Free shuttle bus 'perk'. Does it work?

Presto2

We always book early and a Select fare as we like to have specific cabins.

One of the perks for a Select Fare is noted as 'free shuttle bus service'.

Over the last few months we have been lucky enough to do 2 cruises, one on Oceana and more recently a cruise on Britannia. Out of the 3 weeks cruised we have stopped at many ports where a shuttle bus has been provided, but other than in Venice (where we too were charged for the shuttle as it was classed as an excursion apparently) no one seems to have been charged for any shuttle that has been provided.

A number of fellow cruisers who had booked a Select Fare were talking about it on the last night of our cruise (not moaning, honest, just curious) and agreed that on reflection it seems now that 'free shuttle bus service' seems to be a pretty useless perk for booking early.

Is it us misunderstanding the system and are we missing something?

Perhaps people were charged, but we didn't notice --- and no one checked our cards etc.

Just curious - thanks

I don't think you would have been charged had you not had your card scanned as that's the only way they would have done it.

I have also looked at this - it seems to me that if you can walk reasonably easily into town like in Copenhagen and in Tallinn, there is a charge for you to take a shuttle unless you are on a Select Fare.

But if you can't walk easily to somewhere, like from Zeebrugge into Blankenberg or from one of the berths in the port of Bergen, where there are safety/security issues, then the shuttle is free of charge to anyone.

That's just been my thoughts.

If I take advantage of a Saver fare, I take the view that I have saved so much that a few pounds on a bus if I needed it is hardly noticed, but I have heard a lot of Saver fares moan at having to pay a few pounds after saving hundreds.

So I guess what I am saying is that when I choose Select, it's not for the shuttle bus perk but for other boosts like choosing cabin and location and dining options.

Edited by Scriv

So I guess what I am saying is that when I choose Select, it's not for the shuttle bus perk but for other boosts like choosing cabin and location and dining options.

I suppose we are like that when we book, but it does seem a worthless perk to offer something that is hardly used. I suppose it looks good on the adverts for the fares though and makes the list appear longer ;)

I think I understand what you are saying re how the system may work. Thanks

At a lot of ports where the entrance is a long way from the ship a FREE shuttle bus is provided by the port so no fare is paid by anyone.

On another note we always book on the select and my wife is a wheelchair user and some shuttle buses are not accessible, or they have one bus that is and can take up to an hour wait...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On Cunard they have Cunard fare which is the equivalent of Select on P&O. On our Queen Victoria Cruise to the Baltic last year there were a few ports like Stockholm and Helsinki where shuttle buses were provided. Everyone had their Cruise cards scanned and those on Saver fares were charged. So it does "work" but it depends very much on the itinerary how much of a benefit it gives.

I hope this helps.

Eddie

We also usually book select fares because we like to choose our cabin but last year we booked an early saver on Adonia, one of the ports was Hamburg and our cards were scanned and we expected to be charged for the shuttle as it was advertised in the Horizon that it was only free for select fare passengers but we were never charged. This is the only time that we have been on an early saver since the new rules regarding shuttles were introduced and this was the only port where we used the shuttle so I can't say whether this was an oversight by P&O or whether it is a usual for non-select passengers to use the shuttle without being charged.

Wow just found this, never been told this ever..[emoji35]

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/wheelchair_coach

Can't believe that you hadn't been told, but it is good news now for future cruises.

Just coming over to your part of the world to do some shipping (Freudian slip - meant shopping :D) so make sure that the sun shines for us eh ! :)

Can't believe that you hadn't been told, but it is good news now for future cruises.

Just coming over to your part of the world to do some shipping (Freudian slip - meant shopping :D) so make sure that the sun shines for us eh ! :)

I was born in Hanley, went to birches head school and moved to Madeley some 14 years ago...[emoji106]

I was born in Hanley, went to birches head school and moved to Madeley some 14 years ago...[emoji106]

Well we ventured in to Crewe and the sun sort of appeared for a little while ;)

It never fails to surprise me how many people on the P&O forum are from Stoke on Trent / Staffordshire ! We obviously need to get away more ---- no comments re why. ;)

The free shuttles 'perk' was wasted on us. We took excursions from two of the three ports we visited, and at the other one no one was charged anyway. The fourth port visit at St Peter Port didn't have a free shuttle perk either, since it was meant to be a tender port!

We didn't book a Select fare for the free shuttles, we didn't think it would be any benefit at all, and we were right!

The free shuttles 'perk' was wasted on us. We took excursions from two of the three ports we visited, and at the other one no one was charged anyway. The fourth port visit at St Peter Port didn't have a free shuttle perk either, since it was meant to be a tender port!

We didn't book a Select fare for the free shuttles, we didn't think it would be any benefit at all, and we were right!

Same here. I hope they change this shuttle bus 'perk' for an early embarkation one--- but that is a different thread ;):D

Same here. I hope they change this shuttle bus 'perk' for an early embarkation one--- but that is a different thread ;):D

I don't see it as a perk, just like the other 'perks' but that's another thread too [emoji1] I find the link to the shuttle bus info really useful. I think we had to pay for the shuttle once on a saver but it wasn't much and far outweighed by the difference in cost that a select fare would have been [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

Edited by Florry

They are NOT free they are included if you buy a more expensive Select Fare!

Some of the shuttles are free irrespective of the fare, this is because there is a requirement at certain ports to transport all passengers safely off-site.

Some of the shuttles are free irrespective of the fare, this is because there is a requirement at certain ports to transport all passengers safely off-site.

Yes I agree, but the chargeable shuttles are included with a select fare, all other fares pay, simple!

Yes you're right and we book a mix of select and saver. I think the point is by the time you take into account the shuttles that are free to all and any excursions you do (so don't need a shuttle anyway), the benefit of the free shuttle becomes somewhat eroded.

Edited by Florry

Yes you're right and we book a mix of select and saver. I think the point is by the time you take into account the shuttles that are free to all and any excursions you do (so don't need a shuttle anyway), the benefit of the free shuttle becomes somewhat eroded.

But the benefit of having the cabin you want is never eroded ;)