Early Saver - not available

LucyDoncaster

I know its irritating that you cant book a saver deal for 3/4 however you need to look at it this way.

There are only a certain amount of 3 or 4 berth cabins on a ship. Saver fares are offered on a TYPE of cabin only, not on individual cabins. When booking closes the saver passengers are slotted in where there is space. If savers are offered for parties of 3/4 there is no guarantee that a cabin of this type will be available.

But we were discussing Early Savers not Savers!

This.

We booked a Late Saver three berth no problem this July. It's the Early Saver they won't let us book ( for the cruise we want, seems others have had success on other cruises)

I get the financial reasons they do it, just disappointed.

Hey ho, we loved Britannia so much we will be back on her at some stage, even if it means seeing what Late Savers are available a couple of months before next summer.

LucyDoncaster- I think I would keep checking the website if that is the cruise you have your heart set on. They may release some more cabins or change the offer they have on. You might even get it cheaper! Have you tried a different TA? It might make a difference. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucyDoncaster- I think I would keep checking the website if that is the cruise you have your heart set on. They may release some more cabins or change the offer they have on. You might even get it cheaper! Have you tried a different TA? It might make a difference. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, I will keep checking. Tried two TA's and P&O website and phone.

Well, a turn up for the books today! I'd enquiries via a TA about the cruise in question and was told that we couldn't have the Early Saver. I checked with P&O on the phone and online to confirm that.

Our TA phoned back today to see if we wanted to book the Select Fare. I said no, we were going to leave it as Select isn't worth it for us, but to keep me in mind if she hears if Early Saver comes available as we'd book at the advertised price.

Ten minutes later she rang back to say she'd spoken to P&O and they would honour the Early Saver! Got some OBC thrown in to for being a returning customer too so booked! Hurrah!

Alls well that ends well.

A few weeks ago I booked our first every P and O cruises. A 7 night and a 2 night cruise from Southampton for August 2016 . At the time and not knowing any different I booked both cruises on Select fares (as that was all that was on offer) with everything that went with the fare, cabin selection etc. after reading all these comments about early saver fares etc. I've just checked the prices and both cruise prices have gone up since I booked. So at the moment I'm quite happy. It will be interesting to see if they are offered on Saver fares later to make a comparison. To be honest whatever happens to the price I am happy because Ive got what we wanted.

This is my first experience with P and O so I can't really comment on them but with past booking experiences on other lines you usually find that the wonderful early deal which includes Drinks packages etc. usually drops dramatically in price nearer to the departure date but any so called freebies disappear .

I booked a transatlantic + Caribbean 28night cruise including return flights on celebrity over a year ago which departs in a few weeks . The cruise only price has now dropped significantly but now there's no deal including return flights.

I suppose the moral of my ramblings is "when is a good deal not a good deal"

Edited by glynandkath

A few weeks ago I booked our first every P and O cruises. A 7 night and a 2 night cruise from Southampton for August 2016 . At the time and not knowing any different I booked both cruises on Select fares (as that was all that was on offer) with everything that went with the fare, cabin selection etc. after reading all these comments about early saver fares etc. I've just checked the prices and both cruise prices have gone up since I booked. So at the moment I'm quite happy. It will be interesting to see if they are offered on Saver fares later to make a comparison. To be honest whatever happens to the price I am happy because Ive got what we wanted.

This is my first experience with P and O so I can't really comment on them but with past booking experiences on other lines you usually find that the wonderful early deal which includes Drinks packages etc. usually drops dramatically in price nearer to the departure date but any so called freebies disappear .

I booked a transatlantic + Caribbean 28night cruise including return flights on celebrity over a year ago which departs in a few weeks . The cruise only price has now dropped significantly but now there's no deal including return flights.

I suppose the moral of my ramblings is "when is a good deal not a good deal"

Exactly. It was lovely reading your post, a happy customer.

Yes if the cruise is a go every week, all of our ships go there all the time sort of place, then after final payment has been made by the select fare payers (90 days prior to sailing) they tend to kick in with the saver (late saver) fares.

These can be a lot cheaper than the select, the only choice you have is type of cabin (inside/outside/balcony) etc. Dining is a wait until you get onboard to see what you have. As you can see different T and C.

Dependent on how the cruise is selling you may get the early saver fare kick in, at any time up to the 90 days.2nd choice for dining ,not sure if you can pick your cabin, any upgrades will go to select first. As you can see different T and C.

As select fares these days tends to come with a huge wedge of obs I am not so sure the saver fares are that much different

select+obs=y

saver+all you spend on board=y (unless you do not drink/eat in select dining/book excursions, when it will be cheaper)

Exactly. It was lovely reading your post, a happy customer.

Yes if the cruise is a go every week, all of our ships go there all the time sort of place, then after final payment has been made by the select fare payers (90 days prior to sailing) they tend to kick in with the saver (late saver) fares.

These can be a lot cheaper than the select, the only choice you have is type of cabin (inside/outside/balcony) etc. Dining is a wait until you get onboard to see what you have. As you can see different T and C.

Dependent on how the cruise is selling you may get the early saver fare kick in, at any time up to the 90 days.2nd choice for dining ,not sure if you can pick your cabin, any upgrades will go to select first. As you can see different T and C.

As select fares these days tends to come with a huge wedge of obs I am not so sure the saver fares are that much different

select+obs=y

saver+all you spend on board=y (unless you do not drink/eat in select dining/book excursions, when it will be cheaper)

Thanks for you explanation. It's interesting marketing I will monitor with interest.

But it is also good to get what you want regardless. On the 7night on Ventura we have our 8 year old grandson with us and it would have been so disappointing for him if we had been given an obstructed view as it will be his first cruise. The 2 night is on Azura and it just myself and my wife to Guernsey, we have actually selected an obstructed view it was a bit cheaper and with only 2night it really didn't seem worth paying anymore .

Yes, we opt for different fares according to whether it matters which cabin or dining option we want. Sometimes we are happy and even enjoy taking an exciting gamble and at other times we are not.

We have recently had a cruise on Cunard where booked Early Saver. We got a brilliant cabin , but not the dinner sitting we asked for. But we were delighted!!!!

We make our decision and then don't worry at all about what the prices are doing other than to try to work out the formula now and again - and fail miserably.

Edited by Scriv

Yes, we opt for different fares according to whether it matters which cabin or dining option we want. Sometimes we are happy and even enjoy taking an exciting gamble and at other times we are not.

We have recently had a cruise on Cunard where booked Early Saver. We got a brilliant cabin , but not the dinner sitting we asked for. But we were delighted!!!!

We make our decision and then don't worry at all about what the prices are doing other than to try to work out the formula now and again - and fail miserably.

We have a simlar take , whilst the marketing techniques interest me . I'm a great believer in if its what you want, book it and be sure you've got it. We are going to Antartica next Feb on Celebrity, it's been booked for over a year . We booked a package with flights 2 nights hotel in Buenos Aires and a 3 day add on to iguazu Fall . It must be an extremely popular cruise as I've seen the price rocket, so much so the Cruise only fare is now more than our package. On the other hand we do like a last minute take it or leave it deal as well.

Happy Cruising