Family cruise with 11 people.

Netty

We are celebrating our 50 year anniversary next year,and want to treat our kids and grandkids to a Alaska cruise.

It would be 6 adults two grown Grandkids 27,23 and three small kids 13,11,10.

We sailed Alaska seven years ago with princes and loved it.

What cruise line would be good for all the kids? Most fun excursions we can spit the group up.

We are thinking round trip from Seatle but are open for suggestions.

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks Netty

You aren't "firm" on round trip Seattle? What other route are you considering? THIS needs to be decided upon, way before you start looking at cruises. Do the other people have a "choice" on itinerary- or is this choice being made by you? IF it involves other input- again- that needs to be determined prior to any other selecting.

I would not make a cruise selection based on the "kids". :) There are kids programs on all the major lines- with the full range of demographics on all the ships sailing Alaska. Kids will have a great time- I would strongly suggest they be very involved in the activity selections. Having determined- splitting up is an option- is the way to go, in my opinion.

We are celebrating our 50 year anniversary next year,and want to treat our kids and grandkids to a Alaska cruise.

It would be 6 adults two grown Grandkids 27,23 and three small kids 13,11,10.

We sailed Alaska seven years ago with princes and loved it.

What cruise line would be good for all the kids? Most fun excursions we can spit the group up.

We are thinking round trip from Seatle but are open for suggestions.

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks Netty

Congratulations and what a fun experience for your family. Can I claim to be your son and come along?

There are probably 20 cruise ships running to Alaska each summer. With your crew, maybe NCL Pearl would provide the most on board amenities for the kids (rock wall, bowling alley) Also CCL Legend (Waterworks) may be a good choice. The best thing would be start a list of cruise ships out of Seattle with their amenities. Rank each item and decide. You'll be on a cruise with your family, that's the most important thing.

There are plenty of excursion opportunities. I really liked Mendenhal Glacier in Juneau. Hiking out to the falls was easy and fun. There is the train in Skagway (as well as the Skagway Fish Company for crab legs). You can go on a crab boat from the "Deadliest Catch". Whale watching is big, so is just wondering around town. I personally found that a cruise ot Alaska is very relaxing and laid back.

Enjoy the planning and enjoy the cruise!

We did this two years ago with a family group of 8, 4 adults and 4 grandchildren, ages 4, 13, 17, 19. We left from Seattle because flying 8 people there roundtrip was much more reasonable than flying to Vancouver.

We took the Norwegian Pearl, basically because it went to Glacier Bay. My husband and I have been to Alaska many times and been to all the usual glaciers. My favorite is Tracy Arm (for the fjord scenery) but since it was early in the season I wanted to make sure we got all the way to the glacier. If I was taking my grandchildren to Alaska, they had to see a glacier! The Pearl was great for everyone, my husband and I enjoyed the forward viewing lounge, my son and children loved the back deck off the buffet where they could eat while enjoying the scenery. MY 4 year old granddaughter loved the kid's club.

For excursions, we rented 2 cars in Skagway since the drive through the Yukon to Emerald Lake is one of our favorite excursions. My 17 year old granddaughter said this was her favorite experience on our trip! In Juneau we always go whale watching with Orca Enterprises--arranged ahead of time and in Ketchikan we took a tour with Ketchikan Taxi Company--also prearranged. There are many more expensive excursions that my husband and I take when just the two of us but I was trying to treat everyone!

Truthfully, the teenagers might have preferred the Caribbean beaches but we love Alaska and if I was taking my grandchildren on a cruise, it had to be Alaska! It was a great experience to be there with them all!

I would agree that the NCL Pearl would be a good choice - and to add to that book the Garden Villa - the three bedroom house on the top deck of the ship. you will have a fantastic view right from your living room. I know the say it sleeps 6-8 but I am sure that with kids you could fit more in either the bedrooms or in rollways in the living room. Try to book during a Kids sail free time and you could get that room very cheap :D

If you can't all fit in the GV, the Pearl has another Deluxe Owners Suite on the floor above the GV. The two combined could easily hold your family.