Help with travel insurance please

WeatherGeek

I am about to purchase trip insurance online but am flying two different airlines. I am guessing that if I put that I'm flying Southwest, then it won't cover the AA portion of hte trip and vice versa? Will I have to purchase a separate insurance for the flight back since it is with a different carrier?

Also, the website I was inquiring with for trip insurance prices states that Alamo rental car has ceased operation? I can't find any info on this - have they merged with another rental car co.? :confused:

Thanks!

Don't know if its any different over there to over here..I doubt it will be...but I am using two airlines for my cruise in December and my insurance covered everything, both airlines, all 6 flights, cruise, hotels etc.

Check the small print but I would think it is covered as a package.

Alamo is still in business. Some insurance underwriters exclude coverage on them as they do with a lot of airlines, usually listed somewhere on their website. When you get insurance, it usually covers the entire trip, no matter how many legs.

I am about to purchase trip insurance online but am flying two different airlines. I am guessing that if I put that I'm flying Southwest, then it won't cover the AA portion of hte trip and vice versa? Will I have to purchase a separate insurance for the flight back since it is with a different carrier?

Also, the website I was inquiring with for trip insurance prices states that Alamo rental car has ceased operation? I can't find any info on this - have they merged with another rental car co.? :confused:

Thanks!

First, I am confused. Which travel insurer is requesting the name of the airline and the rental car company? Curious minds want to know.

Second, did you try "insuremytrip.com"? There are about 20 travel insurance suppliers tied to that website. All of the biggies and some specialty companies. The usual quote requires: "what is the cost?, is it cruise, or land or other, ages, and state of residence. Then about 10-20 companies will quote. You can buy immediately. You can also pick and choose options-if you have great homeowner's insurance, you may not need much in baggage coverage. If you have good car insurance, you may not need ANY rental car insurance. Lots of credit cards have rental car insurance included. IMHO, the things you need most are medical (if you are leaving the US-Medicare and lots of insurance companies WILL NOT cover you once off US soil) and medical evacuation. Trip cancellation is also valuable if you or family members have medical issues.

Alamo is still in business-just had one of their cars last week. As JOEK stated, they may be excluded on some policies, just as some airlines and other travel suppliers are.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

greatam - it's Travel Guard. When you go to purchase (actually purchase, not just for the quote) the insurance it asks who your airline carrier is and since there is no option for two carriers, I have to pick one of them. I'm not so much concerned about the car insurance because our current car insurance will cover us, but was moreso just wondering if something happened to Alamo because the website appeared to be perfectly functional and our reservation with them still stands.

I would suggest calling Travel Guard just to be sure but it shouldn't make any difference that you're flying more than one airline. I bought insurance from Travel Guard the other day and called with some questions and they were very helpful.

Second, did you try "insuremytrip.com"? There are about 20 travel insurance suppliers tied to that website. All of the biggies and some specialty companies. The usual quote requires: "what is the cost?, is it cruise, or land or other, ages, and state of residence. Then about 10-20 companies will quote. You can buy immediately. You can also pick and choose options-if you have great homeowner's insurance, you may not need much in baggage coverage. If you have good car insurance, you may not need ANY rental car insurance. Lots of credit cards have rental car insurance included. IMHO, the things you need most are medical (if you are leaving the US-Medicare and lots of insurance companies WILL NOT cover you once off US soil) and medical evacuation. Trip cancellation is also valuable if you or family members have medical issues.

Greatam, question for you. We are traveling Delta to Cancun next February. Unfortunately, I bought the tickets 2 days before they filed and did not get the travel insurance in time. Now, I'm just concentrating on the medical coverage issues. When I ask for a quote, do I include the cost of the air tickets, or just the accommodations since Delta is now excluded from coverage? Thanks

Greatam, question for you. We are traveling Delta to Cancun next February. Unfortunately, I bought the tickets 2 days before they filed and did not get the travel insurance in time. Now, I'm just concentrating on the medical coverage issues. When I ask for a quote, do I include the cost of the air tickets, or just the accommodations since Delta is now excluded from coverage? Thanks

I would think you would still want to include the airfare because if a medical issue comes up, whether relating to a pre-existing condition or medical emergency during travel, than that could change your travel plans which means you may have to cancel flights due to medical reasons, not due to the bankruptcy. I'm assuming you know this but in order for pre-existing conditions to be covered you generally have to purchase trip insurance within 15 days of the initial deposit.

Yes, those 15 days do go quickly!! My DH, DD and I are planning a trip to St John next June and there will be a fair amount of money tied up in non-reimbursable expenses so I put a reminder note in Outlook to be sure I didn't forget to buy the insurance in time after making the initial deposit earlier this month. Check out Travel Guard if you haven't done so already, that's who I purchased our policy from. Our DD's coverage was free so if you happen to have children who will be traveling with you they may be worth considering.

We have BCBS coverage which has the BlueCard international coverage. I would imagine we still need the evacuation, cancellation, etc. coverage. Did I read somewhere on these boards that having medical coverage that covers you internationally doesn't work well somehow with travel insurance??

I don't think you have anything to worry about with regard to the airline name so long as that carrier is not on the list or excluded providers.

The travel insurance thing can be tricky and the small print.....well you know. Anyway, access america will cover pre exhisting conditions if you buy your policy within 24 hours of your FINAL payment.....For most packages.This makes it nice if you miss the 15 day bit with travelguard and the others.

Blue cross international is really great coverage when you get sick out of the country, but it has some limitations and does not really help out with the coordination of care. For instance, a travel insurance company is much more likely to be directly involved with you or the people treating you in the coordination of transportation, medical care, interpretation services and accomodations for one companion. Specifically, they will cover the cost to have you transported home if you break a leg and wish to end your trip or if you need prolonged medical care and wish to get it close to home as opposed to in a foreign country. Depending on the situation BCBS does cover evacuation, but the limits tend to be on the lower side. Additionally, it does not provide for a companion's expenses while the patient is being treated.

My wish for you is that you will never need any of these services!

I used insuremytrip and chose Travelex. I called to ask insuremytrip how to handle 2 air carriers (jetblue and song) - I put down jetblue because that leg was more expensive. They informed me that even though they are different airlines - both legs are covered.

I booked the insurance before Delta/Song filed so I am covered for any changes/delays Song might have, but I am not covered if they stop flying all together. If you have booked with Delta/Song directly you don't get coverage for bankruptcy - but if you booked via a 3rd party like expedia/orbitz/travelocity etc, you are covered if they stop flying due to bankruptcy.

Thought that was interesting to know....

Archived