Looking for thoughts on our excursions

bethohio3

We're cruising next month on the Star Princess--we're cruising northbound and then 6 nights on land. I'm interested in thoughts about our plans, especially Fairbanks.

Ketchikan -- kayaking to Orca's Cove with Southeast Sea Kayaks

Juneau -- trip to Tracy Arm Fjord with Adventure Bound

Skagway -- renting a Jeep from Green Jeep and driving to Emerald Lake with 2 friends

Talkeetna (afternoon)-- wandering around and we'll book a last minute flight seeing if the weather is good

Talkeetna (day 2) -- ATV with DeVore’s Alaska Wilderness ATV Tours

Denali (afternoon) -- whitewater rafting (Princess tour)

Denali (day 2) -- shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center

Fairbanks (afternoon) -- Princess Riverboat excursion

Fairbanks (day 2) -- Antique automobile museum and ??

Fairbanks (night 2) -- considering Chena Hot Springs Resort

Fairbanks (day 3) -- ??

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

One thought is your Juneau plan... Some go to Tracy Arm for glacier viewing..... As Glacier Bay is part of your ship itinery.... you may want to do Juneau related things like a whale watch and/or Mendenhall.

I've done the trip with Adventure Bound 5-6 times and it is near the top of my list for excursions anywhere. Captain Steve is fantastic. Being up close and at water level is a far different experience than seeing Glacier Bay from the cruise ship. They do have some stuff for purchase aboard but I always bring some things to snack on as it is a long day. I also bring along a book for the long ride but seem to rarely get a chance to open it and just sit out on the aft deck and enjoy the scenery. If you do a search you can find some photos I've posted of my trips to Tracy Arm

I've done the drive from Skagway many times. Unless you are heading off road somewhere the jeep isn't necessary and you can probably save some money by renting a car from Avis. If you do this I like to get there before 8am when they open for a quick start ahead of the other cars /buses. This year a saw a bear alongside the road just out of town and stopped in the middle of the road for some time before he wandered off. At that time thee was no other traffic to bother us both :)

We did the shorter version of the Southeast Sea Kayaks tour last year. We thought it was a great company, the guides were professional and the equipment was top quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.explorefairbanks.com do your homework on what is available. Also head to your library. You have a LOT of "nothing" time in Fairbanks. Are you going to have a car? I would have one for at least 2 days. Doing an Arctic flight is high on my list.

In my opinion Chena Hot Springs is a winter destination. But people do seem to enjoy the Ice Museum- which is "art", very interesting. If you are going to swim, take an old bathing suit you don't care about. Some have been known to turn some funky colors. :) If on a budget- verify your charges in advance so you're not "surprised".

You're right about the homework, Budget Queen. A family emergency has interrupted my planning. I don't think we'll stay so unplanned! I love to plan trips but didn't get to Fairbanks before life intervened.

The Jeep over car for the Yukon is because my husband loves Jeeps [emoji7]. He still misses the one he used to have.

It's nice to hear that others have had good experiences on the excursions we're planning!

The reason we're considering Chena Hot Springs is in hopes of seeing the aurora. It'll be mid-September--early but not impossible.

Edited by bethohio3

The reason we're considering Chena Hot Springs is in hopes of seeing the aurora. It'll be mid-September--early but not impossible.

If aurora is your priority, then you have to stay overnight there. I would recommend 2 nights.

We rented from Green Jeeps in Skagway because my husband also loves them. They were great! Quick easy pickup and return. The binder they give you has info about all the stops you can make complete with pictures. We were lucky to see and watch four different bears. The jeep was nice because you sit up high. There are so many great things to do in Fairbanks. I got most of my info from TripAdvisor. We rented a car at the airport from Avis. These are things we enjoyed and may be worth looking into if they interest you: Museum of the North at University of Alaska, the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitor Center (free), Yukon Quest Museum, Gold Dredge 8 tour. Our two favorite days in Fairbanks were: fishing for arctic grayling in a river from a raft with Alaska Fishing and Raft and a drive to the Arctic Circle and back with Alaska-Wildlife-Guide LLC. Some will tell you it's too long a day in a van (very true, it is a long day in a van) and you should at least fly one way. Cost was an issue for us so we went with the van ride and loved every minute of it. The guide was fabulous, made many stops, and provided great food. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose. You can't go wrong in such an amazing place!

Regarding Fairbanks, the "Princess Riverboat excursion" is most likely the Riverboat Discovery.

Also given the amount of time in Fairbanks I would suggest looking at the tours offered by the Northern Alaska Tour Company (http://www.northernalaska.com). This highly reputable local company specializes in tours north of Fairbanks and off the beaten path. In the past they have offered some overnight aurora tours to Coldfoot.

Regarding Fairbanks, the "Princess Riverboat excursion" is most likely the Riverboat Discovery.

Also given the amount of time in Fairbanks I would suggest looking at the tours offered by the Northern Alaska Tour Company (http://www.northernalaska.com). This highly reputable local company specializes in tours north of Fairbanks and off the beaten path. In the past they have offered some overnight aurora tours to Coldfoot.

I have used this company several times, and also agree, they are well run, and offer fantastic tours. I highly recommend them.

Getting to Coldfoot, is my minimum recommendation, on the Dalton.

Edited by Budget Queen