Norwegian Epic Solo

sheepie

I know 'Lily Star' has been posting about solo traveller but has anyone else been in the solo cabins and do you actually feel comfortable travelling alone on a cruise, especially for a woman on her own? I was looking at the single cabins on this ship. I have got elderly parents that I might help on this cruise but was just wondering in general how it feels to travel alone for the first time?

I had been on other cruises with my friends and also with my husband. I thought then that " I could do this on my own " ☺

So I booked a transatlantic on Epic and looked forward to it with nervous/excited anticipation. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have booked another for 2015 & 2016.

At the time I had so many carer responsibilities I just needed a break from everything.

I just wanted rest, pure and simple, didn't particularly want company or even entertainment. I was very happy with my own company. However I could see that there were plenty of other solo's and it would have been very easy to make friends and access the activities.

I decided to have a balcony but I'm sure if you were in one of the solo's it would be even easier to meet other people. What I loved was that I felt very comfortable doing whatever I wanted.

Go for it 👍👍

I find it more relaxing than going with my partner, and openly admit it. I am not a shore bunny, I like it on the ship when in port. Then I sleep through the sea days. 7 days on a cruise alone has me arriving back like a new man, relaxed. You can do what you want, when you want and join in if you would like to join in.

I've done many solo cruises, including a Transatlantic on the Epic (after back-packing around Europe), and an upcoming Breakaway trip to Bermuda. No worries about your safety, as long as you aren't stupid, but that applies to life in general and not just a cruise ;)

I've stayed in the studios before, and they are cozy, but work just fine.

Have a fabulous time! :)

Edited by arjay9

I went on the BA solo for my first cruise and had a great time. One thing NCL does well is entertainment, so I had difficulty being bored, and I found the studios on the BA comfortable and competitively priced.

You'll have no concerns with safety, especially on the ship. If you stay near the dock in ports, there's tons of people around and I never felt the least bit uneasy. However, it may be different as a woman, I wouldn't know that part. :)

I know 'Lily Star' has been posting about solo traveller but has anyone else been in the solo cabins and do you actually feel comfortable travelling alone on a cruise, especially for a woman on her own? I was looking at the single cabins on this ship. I have got elderly parents that I might help on this cruise but was just wondering in general how it feels to travel alone for the first time?

I just finished posting my review of the ship and traveling solo on the Epic. So check out my last blog entry on the "European Odyssey" blog/post!

Edited by Lilystar

I've stayed in the studios on the Epic twice and love them! I never felt unsafe and I loved having the lounge right down the hallway. I could run down there for a quick snack and then run back to my room without having to go all over the ship.

The meetings in the evening were fun, as were the dinners. The solo coordinators we had during those two trips were both awesome and were always ready to help with any reservations and/or changes that you might need.

I love the Epic and I love the studios. NCL's attention to the solo traveler community is a huge plus, in my opinion, and is the reason I haven't even considered looking elsewhere.

I am a fairly shy person and I did a solo cruise! I really like the studio cabin, I liked the fact that there was a 'group dinner' and it was nice to chat with others in the Living Room.

I had a lot of alone time, for reading/relaxing but I went to shows with other solo cruisers and saw many on deck to say to hello to. I had a wonderful time and never felt unsafe, nor bored, nor lonely!

After my divorce i never thought i'd cruise again :( but i plucked up the courage and booked the Epic 2yrs ago - i have to say i loved the solo cabin and lounge. Now i love my own company so i just did my own thing in the ports. In saying that in the lounge there was a board were you could travel with other singles on trips or go to dinner together.

Hope that helps

I've stayed in the studios on the Epic twice and love them! I never felt unsafe and I loved having the lounge right down the hallway. I could run down there for a quick snack and then run back to my room without having to go all over the ship.

The meetings in the evening were fun, as were the dinners. The solo coordinators we had during those two trips were both awesome and were always ready to help with any reservations and/or changes that you might need.

I love the Epic and I love the studios. NCL's attention to the solo traveler community is a huge plus, in my opinion, and is the reason I haven't even considered looking elsewhere.

This is particularly sums up why I like NCL - they didn't really have to regarding the studio rooms and the lounge along with what the solo coordinator does, but they did. The fringe benefits that comes with the fare regarding studio, lounge and/or the solo meets along with group dinner plus the other stuff on the Epic, Breakaway, Escape, & Getaway is; IMO, is one of the best out there.

I was on Epic in June 2014 and travelled solo. I actually had a balcony cabin thanks to a special offer (and no studios available as I did book last minute). I was still able to access the Studio Lounge where I met a great group of people of all ages and all credit to the young people who certainly looked after the oldies like myself!. The staff member assigned to the Studio Lounge did an excellent job in arranging for groups to have dinner together and generally helped everyone to feel relaxed and she provided us with lots of information on things to do ashore (was in fact more helpful than those on the Shore Excursion Desk) and several of us teamed up and ventured ashore together. I am still in contact with some of the people I met on that cruise.

I have booked to go on Epic from Barcelona on 19th Dec and will be meeting up with someone from the cruise last year. I will be in one of the studio cabins and am looking forward to that - having seen one of the cabins last year I was very impressed with the layout - only downside might be that there are no fridges in the studios.

I thought I would be travelling alone but my son and family have surprised me by booking this cruise too so I will have the added bonus of having son, daughter-in-law and twin grandsons flying to Barcelon from Dubai, where they are based, to be with me over Christmas and also be able to meet up with other solo passengers in the Lounge. We have an active roll call for our sailing and there are a few solo travellers and there are people from many different countries. So looking forward to returning to Epic.

I just wish other cruise lines would follow the example of NCL and provide cabins for the solo passengers. With most cruise lines we solos are so heavily penalised with the single supplements and it makes it difficult to cruise with some companies because of this.

Hope you all enjoy the studio cabin experience.

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

I traveled solo for the first time last October. It was my first NCL cruise, and I have my second solo cruise booked for March on the Epic. I'm looking forward to the "studio experience." On the Jade I booked an inside (no studios), and wasn't sure if I could handle cruising without a balcony or at least a window, but it was fine. I'm now not at all concerned about staying in a studio.

I didn't go to any of the solo get-togethers, but met a lot of people nonetheless. I'm fine with my own company, but was surprised how many people struck up conversations with me. I think being solo may make it easier for people to do that. I spent a little time with another solo from my roll call and a few different couples, also from the roll call. That was ample opportunity to spend time with others or by myself...whichever I wanted at the time.

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just book a Studio on Epic. I didn't realize NCL staffs the area with a solo coordinator to set up group dinners and excursions. Great idea! I'm really looking forward to my first NCL Cruise!

I love solo on the EPIC and the get togethers are either your cup of tea or not... on my last cruise there were lots of solo guests and the lounge was packed so i just found it claustrophobic but managed to meet people regardless.

Safety was never an issue!

To be fair many officers came by the lounge regularly to get coffee believe it or not, so it felt like there was many staff checking in too.

For your cruise ports, perhaps a cruiseline tour would be the safest?

and do you actually feel comfortable travelling alone on a cruise, especially for a woman on her own? I was looking at the single cabins on this ship. I have got elderly parents that I might help on this cruise but was just wondering in general how it feels to travel alone for the first time?

It feels amazing! I loved it and can't wait to do it again! Epic has a great set-up and I met so many people. Many of them I consider friends and still chat with after a year and a half. I never felt alone except when I first walked on board the ship and grabbed lunch alone at O'sheehan's; but then they sat me at a table with another couple anyway.

Just make sure to be active on your roll-call and you will get to know a few before you even get there. You will love it!! :D

My first solo cruise was on the epic and I have done four other solo trips on other ships. I am a 37 year old woman and I have never felt unsafe, but I am from NYC so I always kind of keep my guard up. I am in the minority - I loved the studio lounge but the cabin it self was a little small for me. I am going on the Breakaway in December and booked a regular inside cabin - I feel like that extra 30-50 sq ft make a difference.

I saw someone on this thread mention that solos can access the lounge during the solos meet ups. Is that still true? I would like to participate in one of the group meals if possible.

Edited by queenschick9b

Never have sailed solo in one of the NCL studio staterooms. I find them to not be cost advantageous a lot of the time on Epic or Getaway.

Sometimes the solo rate for an oceanview is close to the solo rate for a studio.

As far as cruising alone, I love it. The 1st time I was a bit nervous about it, but in a couple hours I was totally comfortable. Just talk to folks and enjoy.

I like the experience of traveling with friends and the sharing of our experiences and all of that, but there are advantages of having the stateroom all to yourself.

The bad part is that you pay double for the most part. If I see a great deal then I book, as the great deal is still affordable for a solo.

Happy sailing. Relax solo is fine.