Staff transitions before QM2 Refit?

MarkBearSF

We're booked on the first crossing after the World Cruise, on 10 May 2016.

I was thinking of staff turnover. I'd expect that there would normally be a larger-than-normal turnover of staff contracts at the end of world cruises. (Although I'm sure that many swaps occur between segments). As a result, I'd expect there might normally be some awkwardness on the first few days of this itinerary as the newly configured teams adjust to working together.

However next year, two weeks later the ship will enter her extended drydock. Although some engineering staff and officers will surely need to be present during her refit, I'd expect most service staff will be furloughed/off contract if not otherwise assigned. As a result, would it be common for the line to extend the contracts of many of the workers to include our crossing?

I don't think there will be any awkwardness at all. Rotation of crew duties and the completion of some crew contracts happen almost every time the ship returns to home port, it's all in a days work for our wonderful Cunard crew members.

When the ship goes into dry dock, 'almost' a full complement of crew are needed and have to stay with the ship, they have almost the same duties looking after around 1,000 workmen ( from the UK, e.g. carpet fitters and such) who will be traveling out to the dock ( and return) and will be resident onboard.

Most of the crew elect to go with the ship into dry dock, it gives them some time to spend evenings in the port.

As Bell Boy said, it should be a problem. When we crossed the atlantic in May 2014 the crossing was the last leg of the WC for US citizens, and there appeared to be no service problems. Likewise as we disembarked in NY this summer at about 9.30am a coach load of crew / service staff arrived, there were also crew disembarking to go home (based on the amount of luggage they had), so there are probably staff leaving and joining at almost every major port. Shouldn't be a problem enjoy the trip!