Skagway - Train/Bus Excursion

ontariocruiser2010

Just wondering do all excursions cross into the Yukon when taking the train. Also wondering if anyone has done the train/bus into the gold mine camp..is it worth it?

I do want to go one way on the train and then the other on the bus..two different perspectives.

Any other suggestions for in town at Skagway once this excursion is over?

Thanks!

Just wondering do all excursions cross into the Yukon when taking the train. Also wondering if anyone has done the train/bus into the gold mine camp..is it worth it?

I do want to go one way on the train and then the other on the bus..two different perspectives.

Any other suggestions for in town at Skagway once this excursion is over?

Thanks!

NONE of the Fraser/White Pass Train trips go into the Yukon. the only train that goes into the Yukon is the Lake Bennett train- which is the longest and most costly tour. :)

The gold mine tour doesn't go into the Yukon either.

If you want to go into the Yukon, you have to take a combo tour- that includes Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing etc.

I know that people here are being very technical as Fraser is in BC and not the YT. Carcross is in YT as is Emerald Lake.

The trains run one way to both Carcross via Bennett with bus return to Skagway

One way to Fraser with bus return to Skagway or on to Carcross then back to Skagway.

RT to the summit and back to Skagway.

Some combo tours do the RT train and then out to the attractions just outside Skagway - others go to Fraser with a bus return and visit the attractions.

Take a look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com for more info on what to do in Skagway as well as other AK ports.

I know that people here are being very technical as Fraser is in BC and not the YT. Carcross is in YT as is Emerald Lake.

I don't find being "accurate" with information - being "technical" which sounds negative. This is an area that is of interest for some visitors- who want the claim of being in the "Yukon". You don't see excited trip reports about getting into BC. :)

It is a common wrong assumption, I see over and over, even returning visitors will sometimes, "report" they went to the "Yukon" when they clearly did not. John Heald on Carnival last year- consistently "recommended" people take the "train to get into the Yukon" when referring to the round trip- kept it up the 3 weeks I sailed with him.

Just trying to post the facts. :)

Check out Trails of 98 TNT tours. We just did the 7 hour tour. They picked us right at the dock and drove us in a very comfortable van (party of 10)

all the way to Carcross into Canada and then up to Emerald Lake. Views and things we saw were amazing. Michele our guide did a great job of staying ahead of all the other vans and buses. We had an fantastic time with her. I would highly recommend it to anyone!