Taxi/Guide Confusion

redi2cruz

:eek: I am very confused about transportation on this island. I read where it should only cost 18 limepera (about $1) to take a taxi to West End but that I will probably pay $20 one way-possibly per person. I understand the economic principle or supply and demand but that is a whoppin' mark up. Is it really that much ($80) one way for a family of four or are some people exaggerating? The way I figure it at these prices we would pay $240 for the transportation that we need for the day (3 separate rides) I don't know who or what to believe--I read $5 per cab and then $20 per person for the same journey???????

If that is the case--it makes it seem like hiring a driver and guide for the whole day is a cheaper option. How can this be? I had initially resisted the idea of an all day guide because we would have such little use for one--we will spend several hours doing a zip line tour and then the rest of the time snorkling. Our guide would basically just drive us from one place to the next and back--why pay for an all day guide?

So--is it actually cheaper to hire a driver for the day than pay by the ride? I know that Victor Boden's staff is available for about $100 for a family of four. Can we do much better than that if we wait until we get there and hire someone at the dock on the spot? Is it safe? Or is all of the talk of high taxi rates overblown and we can get our three rides for $5-$10 each?

Someone who has used the taxis on a cruise day recently please help clear my confusion!!!!

I can tell you that in the last 2 years that I have lived here, the cheapest fare I have ever seen on a slow day was about $4 from Coxen Hole (where the ships dock) to West End.

The Roatan info website quoting $1 needs to be updated badly, as it is just not true.:(

On a slow day lately (off season, no ships), you might be able to snag a community bus (collectivo) for a couple bucks for a trip from Coxen Hole to West End...but that would be the cheapest ride....AND those same buses are mostly all booked up on cruiseship days transporting loads and loads of passengers for prepaid excursions, etc......so locals have to pay more too on those days.

In the last 2 years, gasoline has gone up substantially everywhere, and because of the recent hurricane(s), gasoline may also soon be as high as $5 or more per gallon on Roatan. It's expensive to get gasoline shipped to an island and sometimes there is a shortage....That price is reflected in the recent taxi fares.

Recently, $10 one way (not sharing the cab) is typical on non cruiseship days for the trip to WEST END or reverse....Saying that, you must also understand that on cruiseship days, the price is higher as almost every driver is busy.

Based on the demands for a quality vehicle (maybe w A/C), a quality driver (and one who "can" speak English), a customer off a ship is likely to pay anywhere from $10 to $20 one way for a CAB to WEST END or WEST BAY.

You CAN get a better deal than $10 person, if you have 4 people. You will just have to go through the agonizing negotiation process..(grrrr), and you may not get the type of taxi and driver you want. As you leave the ship, the best quality taxis and drivers are featured at the front of the line, and demand a premium price, and will not negotiate.

Remember, Roatan (like the rest of Honduras) is mostly Spanish speaking, and English speaking drivers are not standard, nor are "like-new" taxis.

Indeed you can prebook a day tour with a driver for about $20 per person. Regardless, for 4 people, that ends up being $100. I know for a fact that for only 3 people, they charge $30 per person for taxi for the day.

Alternatively, there is other types of transportation, and I am one of those that offer it.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived