It's not a BOAT......

I just wonder what the Captain or an Officer thinks when someone asks a question about the BOAT they are cruising on!!!

I bet they just want to cringe :D

I don't think they really give a hoot what passengers say to them ....its prolly not very high up on thier list of things to worry about:p

Don't forget!

Quote:

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

I would assume that this guideline was intended primarily to keep people from attacking other posters due to typographical or grammatical mistakes. My comments about pronoun misuse were singling out no specific person and actually were directed at the television, press, and radio media (people who are supposed to be professionals and hire people to check for mistakes). Also, I would think that my pronoun "test" would be useful to quite a few people, particularly those who might be concerned about avoiding grammatical gaffes and the judgments that people sometimes make about them.

Allen

I would assume that this guideline was intended primarily to keep people from attacking other posters due to typographical or grammatical mistakes. My comments about pronoun misuse were singling out no specific person and actually were directed at the television' date=' press, and radio media (people who are supposed to be professionals and hire people to check for mistakes). [/b']Also, I would think that my pronoun "test" would be useful to quite a few people, particularly those who might be concerned about avoiding grammatical gaffes and the judgments that people sometimes make about them.

Allen

I'm sorry! I thought you were singling out some of the CC posters with the following quote.

I don't shudder and grind my teeth when someone calls a boat a ship or a ship a boat. What gets me is when some of these same nit-pickers consistently misuse the pronoun "I", as in, "It was a great cruise for my husband and I".

Although I agree with you about the use of pronouns, I was merely reminding you of the rules. I don't think your "test" will help those that don't think they need help.;)

BTW - My pet peeve is hisself. :eek:

As Captain Speaking on our voyage on the Rhapsody stated in his welcome last year, "a boat is what you get into when the ship is sinking".

He then stated (oh yeah, 1800 out of 2000 pax were from Tex), "How would you like me to call your 3,000 acre ranch, a FARM?"

I am from Texas...and I wouldn't care if you called my 3,000 acre ranch a farm...in fact...most people around here do that very thing. In Texas...we're not really pretentious! Ship or Boat...whatever....I do call them ships...but its really not that big of a deal now is it?!?!

GROAN....Sematics......that means I have to call the bathroom the "head". Excuse me. I refuse to P in a head.

I once told my assistant I would have to sign her up for a Semantics class. She looked confused and then told me she really didn't think she would enjoy painting little figurines!!!!!!!! LOL

I farm oil on my Texas ranch, and it's still a damn boat.

zydecocruiser I have a question for you how do you farm oil on your Texas ranch when your location says you are from Az., if you farm things that means it grows so how water does oil take to grow. I have heard that water and oil do not mix so what is up with that. and what does oil and farms and ranches have to do if it is a boat or a ship.

No wonder my wife tells me I have to much free time

Again... such an odd thing to get up in arms over...

As a Navy brat - I grew up spending a lot of time visiting my dad on board... he was in charge of the engine rooms of some of the biggest "ships" on the ocean and he always called them boats. As did the captain. Then I married a Navy man and he was in charge of "steering the boat" and that was the USS Nimitz... guaranteed to dwarf even a Freedom Class boat...

zydecocruiser I have a question for you how do you farm oil on your Texas ranch when your location says you are from Az., if you farm things that means it grows so how water does oil take to grow. I have heard that water and oil do not mix so what is up with that. and what does oil and farms and ranches have to do if it is a boat or a ship.

No wonder my wife tells me I have to much free time

I am from New Orleans currently residing in Phoenix. One does not have to grow anything to farm. One can farm (lease) mineral rights to land.

Boats don't go very far without earl.

Depends on how you look at it. Isn't the Nimitz shorter than the Freedom? ;)

-Monte

As a matter of fact, Freedom is 20 feet longer than the Nimitz class carriers. But that's probably about the only statistic that is larger.

I'm sure Nimitz can carry more airplanes... ;) :D

Theron

As a matter of fact, Freedom is 20 feet longer than the Nimitz class carriers. But that's probably about the only statistic that is larger.

I'm sure Nimitz can carry more airplanes... ;) :D

Theron

Bet there aren't any chair hogs there! ;)

They threw them in jail! Oh, I mean the brig!:eek: ;)

Archived