Maui on our own

pbinn

I have been reading a lot about stuff to do and there seems to be so much. We were going to do the road to Hana, but i think there are so many other things to do i was wondering if it was worth a whole day to do this. I would like to go to the winery also. Was wondering if anyone had done this and if it is possible to take bottles home with you on the Pride of Aloha. I figured they may hold them till we actually disembark, but i didnt know the policy of the ship. Didnt want them to just take them from me. There is also the canyon and Lahaina we would like to do. Did anyone do anything that they would say is a "don't miss" on Maui? We will have a rental car for the two days we are there. Thanks

Old Lahaina Luau. Beachfront, sunset views, fantastic food and show, lei and mai-tai greeting (virgin offered if you like, mai-tai). Wonderful Hawaiian-Hula-based show.

We found a beach the second morning and slept and read in the sand in the SHADE. No umbrella. It just amazed me that vegetation existed so close to the sand and it was tall enough to provide shade. COOL! (I'm used to east coast beaches.)

We enjoyed the Maui Ocean Center (although pricey). The kids loved it.

The book "Maui Revealed" is really worth the investment. It's written by people who live there and they really know the inside scoop. IMHO the Road to Hana is not for everyone and you may want to postpone that until a future Maui trip sine there are so many fun things to do. I have discovered that going to the local public beaches instead of the resort beaches will give you a whole new perspective. Big Beach in Makena (also called Makena Beach along with a few other names) is the most beautiful Hawaiian beach I've ever seen and I've been to every island except Molokai. Be sure to get a fish taco and shave ice from a roadside truck along the way. Do go to the summit of Haleakala. My absolute favorite restaurant (other than Guy Savoy in Paris) is Mama's Fish House - expensive but worth every penny - they have the best Mai Tai's and a gorgeous view during the day and be sure to make a reservation. We go there directly from the airport when we arrive. Have fun!

Lightbulb03 - Where do you book or find the Old Lahaina Luau? Thanks.

Oooo, that's an easy question to answer!!! I love to talk about this luau.

www.oldlahainaluau.com

We booked ours online, received confirmation via email, brought the email with us and our tickets were waiting when we checked into the luau. This place is very organized and very cool!!!!! Great location with easy parking (across the street, follow the signs that say "luau parking"). We booked about 3 weeks in advance. They have two seating styles; on the ground which is closer to the stage but you have to look up, and in chairs (solid and sturdy) at tables. We shared a table for 8 with two other couples and a teenager which made it 9. Our table was in front of the second level (great view).

We had a bar waiter who brought us a constant flow of drinks and directed us to the buffet when it was our turn. He also brought us our dessert plate and coffee/tea. He was very attentive and fun.

They have authentic crafts for sale (expensive but what isn't) and picture ops. We went for the pictures but were disappointed that some were black and white. Why would we dress in fantastic Aloha shirts with bold colors and buy a black and white photo? Actually it looks kind of cool because it looks old-fashioned. Anyway . . .

The travel channel did a piece on this luau a few weeks ago. I'll bet they'll rerun it. If you have TiVo, make it a wishlist keyword and automatically record it when it does show up. I've been recording all sorts of stuff on Hawaii, cruises and Great Hotels.

More info than you asked for but . . . .

Hope this helps.:)

Before you book Old Lahaina, check out Feast at Lele. It's a little more upscale with better food. The entertainment is fabulous - it's really a Polynesian show that highlights different cultures including Hawaiian, Tahitian, etc. There are 5 differerent performances and the food is served at your table (not a buffet). The food is cuisine from the same culture that's performing with a special wine or beer paired with it. They also have a full bar. So there's five courses served but each course consists of several dishes. The venue is also smaller and more intimate with excellent viewing from every table.

Before you book Old Lahaina, check out Feast at Lele. It's a little more upscale with better food. The entertainment is fabulous - it's really a Polynesian show that highlights different cultures including Hawaiian, Tahitian, etc. There are 5 differerent performances and the food is served at your table (not a buffet). The food is cuisine from the same culture that's performing with a special wine or beer paired with it. They also have a full bar. So there's five courses served but each course consists of several dishes. The venue is also smaller and more intimate with excellent viewing from every table.

Oooo, that sounds neat. Next time we are on Maui we will give this a try. Cool.

Just returned from Maui land vacation. We booked daytime snorkel trip & then an evening Sunset Cocktail cruise on Kiele V, thru Hyatt. Food was good, open bar & crew was great. 55ft catamaran. We motored out & sailed back. It was awesome. Enjoy your stay but just a reminder, everything closes early on Maui. A little disappointed that there was not more nightlife. Guess I am spoiled after cruising.

Any suggestions for a short day on that side of the island? We were going to rent a car and try just the first part of the road to Hana but there are no car rental agencies showing up at Lahaina.... by the time we go to Kaanapali (sp) to get a car and then drive anywhere we will be running out of time.

The ship, Island Princess, shows 8 to 4 for our time in Maui but we have to allow time for tendering and I'm sure they want us back on board at 3:30. I have the Maui revealed book but it looks like some of the best stuff is out of our reach due to time.

What about the shuttle to Kaanapali for a.m. snorkel at black rock and then just snoop around the town of Lahaina? Any other suggested "must sees" on the Lahaina side of Maui??

Kaanapali is just 5 minutes from Lahaina and some of the rental agencies have shuttles. But you'd really have to leave super early to do even a partial Road to Hana tour - I don't know how early the car agencies are open or how early you can get off the ship. What else did you want to do?

I have been reading a lot about stuff to do and there seems to be so much. We were going to do the road to Hana, but i think there are so many other things to do i was wondering if it was worth a whole day to do this. I would like to go to the winery also. Was wondering if anyone had done this and if it is possible to take bottles home with you on the Pride of Aloha. I figured they may hold them till we actually disembark, but i didnt know the policy of the ship. Didnt want them to just take them from me. There is also the canyon and Lahaina we would like to do. Did anyone do anything that they would say is a "don't miss" on Maui? We will have a rental car for the two days we are there. Thanks

I just noticed this. Did you mean the volcano (Haleakala)? The only canyon I know of (that is a big deal and that you can actually get to) is on Kauai. If so, then a trip to Haleakala is good, but several hours of your day with the fair possibility that it will be clouded in (at least partly). You could do one of the sunrise excursions (or on your own), but that means getting up at a horrifically early hour, IMO. Then you would still have a good part of the day for other activities. If you are not going to VNP on the Big Island and don't want to spend a whole day doing the road to/around Hana, then I think Haleakala could be worth seeing. However, we do not consider it a "must see/do" on Maui. There is sooo much else to do. Plus we love the beaches for relaxing, swimming, and snorkeling...so seeing Haleakala (again) isn't a priority for us.

Have a great cruise.:D

beachchick

Yes, Beachchick. that is the one iwas referring to. It is called a crater, so i assumed it was like the one on kaui, didnt realize it was a volcano. We will probably not go there depending on our time, but i did want to go to the winery which is in that area. Still not sure what we will do while we are there, so much to pick from.

We are leaving next week Oct 8 on the POAM. We will be in Maui for two days and renting a car. We have several people and cars and some little ones. We are going to do part of the road as far as we feel good about it. If we decide to turn around I thought we could then go upcountry thru the Makawao and then to the crater. If we have time wanted to go to the winery and then back to the ship in Kahului. The second day maybe the Iao valley and Lahaina. Is this a good itinerary???

On our lst visit we went directly to the crater and then out to Hana and back. I was someone disappointed going up to the crater since it was a long windy road up. The views were great looking down at the island but we went through clouds and rain before getting there and it was so cold that we walked around for 5-l0 minutes, went to the visitors center and came back down. Seemed like a lot of time for what we saw. I enjoyed the trip to Hana much more than the visit to the crater. To Hana we saw the waterfalls, great ocean views, flower nurserys, a black lava beach and blowhole and enjoyed the ice cream at a beach area in Hana. We are going in January and again, I will go to Hana.

John L.

But do you have time to tender in, get car, drive road to Hana, return car and get back to ship in time. We are off the Island Princess(8AM to 6Pm)????

The answer is "probably," but a further question is this: Do you want your memories of Maui to be of rushing and driving all day long? If you can get right off the ship; if you can get the car rented quickly; if you can get on the road (you still have to cross the island and will be well behind the early birds and you will likely hit more traffic on the road to Hana); if you go, go, go; if you then drive back across the island and turn in the car and get on a tender to get back on the ship on time...that's a lot of "if"s, IMO. Figure, by the time you get to the beginning of the road to Hana it's going to be 10 am or so (maybe a bit earlier). If you drive there and back, you need to plan at least 4 hours (and that includes basically no stops). So, by the time you finish it's going to be mid-afternoon (at least). Then you still have to get back over to Lahaina.

It's entirely up to you, of course. Many people consider the road to Hana an absolute must do, even if it means foregoing a relaxing island day. Nothing wrong with that, but it's sure not my idea of a fun day. Also, I assume that when you say tender, you mean Lahaina. As far as I know, ships that dock in Kahului dock (no tender). If you are in at kahului, then it's a different time frame altogether. First, no wait for a tender. Second, you are already close to the beginning of the road to Hana. Still, there is so much to do, that we don't consider it the be-all and end-all of Maui.

If you decide to do it, keep a very close eye on the time. Sometimes traffic and construction can slow you up substantially getting from Lahaina to Kahului (and vice-versa).

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful cruise.

beachchick

Rushing around doesnt seem like my idea of a vacation either. luckily for us we are docked over night so will keep the car for the two days. Still not sure about the road to Hana. We would love the scenic views, but just not sure of the windy roads and traffic. I'm sure what ever we decide we will have a great time. Just looking forward to seeing the beautiful island.

We leave tomorrow and i having been planning this trip on the POAM for months!!! Now I feel that Im not sure what to do in Maui??? We live near beautiful beaches in West coast Florida but no mountains....The road to Hana sounds so beautiful but dont know if this is a good thing to do with small children who will be in our group. I thought the crater sounded good but now not so sure. The redwood forest also looks interesting and the winery. so much to do and so little time!!!!

OK, beachchick, you talked me out of the road to Hana. Everything you said made sense. We WILL be out of Lahaina. Now could you play trip advisor and maybe give me an intinerary that you think a first time visitor should follow. Thanks for any help.

Archived