How does the "social media" plan work?

MaiTaiMary

I'm trying to figure out the best way to stay in touch with home while on the cruise.

We usually just "buy internet minutes", but that was before the social media plan option. It sounds like it would just be cheaper to just message on Facebook, yes?

The idea of being on FB during my cruise doesn't sound that appealing, but I'm just looking for the cheapest/easiest way for a quick "how are things going back home?" daily check in.

How do you set up the social media plan? You pay a flat rate and you have as many minutes as you want?

Thanks.

I just used this on my recent cruise. I was on a 4 day cruise and the social media plan was $5/day or $15/cruise. We were using it to check in on my son at home with grandma. It worked perfectly. Yes, you get as many minutes as you want.

I also didn't really want to use facebook for anything else while I was on the cruise, so I just had to force myself to only check my notifications from my family back home or use it to write to them really quick. The speed of uploading was just fine. You just go on the internet (with your phone or computer) to sign up, turn it on airplane mode, and connect to the cruise ship's wifi. Easy and cheap!

I just used this on my recent cruise. I was on a 4 day cruise and the social media plan was $5/day or $15/cruise. We were using it to check in on my son at home with grandma. It worked perfectly. Yes, you get as many minutes as you want.

I also didn't really want to use facebook for anything else while I was on the cruise, so I just had to force myself to only check my notifications from my family back home or use it to write to them really quick. The speed of uploading was just fine. You just go on the internet (with your phone or computer) to sign up, turn it on airplane mode, and connect to the cruise ship's wifi. Easy and cheap!

Yep, what ^^^^ said :). I really liked it and it's so much cheaper and faster than the old way.

Technology has done some pretty sad things to us. Just a few years ago everyone would survive quite nicely without constantly being on their phone chatting, texting, tweeting, on facebook, whatever. And now it's almost mandatory, like if you don't post something every few minutes something awful will happen.

My phone stays off on cruises. If I'm in a port where I'll get a signal that isn't "roaming", I'll turn it on and check for calls or texts. Other than that, facebook is for when I get back.

Technology has done some pretty sad things to us. Just a few years ago everyone would survive quite nicely without constantly being on their phone chatting, texting, tweeting, on facebook, whatever. And now it's almost mandatory, like if you don't post something every few minutes something awful will happen.

My phone stays off on cruises. If I'm in a port where I'll get a signal that isn't "roaming", I'll turn it on and check for calls or texts. Other than that, facebook is for when I get back.

It was a great way to check in with our boys at home and I felt more comfortable knowing that they could message us if needed. I wasn't texting them, chatting, or spending a bunch of time on my phone (it waas in airplane mode the whole week). It was a nice safety net though. My mom was worried that we wouldn't be able to stop at Belize on my birthday. I sent her a message through FB as soon as I knew we could tender and she was happy. Those few messages sent throughout our cruise really help bridge the gap and save us a bunch of money too. :)

I'll be cruising in a few days and was worried about how to change the settings on my phone to only connect to wi-fi. I didnt think you could connect to wi-fi while in airplane mode. I was told to turn off cellular voice and data roaming and thats all. Do u mind elaborating? Thanks in advance....

I'm going to assume it's like using it is on Alaska airlines; you put the device on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Then go to Internet, such as safari on iPad or iPhone. You don't get full internet, just what the plane/ship allows. On Alaska you can buy Internet, or rent movies. It's limited to what you sign up for.

I'm going to assume it's like using it is on Alaska airlines; you put the device on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Then go to Internet, such as safari on iPad or iPhone. You don't get full internet, just what the plane/ship allows. On Alaska you can buy Internet, or rent movies. It's limited to what you sign up for.

Yep. That's exactly what we did, on the plane and on the ship. It was really easy to set up and use. There will also be a paper with instructions in your cabin. The airplane mode made sure I didn't get texts, calls, or alerts that I usually get from various sites. It worked out great.

My kids will be staying home by themselves and my father is in ill health so being able to connect and check for emergency calls, even if we don't actually connect to a person, will make this trip much better for us.

My question is how/when do you purchase the wifi? Do you wait until you are on the ship or do you do this in advance. I've looked all over the Carnival website and can't find the answer. Thanks.

My kids will be staying home by themselves and my father is in ill health so being able to connect and check for emergency calls, even if we don't actually connect to a person, will make this trip much better for us.

My question is how/when do you purchase the wifi? Do you wait until you are on the ship or do you do this in advance. I've looked all over the Carnival website and can't find the answer. Thanks.

We purchased it as soon as we got in our room. :)

CARNIVAL'S WI-FI SERVICE AND HUB APP

To keep you connected while at sea, every one of our ships provides satellite Internet access facilitated through the HUB Internet Café and through the bow-to-stern ship-wide Wi-Fi network.

What plans are offered? (new plans)

Carnival has upgraded their communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price! Want to share that awesome photo? Need to Skype home? Many of our ships now feature our awesome new internet plans. No other cruise line offers these speeds at these great prices!

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access to popular social sites and Apps such as Facebook, What’s App and Instagram. Does not include access to the entire internet.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Access to the web. Perfect for emailing, browsing the news and keeping up to date with sports scores. Does not support access to bandwidth intensive services like Skype and music streaming.

Premium ($25 USD per day) – Access to the web at up to three times faster than the other plans. Supports Skype where coverage allows.

Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. Printing is offered at no charge.

What restrictions are there? (both new and old plans)

Please note that as our services are carried via satellite; there are a few limitations compared to your home network.

Satellite internet speed may vary depending on location and time of day

Video streaming sites such as Hulu and Netflix are blocked

Access to certain sites such as mature or violent content is blocked

VPN connections are not supported - discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.

How do I know if my ship offers new (social/value/premium) or old (minute) plans?

The following ships are offering the NEW internet plans as of August 2015. We aim to complete the rest of the North American fleet by the end of this year. Other ships not listed here still have by-the-minute plans. Note: Implementation dates are subject to change.

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Elation

Carnival Fantasy – starting September 19th

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Magic – starting August 16th

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Triumph – starting August 29th

Carnival Valor – starting September 12th

Carnival Victory

What are some tips to improve the experience?

Once you board, turn Airplane Mode ‘On’ and connect to Carnival Wi-Fi. By using Airplane Mode, you avoid roaming fees charged by your carrier. Airplane Mode is typically found in your phone’s Settings.

To benefit from faster speeds, turn off background app data services and updates

Discuss VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.

Get the most from your cruise Internet time and your trip — make sure you are powered up and prepared before you board the ship with this handy pre-cruise checklist. Here are a few things you want to remember to pack for your cruise:

Wi-Fi enabled laptop and mobile devices

Power supply for each of the devices you are bringing with you

Data cables to transfer pictures

Headphones

This is true.....but.....technology has changed us all. For me it's peace of mind knowing everything is ok back home. I don't want to know the day to day drama, but a quick check in is nice. Plus if I can post a picture on FB of a beautiful beach I spent the day at, it's a bonus. :)

Why, just over 100 years ago we got along just fine without cars, amirite? ;)

What's sad is irrationally fearing technology instead of embracing it, IMHO.

I'm leaving 3 kids at home. I need some way to keep in touch daily, and $25 to use Facebook Messenger for the week sounds awesome. It has nothing to do with technology over taking my life or needing to know whats on my news feed...its an economical way to text message.

Is there a way to keep up with each other on the ship? Our 14 yr old goes off to Circle C and it would be nice to keep up with his whereabouts. Texting or Facebook messaging?

We will buy the social media package again and use FB messenger to communicate with our teens on the ship.

Great information. I've been wondering about this too. Every cruise, I disable all data, turn off roaming, etc. etc. turn phone off and lock in safe! This will make it so much easier to communicate.....

I am going on 2 girls only cruises in November and would like to be able to communciation with hubby.....(if he's lucky.... LOL)... couple of questions:

Under the $5.00/day package, are you able to do regular FB functions, i.e. post status updates, pics, etc. Obviously, you can't "check-in" because that requires map app.... but does everything else work the same?

Because you are connected to the WiFi, how do you prevent other apps from connecting/updating? i.e. fitbit, skype, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance!

Everything on FB works the same except that you cannot click on links that go to an outside source. So if you're FB friends with your local news channel and you want to click on a link, you can't. Someone posts a funny article? You can't click. Believe me, after a few days it gets frustrating. Either that or I just read a lot of news articles.

same. our phones go off, locked in safe. night before dh charges them for drive home. I don't check anything till bored on the drive! I'm just fine not checking email, or anything.

However, once, in key west I did turn my phone on, kid was sleeping, dh was off doing whatever. Glad I did! the bank was connecting me to tell my visia had been used in baton rouge (uh, I was in key west...). It could have waited, but I'm glad I knew we were down our cc while in key west, so we could get extra cash (oh, yes, that was the card tied to our room! :eek: )