Skagway/Juneau Weather Impact?

GreySkies

I looked up Juneau's weather last night and there was a special alert about the rain they're getting. I will be going on my cruise on 22 Aug. What has been the impact of all of this rain in both Juneau and Skagway?

I'm looking at a whale watching excursion, a helicopter-dog sledding excursion, and a second photography excursion. (I do have a rain cover for my camera.)

Thanks for any info,

It is a waste of time, looking up weather for 8-22. No way to predict anything. You will find out the if your glacier dog sledding is operating or not- when you get there. Your other 2 excursions operate in all weather and do not cancel.

I wasn't asking about my cruise itself. I've read enough people say that you can't rely on any predictions there.

I was asking about CURRENT conditions considering there's a special weather statement out. For example, are there "attractions" that are not accessible at this time due to flooding?

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post.

I wasn't asking about my cruise itself. I've read enough people say that you can't rely on any predictions there.

I was asking about CURRENT conditions considering there's a special weather statement out. For example, are there "attractions" that are not accessible at this time due to flooding?

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post.

Well, I'm sitting here in Juneau right now, and yeah, it's raining, just like it always does. Now you have me curious to check the NOAA website.

Hmmm...I'm not seeing anything. So I went with a friend who always follows the weather. Supposed to get 5 inches and some strong winds, which is pretty normal and I don't see that would possibly effect the community two weeks from now.

Trust me, if we get such bad weather that the town is shut down for weeks, your helicopter tour not going will be the least of the problems! :D We're used to taking care of the aftermath of harsh weather--flooding, trees down, landslides, etc. Everything would be cleaned up in a couple of days.

Not only does the weather change minute to minute, but we have many microclimates. Skagway has markedly different weather than Juneau. We would never have the same weather events happen. They're much drier and windier up in Skagway. The weather at my house 20 miles north from the cruise docks can be wildly different. And the conditions up on the glacier can definitely be different from down at sea level.

Now this is what makes things interesting in Juneau: the dreaded jökulhlaup!

Thanks for the response, Tee_Harbor.

I saw the special weather statement on Weather Channel's website yesterday. Today, there's nothing. It said something about one of the rivers getting to 16 feet, but wasn't clear if that would break the flooding level or not in what I read.

Thanks for the response, Tee_Harbor.

I saw the special weather statement on Weather Channel's website yesterday. Today, there's nothing. It said something about one of the rivers getting to 16 feet, but wasn't clear if that would break the flooding level or not in what I read.

Huh. That does sound like a jökulhlaup, but I haven't heard any advisory of one expected. As far as deadly natural disasters go, they're pretty good. Kids for the college spend the summer up on the ice fields and one of the things they monitor is the water buildup. When we're going to have a burst and flood, we get a day or so notice. There has been some serious flooding from them, but just residential homes and streets. I keep waiting for the bridge on Mendenhall Loop Road to get knocked up, but so far so good!

I did a search and came across this, although the link doesn't actually take you to the information anymore.

Special Weather Statement - National Weather Service ...

forecast.weather.gov/.../wwatxtget.php?cwa...

National Weather Service

MOT...LOC 0728Z 233DEG 16KT 4175 10254 4152 10234 $$ CDC ... AK 500 PM AKDT MON AUG 10 2015 AKZ017>029-111400- SOUTHEAST ALASKA 500 PM AKDT MON AUG 10 . ... THE TAIYA RIVER NEAR SKAGWAY IS RUNNING HIGH AND IS EXPECTED TO REACH BANK FULL AT 16 FEET LATER TONIGHT.