S&S card for kids - $$$ question

sapphiregem

So I know each child need to be attached to the adults card and you can opt to give them charging privileges. But here is my question....

Can I give them charging privileges with a daily limit?

OR, is it that I can give them a limit for the term of the cruise??

OR, If I decide to give them Daily limits do I have to give cash over to the guest services each day or can I give them a different credit card than what is already attached? How does that work?

This is the only part I am confused on this. I know guest services can arrange it all, but I want to go on the ship with a game plan and not figure it out in hast.

Thank you

I have asked this question on this and other forums more than once and have been told that daily limits CANNOT be set. That you can; however, add money daily. If anyone has actually gone to guest services and had a daily limit set on a minor's S&S account, please do tell. I have been told more than once that you can't do this.

On our last cruise in May we set a total limit for each child. Example they had $50 total for the duration of the cruise that they could charge. Guest Services set it up and I was able to monitor how much they were spending by looking at my account on the TV or using a kiosk. It clearly showed under their names the $50 they had available.

I can't help with a daily limit. My kids knew that once the money ran out they would not receive more.

If I may piggyback on your question, My kids have $25 cruise cash and a $25 plastic gift card. When these are added, will the gratuity subtract from them when it posts on the 2nd day? I know in theory they will still have $50 but I want them to be able to look and see the actual amount left each day.

I was thinking since they have charging privileges, the gratuity will attach to their accounts? I hope I'm explaining this clearly.

4kids Im gonna piggy back on yours since you brought up gratuity....

if they have charging privileges that makes the gratuity from the main account attach to what they purchase correct?

But if no charging privileges and just money added on daily via guest service then gratuity isnt included and will be added per charge correct??

Or am I completely wrong!?? lol WOW one of us needs to create a manual after this!!!

This was my reply from a question a couple of days ago regarding the "arcade" and how we handle the daily limit (btw, you will be able to assign a total limit for the week as we did not want to go back each day)....

This is how we handle the arcade with our 12 yr old (worked great on our cruise this past new years eve on the Liberty)...

We gave him charging privilege's on his S & S card (although he was never allowed to run the ship or be anywhere alone, we could sit outside the arcade and have a drink or read or whatever and he could play games) BUT told him we put a limit on his card of $25 dollars a day. Once he ran through his $25 he was done for the day.

This provided us with several safeguards, 1) he honestly thought his card would be turned off at the limit amount (yes 12 yr olds can count but he would do the math and stop just short of the $25), so no overspending on our S & S acct 2) he had to plan his visits to the arcade very carefully, we told him no more than 2x's a day, he typically choose 1 time a day (right after dinner as we ate at 6:00 seating) and could relax and spend his $25 all at once 3) this managed expectations for everyone and we did not have to listen to him ask if we or when would we stop at arcade as we let him decide and then stick to the plan, it worked beautifully

We will do the same thing on our cruise that leaves in 5 days as well, he is already trying to decide what time of day will be his "arcade" time....

Edited by Drazil65

We took 2 14 year olds on last cruise. Only way to set daily limit is to go daily to guest services and add money. We piut $100. On each of their cards first day and told them when its gone that's it. They put their cards in the machines in game from to play. They had a great time also going to the bars and ordering virgin pina coladas.

On our Dream cruise this year, we went to the kiosk each sea day and added $15.00 per kid (our 2 oldest kids) to their S&S card. They only got money on sea days.

I thought i remembered on our Magic cruise in 2014 though that we were able to set a daily limit without visiting the kiosks/guest services every day. It didnt work that way on the Dream.

Ill be doing it again on my Thanksgiving cruise with my daughter on the Triumph.