Phone service on RC

bleuiz

I have an iPhone with AT & T..is there service available on RC? A friend just booked with Princess..they have availability to text someone who is on the ship, able to see your bill, and ship activities..all from your phone..and for free..does RC have anything similar??

I have an iPhone with AT & T..is there service available on RC? A friend just booked with Princess..they have availability to text someone who is on the ship, able to see your bill, and ship activities..all from your phone..and for free..does RC have anything similar??

Only on Quantum class right now.

Nothing will be free; however, AT&T has told me that my phone will indeed work on the ship, both while at sea and in port. I believe texts are 50 cents each and calls are $2-3 per minute. We will definitely turn off all cellular data, however, so we don't incur any charges beyond that. For our family's purposes, this plan of action seems much less expensive than buying any sort of internet package.

ETA: From my understanding, our texts to each other on the ship are the exact same price as any texts we would send to friends back home.

Edited by clawmachine

ETA: From my understanding, our texts to each other on the ship are the exact same price as any texts we would send to friends back home.

That's correct.

Another important point is that group texts will not function without cellular data, so texts have to be simple (no photo or video) to one person only.

Nothing will be free; however, AT&T has told me that my phone will indeed work on the ship, both while at sea and in port. I believe texts are 50 cents each and calls are $2-3 per minute. We will definitely turn off all cellular data, however, so we don't incur any charges beyond that. For our family's purposes, this plan of action seems much less expensive than buying any sort of internet package.

Yes, it will cost you $.50 to send a text to anyone ship or shore. Receiving text from anyone are free. Also, turning off your Data roaming will not stop anyone from calling you. It is my understanding that if someone calls you will be charged even if you don't answer.

ATT has plans for ships. The least expensive plan is $30.00 and gives you 50 minutes and only $1.00 for each additional minute per phone. This is a good choice if you think there is a chance you would need to talk to someone from home. That way the cost is not outrageous.

Not sure about text but activities available on the compass no need to call on phone. If you need to call home you can call from your room.

Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-7447. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (321) 953-9003. The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to their MasterCard® or Visa®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply.

You can make ship-to-shore calls from your stateroom, 24 hours a day. The cost is $7.95 USD per minute and will be automatically charged to your SeaPass account.

You can also use our onboard Internet Cafés, stateroom Internet connection, or Hot Spots to send an e-mail to your friends or family for a minimal fee.

Yes, it will cost you $.50 to send a text to anyone ship or shore. Receiving text from anyone are free. Also, turning off your Data roaming will not stop anyone from calling you. It is my understanding that if someone calls you will be charged even if you don't answer.

ATT has plans for ships. The least expensive plan is $30.00 and gives you 50 minutes and only $1.00 for each additional minute per phone. This is a good choice if you think there is a chance you would need to talk to someone from home. That way the cost is not outrageous.

thanks! unfortunately, we have 5 smart phones all on our account and AT&T wants that $30 PER phone. So the per text option is still cheaper for us for communication purposes.

Not sure about text but activities available on the compass no need to call on phone. If you need to call home you can call from your room.

Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-7447. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (321) 953-9003. The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to their MasterCard® or Visa®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply.

You can make ship-to-shore calls from your stateroom, 24 hours a day. The cost is $7.95 USD per minute and will be automatically charged to your SeaPass account.

You can also use our onboard Internet Cafés, stateroom Internet connection, or Hot Spots to send an e-mail to your friends or family for a minimal fee.

The cell phone provider cost per minute is half or less of what RC charges though.

Turning off data roaming is sufficient if your phones have such a setting. Leaving cellular data on but data roaming off prevents data charges but does allow sending/receiving picture messages, at least it did on an iphone.

thanks! unfortunately, we have 5 smart phones all on our account and AT&T wants that $30 PER phone. So the per text option is still cheaper for us for communication purposes.

Just remember if anyone calls your phone or leaves a voice mail you will be charged. You could very easily be charged for 2-3 minutes for a voice mail. You will also be charged to listen to the voice mail. If you plan to leave your phone on tell everyone not to call unless its an emergency. But if your number is out to a lot of people or businesses you may get calls you don't want.

We have members in our family with medical conditions so I put the $30.00 plan on just one of our phones just so we have a lower cost option for calls if needed.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

Turning off data roaming is sufficient if your phones have such a setting. Leaving cellular data on but data roaming off prevents data charges but does allow sending/receiving picture messages, at least it did on an iphone.

Turning Data Roaming off does not stop calls or texts. It only stops data. Calls and text are transmitted on 3G/4G/LTE.

Just remember if anyone calls your phone or leaves a voice mail you will be charged. You could very easily be charged for 2-3 minutes for a voice mail. You will also be charged to listen to the voice mail. If you plan to leave your phone on tell everyone not to call unless its an emergency. But if your number is out to a lot of people or businesses you may get calls you don't want.

We have members in our family with medical conditions so I put the $30.00 plan on just one of our phones just so we have a lower cost option for calls if needed.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1944888

Post 10

Edited by setsail

I was told by AT&T that as soon as the call goes to the voice mail message you get charged even if they don't leave a message.

The uncertainty is if they hang up while the phone is still ringing. It all depends on how fast the relays stop the call.

I was told this too. However, they also told me that if I didn't want any calls, I could set the phone to go to voicemail immediately, and then I would not be charged when people left a message.

I was told by AT&T that as soon as the call goes to the voice mail message you get charged even if they don't leave a message.

The uncertainty is if they hang up while the phone is still ringing. It all depends on how fast the relays stop the call.

Maybe this explains it better, no charge when the phone is off or in flight mode

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp?locale=es_US

Edited by setsail