Where do you watch the sail away from?

Seany527

We always grab a DOD, go to the forward decks behind the wind glass (I think that's what it is?) a couple decks up from the lido. It's a tradition.

Unfortunately, I've watched far more sail always from my deck chair on the port cams. :p

We've done top deck, aft public deck, and our own balcony. It depends what we're in the mood for. It's much more peaceful and quiet on the balcony, but it's fun to be part of the crowd, too. This next time, we'll probably do our balcony.

We generally like to be on the top deck all the way forward. On the Fascination we were right under the stack going under the Dames Point bridge and in the same place on the Paradise going under the Sunshine parkway.

When we sail the Valor next month we will most likely be on the top deck again, but somewhere that our daughter's stroller won't be in the way!

On the Fascination-up by the whale tail-love going under the Dames Point Bridge. On the Elation up front port side on the lido deck, away from the noise and party on deck, just watching the world slip by. When the Legend sailed from Tampa, Sail away was no big deal, the big deal was about an hour or so later going under the Sunshine bridge.

When I am on the Legend sailing from Seattle, I will be on the promenade deck, right under my cabin watching Seattle get smaller.:)

On Fascination we also ALWAYS enjoy the sailaway. Love going under the bridge!

On others departure ports we often don't even bother ....

Before I started cruising, I used to think that the sail away was some big deal. I was rather disappointed to find out that the ship just starts moving away. No fanfare, countdown, announcements or anything. A lot of people just watch from the lido deck railing, there's LOUD deck music playing and some people dancing. Normally I'm unpacking or visiting the spa for their big drawings.

It used to be a big deal. When we first started cruising, everyone was given paper streamers to throw and confetti.

The last time we sailed we were seated at a window seat at dinner for our departure. We left from San Juan at night.

This time we have a 6k, so maybe just from our room. But probably somewhere on Lido. We were on always on Lido aft for sail away from ports

It used to be a big deal. When we first started cruising, everyone was given paper streamers to throw and confetti.

We did that too.

I remembered on an episode of I Love Lucy they showed people waving to people on the dock.

On our first cruise there was one guy sweeping and everyone was waving to him with the streamers.

He was unimpressed.

Sailing out of New Orleans a kid came out to the levee behind his house and shot off some Roman Candles as we passed.

It was nice.:)

You want to be on starboard side when leaving Port Canaveral and you want

to wave at the people on the open decks of the restaurants. There is a camera

recording all the ships that arrive and depart. When you return home you can

buy the video of you leaving port. Just go to Port Canaveral Web Cam and look

at the bottom of the page for Sail Away Videos. When we sailed on the Dream out of Port Canaveral we were on Deck 10 mid ship Starboard. I had a

4' x 6' sign made with all of our names on it. If you go to the bottom of the

Port Canaveral site to Sail Away Videos and put in Carnival Dream then put in

October 12, 2013 and you can see us leaving the port and waving. That could be your family on the video. I can not mention the restaurant that videos or

they might delete my post. I think I paid 14.95 for the video.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

OMG I just looked up our sailing, May 9th 2014, and there we were-Us and our friends on our aft balcony 6487- waving and I held up my drink toasting the sailaway. Our friends were talking to their kids on the phone and they said they could see us. I didn't know I could still look up the video. Thank you so much for the information. If I were you Seany527 I'd be on my aft wrap balcony waving away, you could have family and friends not going watching you online - they really do zoom in close enough that people who know you will recognize you. Enjoy your Cruise!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I wasn't aware it's best to be starboard side for the sail away from Port Canaveral, and unfortunately my balcony is more toward the port side.

Either way, based on what people have said, I think I will give the aft balcony a try:D I've done the serenity deck, the lido, and far forward. This time I'll try something new.

I am so glad I was able to help you out Permanentvacation11. I think that is

what CC is for. I have learned so much from CC. I looked up your sailing

on MAY 9, 2014 and you all were waving as much as my family was. How

much fun is it to go back and se e how much fun you had at Sail Away. Glad

I could help. HAPPY SAILING!!!