Booking Steakhouse first night question

bklsmom

It's been several years since we have cruised, and I notice a lot of new things and some changes. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, so I'm going to ask....We use to always book the steakhouse for the first night, because you got a free bottle of wine with booking first night. Does anyone know if you still get this, with the steakhouse booking for the first night? We love to start and end our week eating at the Steakhouse...but the free wine on the first was always nice.

We booked the Steakhouse for the first day, but not because of the wine. We hear on this board the wine is mediocre at best. We book the first night because the first night seems the most chaotic in the MDR. We can relax in the Steakhouse and start our YTD night two. We already have reservations for Jan.3.

Edited by coevan

I do believe they still offer the free bottle of wine on the first night. We received it last year on the Breeze. We are foregoing the first night this year because we are sailing from San Juan and don't want to have to rush for the muster drill.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

In answer to your question, yes, you get a free bottle of wine if you make a reservation for the steakhouse on the first night. Several people have commented that the wine (red or white) is not that great. We're not wine connoisseurs, so we don't have a problem with it. We typically choose the white wine, and each have a glass during our meal. We take the bottle back to our cabin, and finish it off during the course of the cruise. We don't make our reservation on the first night based on the free bottle of wine. For us, it's a good way to start the cruise, and then we have YTD for the rest of the cruise. The wine is offered free, but there's no obligation to accept it. You can always say "No thank-you" and order something else.

It's been several years since we have cruised, and I notice a lot of new things and some changes. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, so I'm going to ask....We use to always book the steakhouse for the first night, because you got a free bottle of wine with booking first night. Does anyone know if you still get this, with the steakhouse booking for the first night? We love to start and end our week eating at the Steakhouse...but the free wine on the first was always nice.

Check, on recent cruises it has been first & second nights.

I can confirm you get the free bottle of wine at the first night in the steakhouse. I have also received a free bottle of wine in the steakhouse on the first MDR elegent night which is usually the second night of most cruises.

I get the red that is offered and it is good and is just fine for a steakhouse meal. Enjoy the steakhouse.The red or white wine that is offered is Santa Carolina from Chile:cool:

I believe that a free bottle of wine is offered on the first night of the cruise and again on the first formal night. Some complain that it's a cheap wine. Since I am not a connoisseur of fine wine, I am happy with it. Those that complain do have options and wouldn't be the ones to book solely for a free bottle. Me? I'm very happy with their offer. I mean, I am on a ship. What more could I ask for?

I am cruising in 9 weeks (yes, single digit weeks!) and my group of 16 is planning on starting our cruise in The Steakhouse and ending the last night of the cruise in Cucina del Capitano.

My questions for those who have booked the Steakhouse the first night is this: usually due to luggage delivery and such not always completed by the first seating, is the dress code a little more relaxed the first night in the Steakhouse too? None in the party are planning on wearing shorts, but we were not planning on getting too dressed up the first night (dresses and suits). Is smart casual okay to wear? Or should we plan on getting a bit more dressy like we do when we usually eat in the Steakhouse mid-week.

We just don't want to be "that group" that people will talk about! :p

coevan: I know that there are no seating for The Steakhouse.

We have a reservation. Was just wondering if the first night's dress code is a bit more relaxed without getting seriously dressed (dresses for the ladies and coats for the guys). Usually the first night in the MDR is a bit more relaxed and did not know if this carried to the specialty restaurants as well.

I book for the wine... a bottle which I consider a STEAL of a deal because it runs about 80 on the ship and if I could get it stateside, it would be 150 a bottle.

:D And the food is just a bonus. Lobster bisque! ..which I could have as a meal all week long if it were offered 'to go'.

I am cruising in 9 weeks (yes, single digit weeks!) and my group of 16 is planning on starting our cruise in The Steakhouse and ending the last night of the cruise in Cucina del Capitano.

My questions for those who have booked the Steakhouse the first night is this: usually due to luggage delivery and such not always completed by the first seating, is the dress code a little more relaxed the first night in the Steakhouse too? None in the party are planning on wearing shorts, but we were not planning on getting too dressed up the first night (dresses and suits). Is smart casual okay to wear? Or should we plan on getting a bit more dressy like we do when we usually eat in the Steakhouse mid-week.

We just don't want to be "that group" that people will talk about! :p

Except for elegant nights, the only restriction for the steakhouse is no shorts. When we booked during the cruise, she told us shorts were not allowed. I asked her if jeans were and Tshirts were ok and she said yes. We were celebrating a birthday and we had a group TShirt that someone had made up special for everyone. We would have been ok if she had said no jeans but we had to be allowed the tshirts. Both were fine.

I've read on here that if you don't want the 'free' wine, you can order from the wine list and receive a 50% discount. Anyone confirm that?

We sailed Legend a few weeks ago. We went to the steakhouse the first night. DH ordered the bottle of red wine. Since I don't drink red, I asked the hostess, very nicely of course, if I could buy a bottle of moscato at 50% off. She checked with the steakhouse manager who said yes so we got both.

coevan: I know that there are no seating for The Steakhouse.

We have a reservation. Was just wondering if the first night's dress code is a bit more relaxed without getting seriously dressed (dresses for the ladies and coats for the guys). Usually the first night in the MDR is a bit more relaxed and did not know if this carried to the specialty restaurants as well.

I always slacks/or jeans/golf shirt boarding, no problem. Not sure about shorts, if no luggage, might b ok.

Edited by texast518