Sailing to Caribbean From Boston

This may be a dumb question but........ We are booked on Brilliance of the Seas re-positioning cruise Boston to Tampa. I was wondering if there are any sights to see as we sail out of Boston? Can you see anything of New York?

This may be a dumb question but........ We are booked on Brilliance of the Seas re-positioning cruise Boston to Tampa. I was wondering if there are any sights to see as we sail out of Boston? Can you see anything of New York?

The sail away from Boston is pretty cool- you can see downtown really well, you are in the pattern of Logan- so lots of planes, and a lot of small islands as you exit the harbor.

While one theoretically should see the cape, we didn't notice it.

I very much doubt you will be close enough to New York to see it as you pass.

This is what we saw from the Explorer when we cruised through Boston on a NE & Canada cruise. You may get a glimpse of the Boston Harbor skyline if your ship does not depart after it's dark.

1712274758_explorercanne(455).jpg.899adb5ccc31c7db672029d468f6edd4.jpg

I've watched that cruise sail away the past couple years and will be sailing with you this year. Sunset is at 5:45pm, so it will be dark by the time we pass Cape Cod or New York. We will sail right past Fort Independence, a historic stone fort built in the mid 1800s, on our way out of the port. We will also pass Spectacle Island (where they dumped all the dirt from the Big Dig). If the schedule is the same as previous years, the sun will set just as we pass Deer Island, but there should be enough light to see the dramatic lighthouse on The Graves (which we should pass at about 6pm). By the time we pass Cape Cod (8-10pm) it will be pretty dark, and I assume that the ship would be too far from shore to see any of New York (ships like to stay 200 miles off shore whenever possible so that they can use the cheap bunker fuel).

You can see my shore-based sailaway photos from past years at http://brilliance.ahecht.com/pictures

By the time the ship makes it out past Cape Cod and Nantucket, you will be so far east of New York, it would not make sense. They are just going to want to make as straight a line as possible towards your first port of call. Since that will be St Kitts, the ship will be well out to sea.