Need Advice-Virgin Gorda vs. Dunns River Falls

amy417

Has anyone been to both places? If so , can you tell me which is more challenging to climb? I am scheduled for an excursion to Virgin Gorda baths and want to make sure that I can climb the trail. My only comparison would be Dunns River Falls.

thanks

I have been to both, and Dunn's River is much easier. For one thing, you just go down the falls. Plus many of the original rocks have eroded, and they have built "new" rocks out of fiberglass and whatever, and these rocks have built in step surfaces. If you look closely at the "rocks" you will see this.

The Baths will be more challenging. You hike down a dirt path (maybe a quarter of a mile, I am a horrible judge of distance) and come out on a beautiful little beach. You can go as far into the Baths as you want, or just play among the giant rocks near the beach. If you go through the rocks, you will be on slippery surfaces, using wooden steps, and bending/crouching over to go through some of the passages. HOWEVER, you can go just as far as you want, just remember, you have to turn around and go back the same way!My mom and I went in 2003, she was 70 at the time, and did just fine, even though she has had some back problems. But she's a real go-getter, and I saw a lot of people substantially younger than her turning back. I had been there before, so we just took the ferry over and caught the bus out, so we were not on a "Guided" ship tour. So we went into the Baths at our leisure. I don't know if you are on a ship tour if you go through the Baths in a line, or if they let you just go through on your own. And remember, you have to hike back UP the dirt path to get to the transportation.

All that being said: I have been to both places, both 20 years ago, and again in the past few years. Dunn's River is now sort of a Jamaican Disney-field thing, not wild and natural. But it is pretty, lots of tropical plants all around it, etc. So if you are in port and you've never been before, go.

But the Baths are still relatively natural (the added wood steps, etc, but those do make it easier to navigate). THere are lots of people there, but you still can enjoy a quiet moment or two here or there, and the huge stones are remarkable, even a little eerie. You can stop in the shallow pools between the boulders and rest. Even if you don't wan't to go way into the Baths, you will enjoy the Beach area around some of the huge boulders.

If trying to decide which cruise, based on these 2 destinations, take the cruise that will send you to the Baths!

Additionally, when you get back to Tortola, you can swing by Pusser's for a Painkiller! My mom said it "restored" her!

DABC did an excellent job of describing both Dunn's River Falls and The Baths on Virgin Gorda. I would like to point out, though, that if one goes all the way through The Baths to Devils Bay (beautiful beach, by the way), one does not have to do the reverse to get out. There is a relatively easy path from Devils Bay back up to the top. The path is about three times longer but the elevation change is more gradual than the first path. There should be a small sign pointing out that path back to the top. Enjoy The Baths.

Regards,

Bobby

Thanks DABC. I have been to Dunns river thats why I wanted something to compare to. We are going to Tortola in November. Just wanted to know what I should expect. Being a "fluffy" girl that's out of shape, I was hoping it was less challenging then Dunn's river. There I walked up all of those steps instead of climbing the falls. Should have just climbed the falls with everyone else.

Bobby..are you saying that Devils bay is midway between the bottom of the baths and the top where you board the buses? Is there a way to just walk up to devil's bay without all of the ladders and crawlspaces?

Devils Bay is the 'southernmost' beach on Virgin Gorda and is where you will eventually arrive after leaving the parking lot and restaurant area, going down the path that amost everyone uses, going into, over, around, under and through all the huge boulders and 'caves'. The other trail to Devils Bay starts from the parking lot in a direction directly opposite from the restaurant and up the hill on the east side of the parking lot. The taxi drivers can probably point you in the right direction. This trail is about three times as long as the first path and does not seem logical as you will be going east and away from the water at first but it does wind down and around to the beach at Devils Bay. This second path also is not as steep, generally, as the first path. In my opinion, however, you can best experience The Baths by taking the first trail down to the beach, doing the adventure of going completely through all the boulders, and then relaxing on the beach at Devils Bay. If you do not wish to retrace the strenous trip back through the boulders, you can take the second trail from Devils Bay back to the parking lot and the restaurant.

Any more questions, please ask. Enjoy.

Regards,

Bobby

Archived