South America Cruises and Grand Voyages

ZellaLamb

My husband and I are starting to look into his " retirement cruise". He really wants to go on a 2 month cruise around the tip of South America in January 2017. The one ship that I know that does that is HA Prisendam but I've been advised that it wouldn't be a good fit for me. I use a scooter to get around.

Has anyone else done one of these long cruises and can you suggest other alternative options? We've mostly sailed on RC, HA and Celebrity.

Thank you in advance.

Kate

I would not recommend the Prinsendam for mobility impaired. She's an older ship and not nearly as accessible as newer builds. I cruised on her before I was confined to a scooter, but using canes, and even then I had a tough time with accessibility. To be honest, I find that even the newer HAL ships to be less accommodating for those with disabilities than other cruise lines.

You could book a back to back cruise on one ship that would do a complete southern navigation of South America. This is an example of what you'd find: Segment one would be from Chile to Buenos Aires, and the second segment would be from BA to Florida. Other lines start the cruise in Florida, head through the Panama Canal to Chile. Then the second segment would be from Chile to Buenos Aires.

There are all kinds of configurations to be had for longer itineraries to South America, and I know Celebrity and Princess does those cruises, along with the luxury lines. Go to a good local travel agent (no reason to book with them), and they can give you a list of all cruise ships that do the itinerary you're interested in.

Good Luck

Have a look at P&O. They do round the world cruises from Southampton, from January to April usually, and they sell segments separately. They have three or four ships on differing itineraries every year, so there's every chance of getting one that goes round South America.

Hi Kate, I have been around Cape Horn at the tip of South America twice. Once on Carnival Splendor ... 49 days from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco (bxbxb) Feb 2009 and once on Star Princess ... 30 days from San Francisco to Buenos Aires (bxb) Dec 2012.

You need to be aware that there are several tender ports, so your opportunity to go ashore depends on your mobility, size and weight of scooter and sea conditions. Some lines are no longer allowing scooters on tenders.

Nov 2009 I cruised to the Amazon on the Prinsendam. I am a full time scooter user. HAL retrofitted this ship by creating mounds or hills around all steps, some in unexpected areas. All passengers had to be on their toes due to the rolling terrain.

Another way to get an idea of what ships cruise South American itineraries is to look at the Vacations To Go website and play around with their search feature. If you are not locked into Jan, you may find more options.

Good luck. It is a wonderful cruise!

We did round the horn several years ago on Mariner, when I was still using an electric scooter. We have since done up to 70 days on Celebrity ships and they do a nice SA in both directions from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Oceania Marina is another possibility.

We love long cruises and do them every year so far.