Just Back-Dawn-4/4

Carib210

Just back from the Dawn Princess-sailed 4/4. I'll share a few hi-lites and lo-lites. Raining and humid day we boarded in Puerto Rico and found that both the cabin A/C and refrig were not working. Did get repair service quickly, but the humidity was a killer and made us very uncomfortable. For those concerned, there is a liquor store right in the terminal, after security screening. It seems that if you put any purchases in a bag, Princess doesn't check again, they just don't want you to be obvious. As we stayed in P.R. the nite before, we did our soda, water, etc. shopping before hand. The ship's public areas are in good condition- clean and a nice decor. We did have a few problems other than the A/C and refrig..the electric outlets went out one morning, and as my husband uses a machine for sleep apnea, this was quite an awakening. The toilets went out 3x in 2 days, the telephone stopped working for 2 days-had to report it 2x as 1st time it seems it was not relayed to maintenance, (only needed phone to report all the repairs needed), cabin key stopped working. Balconys are on the small side. Just enough room for a small table and 2 chairs. Room service was excellent, only used for breakfast, but they were early both times. Entertainment was a bit lacking. One of the performers missed his flight to the boat, so the last night they showed 3 movies in the Princess theatre in a row!! Have been on 16 cruises, and have never seen anything like that. In my opinion, the cruise staff could have made an effort to do something, or organize games with the people. Talent night included 3 acts- one young man was so drunk it, he never should have been allowed to take the stage. No one appreciated his performance. The Nevis Sail Away was great. Very glad we did it. It was what everyone on the board said- lots of fun, easy to get on and off, the crew was fantastic- very helpful and nice. Also did the Rumba on the Chiva- party bus to beach. Although it was also a lot of fun, because the ship was only in port till 12:30, we wound up at the beach for approx. 1 hour- did not even get a chance to walk along the beach. They did serve rum punch and empidillas (very tasty), and took us to a small shopping area, I think $49 p/p was a bit much for 1 hour beach time. In Grenada, we took water taxi ($2 p/p) to Grand Anse beach. Many, many vendors there. St. Thomas- took Red Hook Fery and went to Cinniman Beach. Docked in Aruba on Good Friday. Seems it's a law that stores have to close. City center was deserted, except for van and taxi drivers. Having been to Aruba a few times before, we took the local bus for $2 p/p round trip. A couple we met waiting for the bus, said van drivers wanted $20 for them, 1 way to beach. Just shows how we all have to do our research and how useful this board is. It's a wealth of information. Overall, very nice cruise. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can.

We were on the same cruise and generally had the same opinions as you did. Enjoyed the cruise overall, and as this is our 4th Princess cruise we noticed a slight decline in service. Seems as if the staff was not as helpful and enthusiastic as usual. They almost seemed bored. The entertainment was definitely lacking and dead after 10 pm. Passengers would walk up to an empty piano to fill the void by showing off their talent which was fun. I agree, what a waste to show 3 movies in the Princess theater after dinner. The comedian was SO funny, the singer very good, and the juggler also great. Again, too bad one of the entertainers didn't make it on the ship. The poolside band was great. We had some room problems also: toilet didn't flush properly, and the shower drain was clogged. We politely requested that it be looked at but it never was. I had to take my ice bucket to the bar for ice, had to search for a ladder for one of the bunk beds for my son, had to ask for shampoo, etc. None of these earth shattering, but we never had these problems before with Princess. Something to take note of is the port times differed from those in the brochure which led to us missing an excursion in Aruba. Too bad as Aruba was "closed" for Good Friday. In spite of it all, I do hope the difference in service is an isolated incident and hope Princess will continue it's usual higher than average standards. By the way, where were the Alaskan crab legs for dinner?

Never saw the Alaskan crab legs either. This was our 2nd Princess cruise. Did the Golden 2 years ago, was very happy, so we tried them again. Must admit, I have my doubts about booking them again after this cruise. Every day we had to bring our ice bucket to the room steward to be refilled...never needed to do this before. As for all the things in the room that broke down, we are very easy going and fully understand that things happen, and realize that they were no big deal, but, when it's EVERY day something else, it does seem to grate on you. And I agree, the staff did seem bored. In the Horizon, a few times I had to put our used plates on an empty table, as the staff continually walked by and did not clear off the dirty dishes. Also, never saw so much interaction among the staff themselves. One female in the Horizon Court was chasing down one of her co-workers, wondering what he was going to buy her in St. Thomas. The Horizon was very crowded, but she did not seem to be concerned. Other times they just stood looking out the windows. Believe me, I feel for the crew and know they have it very rough and not the best conditions, but it was their lack of caring that bothered me. I would have been very happy to seem them laughing among themselves and having a good time, but to ignore the customers was a different matter. Felt this was pretty much the climate of the ship. Not much service with a smile.

We were on from March 28 until April 11 and our experience was totally different. We ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room about 60% of the time and felt the wait staff was some of the best we have encountered on our many Princess cruises. All of the waiters in the Florentine diningroom, where we had dinner, were very good and we ended up the last 6 days having a standing reservation with Jayson who we really enjoyed.

There was a problem several days over a 2 day period, on the 4/4 sailing, with the toilet evac system not working but it was fixed rapidly. We had no problems with the electric plugs A/C, or the telephone.

Our ice bucket was always filled. Room was kept immaculate and we had one of the best room stewardess we have ever had. She obtained extra chairs for our balcony which held 4 plus the table and was crowded but manageable. Anything we asked for was brought immediately.

We felt the singer was very good but did not care for the acrobatic juggler at all but entertainment is a matter of personal preference. We also were surprised that on several nights there wasn't much entertainment to our liking.

Sorry to hear about the service and problems you both encountered but want others to know that there is some great service and crew on the Dawn Princess.

Future cruises:

Sept 04 Star Princess x 2, Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

Archived