How long to see El Yunque?

bumbles

We are starting our cruise in San Juan - arriving Saturday evening and sailing at 10 pm on Sunday. We'll have some time on Saturday morning/afternoon to see the sites and would like to visit El Yunque. How much time should we dedicate to this? How long is the drive over?

We'll have a rental car and are staying at the Courtyard in Isla Verde.

Thanks!

El Yunque is about an hour drive from San Juan. Once there you can spend as much or as little time as you desire. We like to stop at the visitor center, La Coca Falls, and the observation tower. We spent a total of a couple hours in the rain forest and then went to the Kioskos for lunch and spent a little time at Luquillo beach before heading back to town. You could also go to Guavate for some pork, live music and salsa dancing. I highly recommend it.

Depends on what you want to do in El Yunque. If you want the touris-ty experience you'll need between 3-4 hrs. 1hr drive, one to two in the visitor's center Yokahu observation tower and Coca falls and an hour drive back. A more in-depth visit would take you to La Mina falls and include a stop at Luquillo kiosks for the local food. Easiest path to La mina is a brisk 45-50 min walk each way plus whatever time you spend in La MIna falls. I would say get up early, hit the road by 8am and make it a day trip. Be back around 4-5pm to board the ship. Mind you, This is on a Sunday. Locals like to visit on the weekend, especially Sundays so traffic and parking tends to get more difficult near the attractions.

A more in-depth visit would take you to La Mina falls and include a stop at Luquillo kiosks for the local food. Easiest path to La mina is a brisk 45-50 min walk each way plus whatever time you spend in La MIna falls.

I would add that the return from La Mina up the steps is rather taxing. Lots of uphill.

I would add that the return from La Mina up the steps is rather taxing. Lots of uphill.

There are actually two ways to get to La Mina falls. There is bare parking lot with a lemonade stand (I'm not making this up..lol) right at the entrance of the trail, on the left side of the road (going up). This trail has a steep walk at the beginning (at the end when you return). This way it's about 45-50 minute leisurely walk to/from the falls but has flat parts, some stairs, up and down inclines. Longer but much easier. The second is more than likely the one you're referring to. It's a bit farther up the road after the parking lot I mentioned The trail starts behind a small visitors center along gazebos used for picnics. It's basically all downhill with stairs most of the way along the river to the falls. Even going downhill with so many stairs is taxing. This way is shorter but it kicks your butt physically.

Thanks guys...

Which of the falls is better - Coca or La mina? Sounds like we'll only have time for one of them.

We're avid hikers so uphills/stairs are not a problem.

As stated above, Coca is right on the way. Won't take much time.

La Mina is I think more attractive.

There are actually two ways to get to La Mina falls. There is bare parking lot with a lemonade stand (I'm not making this up..lol) right at the entrance of the trail, on the left side of the road (going up). This trail has a steep walk at the beginning (at the end when you return). This way it's about 45-50 minute leisurely walk to/from the falls but has flat parts, some stairs, up and down inclines. Longer but much easier. The second is more than likely the one you're referring to. It's a bit farther up the road after the parking lot I mentioned The trail starts behind a small visitors center along gazebos used for picnics. It's basically all downhill with stairs most of the way along the river to the falls. Even going downhill with so many stairs is taxing. This way is shorter but it kicks your butt physically.

You're correct, and I actually took this trail too. It's called Big Tree Trail.

Despite the exertion, which my knees still remember, I prefer the La Mina trail because it lies along the river, which is full of all kinds of little falls and rapids.