Back from the Spirit - July 2015

I'm back from my 14 nights Ancient Wonders and Aegean & the Holy Land cruise, my first time on the Spirit, but my 5th Thomson & 12th cruise in total.

I wondered how I'd feel going on my smallest ship after the last one (RCI Freedom of the Seas) was the World's 4th biggest at the time, but in fact I didn't notice the size difference much at all - in fact it was nice only having to walk 2 flights of stairs to get to food [emoji3]

I had single cabin 589 on deck 3, and asked for it to have a double bed layout, as I can only sleep in one bed. Cabin size was perfect, but the age of the ship showed with a constant rattle when in port (no chance of an afternoon nap, not that I had time), the loo didn't stop flushing & flooded the bathroom 3 times (thankfully I caught it or the cabin would have been next) and the phone was a 1980s original (I bet parents have fun explaining that's what phones were like in the olden days!) That said you could tell it had been decorated, housekeeping were quick to clean up the floods, my cabin stewards were superb and all in the faults were minor and problems resolved quickly which is what really matters.

I've been on the Majesty & Dream but I have to say I think the bars (Raffles, High Spirits & Horizons) and the theatre are my favourites of any ship. I understand now why so many people like this ship. It lacks a decent top deck pool, but they use what they have well, though your only chance of a poolside sunbed is if you are an orange towel!

I ate in the Lido for breakfast, discovered Chefs Corner for hot sandwiches or had high tea for lunch, and had the same table with Larry & Robert in the Compass Rose for dinner. I never had a bad meal and was spoilt for choice on all but one night, and even then I picked well.

For me cruises are all about the shows and as usual the show team were excellent, and the entertainment team were great as well and the bands in the bars were good singers and very entertaining. I didn't have time to see everything that was going on. I've seen the comedians before, they are good, but if Thomson are going to bring people back every year they should ask them to do a new routine at least, as it was the same act as last time too.

I did notice that although I met a few first timers this ship was full of people who'd done loads of cruises and kept coming back. I see a lot of criticism of Thomson on these boards, but the ship was full of people coming back, which is the real testament of how good they are.

As a single I also noticed this ship was full of singles. We were up to 10 at dinner on week 1 and had a whale of a time together. It was a different crowd on week 2 and I had a busier week of tours, so didn't join in as much, but I'd recommend this as a good choice for solos.

Overall I had a fantastic cruise once again. I'm a bit torn between the out dated cabins (especially as I've been spoilt by more modern ships), but I still don't think you can beat the entertainment and I'd happily visit these bars again.

Actually the best 2016 Thomson itinerary for me is on the Spirit, so I may well be back. [emoji41]

For anyone interested my ports of call were:

ISTANBUL - did the ship's Easy Istanbul tour as I wanted to go to the Asian side. It was more of a photo stop before coming back to the historic centre for 2 hours on our own. I did the cistern & Blue Mosque - both well worth it. This trip worked perfectly for me, but I'd definitely have a DIY trip next time.

BOZCAADA - Ship's tour to Troy. The ruins aren't as spectacular as say Ephasus, but definitely worth ticking off the to do list. The museum wasn't worth the extra hours travel, although we did get a view of Gallipoli on the way there.

KUSADASI - been 3 times before, so this was a lazy day wandering the market then grabbing a sun bed.

ATHENS - thanks everyone who recommended the X80 bus. 4 euros return, walked through the Plaka (paid 2 euros to visit a couple of ruins, think it was 12 euros for the lot including the Acropolis ), then paid 6 euros for the Happy Train tour of the big sites, including a hop off at the Acropolis if you wanted. A great day for less than 20 euros.

SANTORINI - ship's tour to Oia village, including a wine tasting stop, followed by free time in Thira. Didn't risk DIY due to the Greek upheaval at the time and this was the new place/highlight of my week. Loved it, was not disappointed at all.

MARMARIS - full day in port for changeover day. Just walked along the beachfront, bazaar and visited the fort, before a lazy afternoon on the ship.

ASHDOD - Day 1 ship's Jerusalem & Bethlehem tour - it's an early start and long day (10 hours), but is just fabulous. I'm religious enough to appreciate seeing the Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane & places were Jesus was born & crucified, as well as the Western Wall & Dome of the Rock. The only downside after 2 days in Israel was that everywhere else felt like a bit of an anticlimax.

- Day 2 Ship's Masada & The Dead Sea tour. Another 11 hour day, but again well worth the long drive. Trip up the cable car to the Masada fort, our guide explained the story of the Zealots on the way. Then lunch at the Lot Hotel (like the ship's buffet) on the shore of the Dead Sea, before using their beach for our Dead Sea "float" - definitely an experience to tick off the list too.

LARNACA - ship's shuttle bus cost £5 return. 2 hours was enough to see the town, though there's a nice big beach if that's your thing. Was really just a rest day after Israel though for me.

ALANYA - nice seaside resort you walk into straight off the ship, with a big fortress that I wasn't tempted to climb. I did walk round the base though and visited the Caves (worth 5TL ~£1.25, but I'd have been disappointed if I'd paid for the ship's tour) and also the interesting small archaeological museum (again 5TL, worth it for the air con!). There are lots of shops here too.

RHODES TOWN - have been before and love to just walk off the ship and explore the narrow streets.

All my official tours were with the ship. I prepaid before I travelled which was a couple of pounds cheaper, but guaranteed the tours I wanted. Tickets were in my cabin on day 1 each week. All of the ones I went on were very good, but I don't mind being part of a larger crowd and our guides did a good job of avoiding crowds.

Edited by GaryT-UK

ISTANBUL - did the ship's Easy Istanbul tour as I wanted to go to the Asian side. It was more of a photo stop before coming back to the historic centre for 2 hours on our own. I did the cistern & Blue Mosque - both well worth it. This trip worked perfectly for me, but I'd definitely have a DIY trip next time.

BOZCAADA - Ship's tour to Troy. The ruins aren't as spectacular as say Ephasus, but definitely worth ticking off the to do list. The museum wasn't worth the extra hours travel, although we did get a view of Gallipoli on the way there.

KUSADASI - been 3 times before, so this was a lazy day wandering the market then grabbing a sun bed.

ATHENS - thanks everyone who recommended the X80 bus. 4 euros return, walked through the Plaka (paid 2 euros to visit a couple of ruins, think it was 12 euros for the lot including the Acropolis ), then paid 6 euros for the Happy Train tour of the big sites, including a hop off at the Acropolis if you wanted. A great day for less than 20 euros.

SANTORINI - ship's tour to Oia village, including a wine tasting stop, followed by free time in Thira. Didn't risk DIY due to the Greek upheaval at the time and this was the new place/highlight of my week. Loved it, was not disappointed at all.

MARMARIS - full day in port for changeover day. Just walked along the beachfront, bazaar and visited the fort, before a lazy afternoon on the ship.

ASHDOD - Day 1 ship's Jerusalem & Bethlehem tour - it's an early start and long day (10 hours), but is just fabulous. I'm religious enough to appreciate seeing the Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane & places were Jesus was born & crucified, as well as the Western Wall & Dome of the Rock. The only downside after 2 days in Israel was that everywhere else felt like a bit of an anticlimax.

- Day 2 Ship's Masada & The Dead Sea tour. Another 11 hour day, but again well worth the long drive. Trip up the cable car to the Masada fort, our guide explained the story of the Zealots on the way. Then lunch at the Lot Hotel (like the ship's buffet) on the shore of the Dead Sea, before using their beach for our Dead Sea "float" - definitely an experience to tick off the list too.

LARNACA - ship's shuttle bus cost £5 return. 2 hours was enough to see the town, though there's a nice big beach if that's your thing. Was really just a rest day after Israel though for me.

ALANYA - nice seaside resort you walk into straight off the ship, with a big fortress that I wasn't tempted to climb. I did walk round the base though and visited the Caves (worth 5TL ~£1.25, but I'd have been disappointed if I'd paid for the ship's tour) and also the interesting small archaeological museum (again 5TL, worth it for the air con!). There are lots of shops here too.

RHODES TOWN - have been before and love to just walk off the ship and explore the narrow streets.

All my official tours were with the ship. I prepaid before I travelled which was a couple of pounds cheaper, but guaranteed the tours I wanted. Tickets were in my cabin on day 1 each week. All of the ones I went on were very good, but I don't mind being part of a larger crowd and our guides did a good job of avoiding crowds.

Great review Gary. Good to hear the Spirit has still got what it takes. Our favourite ship.

Malc.

I'm back from my 14 nights Ancient Wonders and Aegean & the Holy Land cruise, my first time on the Spirit, but my 5th Thomson & 12th cruise in total.

I wondered how I'd feel going on my smallest ship after the last one (RCI Freedom of the Seas) was the World's 4th biggest at the time, but in fact I didn't notice the size difference much at all - in fact it was nice only having to walk 2 flights of stairs to get to food [emoji3]

I had single cabin 589 on deck 3, and asked for it to have a double bed layout, as I can only sleep in one bed. Cabin size was perfect, but the age of the ship showed with a constant rattle when in port (no chance of an afternoon nap, not that I had time), the loo didn't stop flushing & flooded the bathroom 3 times (thankfully I caught it or the cabin would have been next) and the phone was a 1980s original (I bet parents have fun explaining that's what phones were like in the olden days!) That said you could tell it had been decorated, housekeeping were quick to clean up the floods, my cabin stewards were superb and all in the faults were minor and problems resolved quickly which is what really matters.

I've been on the Majesty & Dream but I have to say I think the bars (Raffles, High Spirits & Horizons) and the theatre are my favourites of any ship. I understand now why so many people like this ship. It lacks a decent top deck pool, but they use what they have well, though your only chance of a poolside sunbed is if you are an orange towel!

I ate in the Lido for breakfast, discovered Chefs Corner for hot sandwiches or had high tea for lunch, and had the same table with Larry & Robert in the Compass Rose for dinner. I never had a bad meal and was spoilt for choice on all but one night, and even then I picked well.

For me cruises are all about the shows and as usual the show team were excellent, and the entertainment team were great as well and the bands in the bars were good singers and very entertaining. I didn't have time to see everything that was going on. I've seen the comedians before, they are good, but if Thomson are going to bring people back every year they should ask them to do a new routine at least, as it was the same act as last time too.

I did notice that although I met a few first timers this ship was full of people who'd done loads of cruises and kept coming back. I see a lot of criticism of Thomson on these boards, but the ship was full of people coming back, which is the real testament of how good they are.

As a single I also noticed this ship was full of singles. We were up to 10 at dinner on week 1 and had a whale of a time together. It was a different crowd on week 2 and I had a busier week of tours, so didn't join in as much, but I'd recommend this as a good choice for solos.

Overall I had a fantastic cruise once again. I'm a bit torn between the out dated cabins (especially as I've been spoilt by more modern ships), but I still don't think you can beat the entertainment and I'd happily visit these bars again.

Actually the best 2016 Thomson itinerary for me is on the Spirit, so I may well be back. [emoji41]

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Thankyou so much for your honest informative review. As yourself we have cruised with Thomson x RCI 4 times, and love them both, agree though that Thomson Staff x entertainment are far better than the big glitzy ships. We are doing the Holy Land Cruise on Spirit at the end of September. Only prebooked for Jerusalem x Dead Sea with Israelguidedtours, just hope we can get some others to make up a group. Will do our own thing for the other ports. Really exited now after reading your review.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, they were all orange.

I was being a bit flippant because I saw loads of sunbeds reserved with orange towels and never saw any actual people use them for hours in some cases. Really annoying when people are wandering round trying to find a space, especially on sea days.

:) Sorry - that went over my head and I did read somewhere that on some cruise lines different coloured towels mean different things.

I agree totally with you. Even though they say that possessions (and I assume this would include towels) left unattended for longer than 45 mins will be removed, I never saw it enforced.

i have noticed that they do enforce the 45 minute rule on the dream usually only on the sea day (if people are complaining about sunbeds being reserved) we got a ticket once and we had only gone to the bar:rolleyes:

imo thoms dont like to enforce rules too much (sunbed reserving, dress codes, adult/family/kids pools etc etc)

Was the entrance to Dead Sea extra or included in the Tour price ?

Was the entrance to Dead Sea extra or included in the Tour price ?

My tour was the ship's Masada & The Dead Sea and cost £99.

It included the tour & cable car at Masada, lunch in the Lot Hotel at the Dead Sea, then we used their beach to go in the sea - you could use the hotel facilities too. It was all very modern, but didn't spoil the experience at all.

I have heard of people going just to the Dead Sea, but they seemed to just scramble down the rocks into the sea, so presumably not at a resort - so it may be worth checking what you are actually getting for your money.