Carnival Mastercard Points

MrsAReid

Hello CC Family! I hope all is well with you all. I received an email stating I have 180 days to redeem my points for using my card. I wanted to know if I don't use the points will they take them back? I don't have that many points so the gifts I can get are a baseball cap, photo cash or a cake but I rather save my points and continue to add to them for a better gift. What gift would you choose if you had my options? Please help. Thanks in advance for all the information.

Hello CC Family! I hope all is well with you all. I received an email stating I have 180 days to redeem my points for using my card. I wanted to know if I don't use the points will they take them back? I don't have that many points so the gifts I can get are a baseball cap, photo cash or a cake but I rather save my points and continue to add to them for a better gift. What gift would you choose if you had my options? Please help. Thanks in advance for all the information.

Before deciding anything place a call to your credit card company. Sometimes the CC companies make agreements with 3rd party agencies who will send you emails on the CC company behalf telling you to use your points before they expire. I know airline companies do this frequently with magazine & newsprint companies. I get messages being told to use my miles to buy magazines before they expire. Not sure if your points will expire or not (I didn't think cruise points would on a Carnival MC) but when they tell you to use your points for other purchases I get very suspicious.

The points on my Carnival Sea Miles card are good for 5 years. I don't know if they actually send you a letter that you have points expiring or not. I have asked the question of them before and the person I talked to at that time said they didn't know! If you haven't done so already, I would give them a call, sure don't want to lose any points you have accumulated! Of course, you can always apply what you have to any of your past Carnival charges, such as your deposit, sail and sign, etc. up to 180 days. Maybe that's what the letter meant. Definitely give them a call!

Call Barclay's and ask them. I had the same question a few years ago and they assured me that they were not taking them away from me. The explanation was a bit complicated but I didn't lose any. They will be happy to explain and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I believe the 180 days refers to using your points as a statement credit towards any Carnival purchases. Points don't expire for five years.

^^^^^We have a winner! This is the correct answer.

Evidently you either purchased something with Carnival or one of their sister cruise lines or even a motel stay (Super 8) . You can receive a credit towards those purchases if you have enough points. You have 180 days from purchase to do this.

Points don't expire for 5 years.

The way it was explained to me was: Any purchases that are made on the card, you have a certain amount of time to apply your points to those purchases. But the points don't expire for 5 years. I'm not sure how much sense that makes, If I pay off my balance every month, how can it apply to a purchase from a few months prior. I guess it would be a credit towards next months purchases. I didn't ask any further questions, because I was just concerned with whether or not they were going to expire before my cruise that was coming up. I am sure they will clarify when you call.

If I pay off my balance every month, how can it apply to a purchase from a few months prior.

Before you pay your bill, you can go online, bring up your account, apply your points to any Carnival charge within the last 180 days. You can then pay your bill minus what you applied online. (Hope that makes sense.)

Edited by tandemcruzr

Before deciding anything place a call to your credit card company. Sometimes the CC companies make agreements with 3rd party agencies who will send you emails on the CC company behalf telling you to use your points before they expire. I know airline companies do this frequently with magazine & newsprint companies. I get messages being told to use my miles to buy magazines before they expire. Not sure if your points will expire or not (I didn't think cruise points would on a Carnival MC) but when they tell you to use your points for other purchases I get very suspicious.

I used to receive those magazine offers from USAirways before they merged with American Airlines. It was very annoying because my miles were no where near ready to expire.

The points on my Carnival Sea Miles card are good for 5 years. I don't know if they actually send you a letter that you have points expiring or not. I have asked the question of them before and the person I talked to at that time said they didn't know! If you haven't done so already, I would give them a call, sure don't want to lose any points you have accumulated! Of course, you can always apply what you have to any of your past Carnival charges, such as your deposit, sail and sign, etc. up to 180 days. Maybe that's what the letter meant. Definitely give them a call!

I have had my CC since 2007 and NONE of my points have expired yet.