bringing wine

sunsetme

Typically in Miami, as soon as you go through security, they will know you have the wine, and send you to a staff member who will check the bottles, fill out a receipt and put a sticker on each bottle. They don't take cash, but you can use a credit card. After that, you can check in. I usually bring six or seven specific vintages we enjoy for dinner, and to us its cheaper to bring your own, even with the corkage fee.;)

We plan to bring 2 bottles to consume in our stateroom. When would we pay the $15?

When initially checking in. There will be a station for that somewhere along the way prior to boarding. I think it varies with ship and port terminal. I believe the last one I saw was right after going through security.

A couple times when I just had one bottle in my carry on they didn't flag me. But last couple cruises I've brought 6 bottles in a separate bag and of course I pay corkage.

I mention this because if you're only bringing 2 bottles and you have 2 carry on bags . . . . . .

They don't take cash, but you can use a credit card.

They ask for the cabin number and charge the corkage fee to onboard account. Never have I seen/heard that they'd process any kind of actual payments there.

They ask for the cabin number and charge the corkage fee to onboard account. Never have I seen/heard that they'd process any kind of actual payments there.

The post you quoted suggested this all happened before check in, so their onboard account wouldn't have been set up at that point.

I've never heard of it happening that way either, but I suppose it is possible.

The post you quoted suggested this all happened before check in, so their onboard account wouldn't have been set up at that point.

I've never heard of it happening that way either, but I suppose it is possible.

Yes, on embarkation day the corkage fee receipt is pretty much always (there are exceptions like Venice where security is after check-in) written before check-in. It is a hand-written receipt and will be posted on onboard account later - when the account already exists.

In Miami ours was also on a hand written receipt and showed up on our account later.

We went thru the security scanner and there was a table just past that for them to document each bottle and place the sticker on each bottle.

We had each bottle wrapped in a towel (kitchen towel) and stuck them in a wheeled box. It was a pain to get them back into the box so if we ever do it again we will purchase padded bags specifically made for wine at our local wine store.

I also took 6 bottles on. Did not do my wine the first night because it needed to chill more. The prices of our wine plus cork fee were definitely cheaper than a bottle plus gratuity on the ship.

In Miami ours was also on a hand written receipt and showed up on our account later.

We went thru the security scanner and there was a table just past that for them to document each bottle and place the sticker on each bottle.

We had each bottle wrapped in a towel (kitchen towel) and stuck them in a wheeled box. It was a pain to get them back into the box so if we ever do it again we will purchase padded bags specifically made for wine at our local wine store.

I also took 6 bottles on. Did not do my wine the first night because it needed to chill more. The prices of our wine plus cork fee were definitely cheaper than a bottle plus gratuity on the ship.

That is our theory as well ending up with either a $20 or $25 bottle of wine is way cheaper then NCL pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you buy a bottle of wine at one of the ports and bring that onboard?

Can I bringing alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Yes, on embarkation day the corkage fee receipt is pretty much always (there are exceptions like Venice where security is after check-in) written before check-in. It is a hand-written receipt and will be posted on onboard account later - when the account already exists.

Yeah, I always assumed that would be how it happened. I've only ever paid it when boarding the ship (still using the slips) so I don't have practical experience of doing it before check in.

It certainly seems that what the previous poster reported was an exception, or they remembered incorrectly.

We took three bottles on last cruise. We packed a cardboard three bottle wine carrier from a local winery and transferred the bottles to it before boarding.

Also, when you get your final bill, the corkage fee will appear as a MDR charge. A little confusing until you realize what it is.

Watched a guy put a small suitcase on the corkage table in Boston. don't know how many bottles he had in it, but the suitcase wasn't light.

Can I bringing alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

What you bolded pertains to alcohol, like rum etc. Notice the sentence below your bolding that wine MAY be brought onboard.

Our experience at ports when we have brought wine back from port is the same procedure as at embarkation.

What you bolded pertains to alcohol, like rum etc. Notice the sentence below your bolding that wine MAY be brought onboard.

Our experience at ports when we have brought wine back from port is the same procedure as at embarkation.

That is good. Thank you. We have several stops in Spain so I am sure I will find some wine to bring onboard.

That is good. Thank you. We have several stops in Spain so I am sure I will find some wine to bring onboard.

Rules are rules; however,

It depends on the port/security/ship.

After embarkation, at most ports, security takes everything in a bottle.

Once, in the Bahamas, security tried to take a small bottle of Vanilla extract 'cause it had alcohol in it,

until a supervisor stepped in to say how stupid that would be.

The reason they confiscate your booze is for your own safety.:rolleyes:

Last year on Western Med.cruise,

when we were getting back on the NCL Jade in Barcelona, there were shops right in the port.

A wine store was having a two-for-one sale.

The sales clerk, that sold us two bottles of wine, told us there is no alcohol check and no corkage fee when you get back on the ship AT THIS PORT.

Sure enough, no ship alcohol/security check at all.

We went back out and purchased two more bottles.:D

Sooo... see what happens and good luck.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

Don't rely on that in Barcelona though. They usually tell people there is no alcohol check as you get on the ship.....even when there is.

I don't think they USUALLY tell... like they would post a big sign.

As I said, check and see what happens.

The wine shop is right in the port.

So you can hop-off hop-on the ship.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

Yes, you can certainly check and go back. I was just warning people not to rely on what they are saying. When a sale is possible, people don't always tell the whole truth. :)

I agree with you.

And now that I blabbed, NCL may change things at this port.:o

I agree with you.

And now that I blabbed, NCL may change things at this port.:o

I doubt it. It's been discussed on here many times before.

The presence of alcohol checks as you board seems fairly random. I've boarded in Barcelona 5 times now and I think there have been checks twice.