PV: Anybody Done the San Sebastian Air Tour?

DanL

Dan,

If you want to see the real Mexico - not just tourist traps - then this is for you. It will take you back in time.

It is about a 20 minutes flight to this small Mexican Village, San Sebastian. The view from the airplane, both ways, is wonderful. The plane holds about 20-25, if I remember correctly.

This small village has only 1 very small, but reasonably priced “souvenir store".

You will visit a small organic coffee grower, who roasts coffee every day - both regular and espresso. You can buy it and take it home (if you do, I would suggest taking some gallon size zip-lock freezer bags with you - it will minimize the smell of the coffee in your stateroom).

The town also has a tortilleria - where some of the women in the village will be making tortillas when you get there. It has an old Catholic Church. In the middle of the village is what they refer to as Zocalo, or town square - this is where all the local folks hang out.

When I was there, there was an elderly lady who told about the history of town - very interesting and enjoyable.

In addition to a great Mexican Lunch, you will be also treated to either a beer or a shot of Tequila.

And finally, they will send you an e-mail with some pictures of your trip (without a charge) - a nice keep sake.

The only bad part of this "shore excursion” is . . . there may not be enough people to do this trip - it normally only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays - but will go other days of the weeks, if there are enough passengers on the cruise ships that book it. Their website is: http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/english/san_sebastian.html

Tom

Thanks Tom, your review sounded like the comments on vallarta-adventures.com. Of course all of them were positive :)

We prefer the real places when we travel. Looking forward to it. We had to book thru the cruise line since they have the contract with vallarta-adventures when they are in port.

Dan

Dan,

If your cruise ship is in port on the two days that this excursions goes (T/TH) and there is not enough people on the cruise that book it (in other words, if it is cancelled by the shore excursion office) - then keep their website address with you and book it on line from the ship.

Tom

Dan,

If you like GOOD coffee - then buy it there. Since they use an orange/lemon tree for shade - the coffee will have a hint of citrus. Thinking about it - I only wish that I bought more. As I stated above - if you are going to buy the coffee - make sure you take a couple of gallon size freezer Zip-Lock bags with you - otherwise the smell of coffee will overpower your stateroom - learn from my mistake.

I hope you enjoy San Sebastian as much as I did.

Tom

Archived