must see sites

bumbles

Hi all,

Hubby and I are renting a scooter while in St. Kitts (hubby has motorcycle license.) We'd like to tool around for 3-4 hours hitting the must see sites/beaches. Any recommendations on what to see?

Thanks!

Id say brimstone fortress is a must see. And the scenic stop on the drive to the caribbean side where you can see the split between the Atlantic ocean and the Caribbean sea are 2 "must see's." We went to te batik factory as well but we could have skipped this stop. the coolest thing we saw here was a 400 year old tree and a huge fluorescent caterpillar. It's really just a store with overpriced dyed cloth. So unless you really want some of that, skip it.

No problem. Our original plan was to go to Cockleshell beach, which is also on the caribbean side. Our driver told us Carambola (South Friars) was nicer. It was a pretty long stretch of beach and we walked up and down it a couple times and there were quite a few locals there which I thought was a good sign that it was a good beach, since locals know where the good beaches are. They were there with their bbq grills and it added a lot to the atmosphere; we liked it. I mentioned the bar only because of the prices, but the other thing that was nice about having it there was they had very nice bathrooms and changing rooms as well as outdoor showers to rinse our feet and snorkel gear. They had also set up a huge white "event tent" outside where they had lounge chairs and even though we didn't rent any, we were able to put our towels under it and use the shade for free.

My guess is that this is one of the nicer beaches on the island, since that is what the driver told us and because we saw a lot of locals there. I've also read a lot about it online, but cockleshell has come up a lot too, and may be a more secluded area without as many people.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

@ColoradoGurl is the split between the two oceans something we can go explore on our own?

Yes, it's just a stop alongside the road as you drive from one side of the island to the other. I didn't notice if it had a sign or anything, but there were several locals there with monkeys and donkeys for pictures & you would notice the stop from those things. You can't see the view from the road, but once you pull into the parking area you see it and it's beautiful!! If you look up reviews on trip advisor for things like "Greys island excursions" and view the photos, you will see the photo op I'm talking about.