Oosterdam Alaska Land-Sea June-July

I'm not going to cover everything that happened, but things that might answer some questions that often come up or are weird.

Three sisters (of a certain age) did a land-sea tour. A night in Fairbanks, three in Denali, one in Anchorage, and then to the ship for a one-week cruise from Seward-Vancouver (cruise Jun 28-Jul 5).

We arrived a day before the official start of the land tour (good move – my luggage went walkabout for a while!). When we arrived (one day early), we went to the Holland America/Princess service desk at the Fairbanks Airport and informed them that we'd be getting ourselves to their hotel the next day, so they sent our packets to the hotel for us to pick up when we got there.

The hotels were all fine, and transportation smooth.

EXCURSIONS: In Denali, we did River Rafting: Canyon Run (through HAL)– it was lots of fun, and they were absolutely wonderful with my mobility-impaired sister. As were the folks in Haines for the Glacier Pt. Wilderness Safari (also through HAL).

EMBARCATION: We were on the train from Anchorage to Seward, and they did our check-in on the train (took our photos and gave us the cards), so we just walked on to the ship. That was cool. OK, I admit: the train arrived around 5 pm: the lines were already gone. But it was still cool.

ELEVATOR DAY-OF-THE-WEEK CARPETS are still there.

MDR FOOD and SERVICE: We had late seating in the MDR, perfect service from stewards and wine steward(ess?). Food was damned good for – admit it - banquet cooking. Escargot turned up on the FIRST “gala” night (such a pleasant surprise!), and was wonderful as usual. Our table-mates and my sisters didn't know that you could order any combination of items from the menu, so they appreciated the info.

However, our one LUNCH IN THE MDR was pretty pitiful: my grilled cheese had incredibly thick boring white bread and barely warmed cheese...

Used ROOM SERVICE for breakfast – always correct. (But we only wanted fruit and cereal with our coffee and tea.) And on time: we indicated 6:30-7 am, and they were there at 6:30 every morning.

Others have commented that the LIDO LUNCH salad choices have shrunk. True. There used to be several cold salads (pasta, tuna, rice, etc.) that I loved for lunch. Gone. It's just a big greens-based salad bar.

THREE WOMEN IN ONE STATEROOM. It worked. We were in a Signature Suite, which gave us a bit of extra room and lovely balcony. We needed the SS because one sister needs a shower instead of a step-into bathtub. There was a long double sink counter, two medicine cabinets, and a long shelf under the sinks. The sisters got the cabinets, and I put my stuff in the shoe shining basket (from the closet) on the undershelf. Worked fine.

No issues with room HVAC and plumbing fine.

Used the $49 all you can want LAUNDRY (for 3 women:, such a deal!). It worked wonderfully – no problems.

STATEROOM STORAGE SPACE: three big suitcases fit under the beds. With the closet, nightstands, desk drawers, 6- drawer dresser, storage stool, and cabinet at end of the sofa, we had more than enough room for all our stuff. We also brought an over-the-door shoe hanger, put it on the outside of one of the closet doors, and though it wasn't full, it was certainly useful for all the hair stuff (multiple brushes, curling irons, etc.) and random stuff.

The SOFA BED bed was pretty comfortable (it was the single one, the kind that isn't a pull-out), and certainly better than any of the other sofa beds I've experienced (I'm the youngest of three - I always get the worst of everything). ("Youngest" is 63.... ) And without asking, the stewards broke it down into a sofa every morning, then back into a bed at night.

I miss “Love in any Language”

My husband and I usually do early get-your-self-off disembarkation. It's always such a zoo with people piled up in hallways, elevators, and stairways. This time, I went for the last off. If was SO Much easier and calm, though it did require putting the luggage out the night before. Don't think I'll go back to do-it-yourself ever again.

Long enough. Questions?

Thank you for the info, and I would like to ask a question. Did you book the river rafting once you got to Denali? I have tried to locate such an excursion on HAL's website for our upcoming land/sea in September, but there isn't one. I've been on-line perusing all the area white water/river rafting companies and there are several to choose from, especially depending upon what class falls and the length of time one wants. Any additional info on your experience would be appreciated. Thx! Liz

Thank you for your review! I am leaving in two weeks for a similar land/sea tour. I just love hearing about others experiences.

I have booked the glacier point wilderness safari, how strenuous would you say the tour is? Thanks again.