Flying to Vancouver day before cruise - HELP!

pina colada girl

Hello everyone -

We are flying into Vancouver the day before our May 30, 2016 Alaska cruise. We need suggestions about which hotel to stay in that is nice and will not break the bank. We are looking at the Holiday Inn Express Riverport Richmond because it states they have an airport shuttle. It is also mentioned that they have a cruise shuttle, but for a fee. Has anyone ever stayed here and used the cruise shuttle? If so, could you tell me how much the shuttle costs?

If an option is another hotel without a shuttle, is it a good idea to use the SkyTrain? Where do you get on the SkyTrain at? Does the SkyTrain go to the cruise port? I know I have a lot of questions, but we have never been to Vancouver before and are looking into our options. We live in a rural area and we have not found a flight that leaves on the day of the cruise that will get us there in time, so we decided it would be best to come in a day before. We just don't know what to do. Any suggestions and advice is very much appreciated!! Thank you so much.

Unless you want to stay in the Riverport area of Richmond - and it does have some attractions, decent restos, waterfront - don't stay in your currently-considering hotel. It is FAR from the airport, and even further from Vancouver, and nowhere near SkyTrain.

All the hotels near the airport have free shuttles. Generally-speaking they are cheaper than downtown, but not enough cheaper that if you took a cab both ways you'd save money. If you do want to save cash with an airport hotel then you must 100% use SkyTrain to come into town for your sightseeing. There is a line that goes to the airport (and also near hotels in west Richmond) and runs to within 3 blocks walk of the pier.

Hard to advise on ticket options for 2016 as we are finally rolling out a new ticketing system, so until that's actually in place and various bugs ironed out things could change quite a bit from now. This is the website for the transit authority though - you'll always be able to find routes, timings, prices etc. here.

If all you need is a clean, safe room for overnight, the best value in town is the YWCA hotel. It's downtown, convenient for many of the popular areas on foot (Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown), close to SkyTrain if you want to use that to come in from the airport, has HOHO bus stops close by, has full-size kitchens so you can save even more by making your own breakfast/lunch if you like - and all your fees go to help support local YWCA programs.

What to do when you get here...? What NOT to do more like! Aside from really historic buildings, Vancouver has pretty much anything you could ever want to see, do, eat and drink. We ain't cheap, but we're damn pretty! With many months to plan, try hitting up your local library for travel books, browse the West Coast Departures and Canada/Pacific forums here (there''s info about Vancouver here on the Alaska board too, but most threads end up in one of the first two boards).

When you have a general idea, come back and ask specifics to get advice targeted to you - letting us know who's traveling with you, their ages, interests, kinds of food you all love/hate/are allergic to, if anyone has trouble walking, actual budget numbers rather than vague terms that mean something different to everyone etc. enables the best quality replies.

Edited by martincath
spelling

Sky Train --Canada Line--http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/public-transportation.aspx

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d182556-Reviews-YWCA_Hotel_Vancouver-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

My preference is to stay close to downtown and Canada Place --the cruise terminal. There are reasonably priced hotels in the area. If you do a search on Tripadvisor for Vancouver near Canada Place you will find them.

Edited by Alaskanb

We are flying into Vancouver the day before our May 30, 2016 Alaska cruise. We need suggestions about which hotel to stay in that is nice and will not break the bank. We are looking at the Holiday Inn Express Riverport Richmond because it states they have an airport shuttle. It is also mentioned that they have a cruise shuttle, but for a fee.

If an option is another hotel without a shuttle, is it a good idea to use the SkyTrain? Where do you get on the SkyTrain at? Does the SkyTrain go to the cruise port? I know I have a lot of questions, but we have never been to Vancouver before and are looking into our options.

We just don't know what to do. Any suggestions and advice is very much appreciated!! Thank you so much.

Some thoughts....

• it's better to arrive a day before.... a lot of things can delay a flight and mess up your vacation. You want to relax, not stressed up for your time off.
  • the Holiday Inn you suggested in not my favourite choice for trains to downtown.
  • Vancouver has lots of accommodations for various budgets. Some popular budget suggestions....
    • Blue Horizon on Robson
    • Empire Landmark
    • Hampton Inn downtown (not the airport!)
    • Delta Suites
    • Raddison Airport Vancouver (in Richmond, my fav for Skytrain access as it's across the street)

[*]Vancouver is bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. You might need extra days pre and post cruise.

[*]when travelling with luggage, I prefer the $31/$35 taxi door to door carload over the $9 per adult subway/train ride into the city. It's about an 8 minute walk from the train station to the cruise terminal. Workable if you travel light... otherwise taxi's are very affordable.

[*]Vancouver is on sale right now.... the currency has collapsed.

Feel free to send your questions here.... there are several locals here eager to answer your questions.

Welcome to Vancouver.....

txO8VK4LaLQ ZLL6du--lQA vIvtsz1b60Q EvH_ROLyUZQ Gcyt8Xdvsgs

We are cruising May '16 and we have booked 2 nights (used Hilton points) at the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Vancouver - Downtown. It gets very good ratings and while not cheap - it certainly isn't among the very pricey. Check it out.

You still have a year to go, but the CAD is really crappy right now. Also, as an American Citizen, you can get the tax on your lodging refunded after you return home. Its a matter of filling out an easy form( don't go thru the companies that do it for you, its not that hard).

I booked the Blue Horizon right down town on Priceline. It was somewhat pricy but well worth it. The city views were amazing, right near shopping and restaurants. You are not far from the port at all. We loved it. If you have one day free, check out Land sea Tours. They have plenty of options to choose from, your luggage stays right with you and they drop and pick you up wherever you need to go. We did the Sea to Sky tour and the 4 hour city tour the next day. We loved this company!!!