Bergen, Norway

Before the posting police attack me, I am well aware that there is a designated area for information regarding to specific ports of call. However, recently there was a lot of conversation in regards to developing an area for handicap information about places in Europe. So I am hoping that whoever is assembling that information will include this and share it with everyone, especially those of us on this side of the pond hoping to enjoy the beauties of Europe.

The reply applies to the Jekteviken pier. That is where the Serenade OTS is Scheduled to dock for the 15 May 2016 cruise. Please note that RCCL also received the response. I had addressed my original request to the other addressees.

In addition, the funicular and light rail are accessible. However, the light rail line runs out of town.

To betty oper@europeancruise.no special_needs@rccl.com

CC Ruth

Good morning Betty,

Port of Bergen has buses accessible to wheelchairs, these runs regularly throughout the day from the ship’s arrival near to departure time. They stop in the city centre and it takes about 3-5 minutes to drive there, depending on traffic.

And the buses are free of charge.

We wish you welcome next year.

Kind regards

Helen Hovland

Marketing Manager Cruise

PORT OF BERGEN

However, recently there was a lot of conversation in regards to developing an area for handicap information about places in Europe. So I am hoping that whoever is assembling that information will

Really don't think anyone including CC is doing anything about developing an area for handicap information specific to Europe. Didn't search the forum but think that a CC Member made the suggestion on the thread t that was asking for questions regarding an article be written. But I could be mistaken ,.

Betty,

I'm not sure if you are seeking additional Bergen information, but if so, I can help a little.

Ships used to dock at a commercial port with a compulsory shuttle bus into town. Wheelchair accessible buses were provided, but on our 2011 visit they didn't turn up to get us back to the ship. So there were a lot of unhappy wheelchair and scooter jockeys worrying about getting on board in time to sail.

I'm assuming that the berth you are referring to is the one we were at last time, in 2013. It's a 20-30 minute reasonably level wheel into the centre of town, passing the old harbour side houses and shops which are very pretty. On the way into town you pass the fish market which I can thoroughly recommend if you have any taste at all for seafood.

The funicular railway has very good disabled access with a separate lift platform but get there early. On arrival it was fine and the view at the top was superb. Before long you couldn't get a picture because of hordes of Chinese tourists from a Concordia ship doing selfies. By the time we came to go down the queues at the bottom waiting to go up must have been 40-50 metres long out into the street and three deep. It's a bit of a hill up to the entrance of the funicular but nothing that should challenge most people.

Make sure you take waterproof clothing. Bergen gets something like 320 days of rain a year, although it has been bone dry and sunny on both our visits.

If you need any more Norway disabled port advice just post. We've done most of them except Oslo. Going there in April though.

Chunky - Thanks.

Oslo is the only one we have been to in Norway. It is real easy to get around there. I recently posted as brief description of where we went on the Oslo thread (link): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2248019

In Bergen we are planning on making a mad dash for the funicular. Also, if we have time, we may take a short ride on the light rail and see what we can see. Fish markets are an automatic stop every place we travel. Those in Europe and Asia are great. I would love to have a good eel dinner or some good smoked eel.

Norway does provide very good information regarding accessibility.

Oh, we carry rain gear everywhere for both us and the scooters in our scooter backpacks.

Betty

• 5 months later...

Chunky2219 - I'd be so very grateful for advice on tours available for mobility scooter users in the following Fjord ports : Flam, particularly the train / Alesund / Geiranger / Bergen. I can walk a few steps, but need the scooter for any longer. We did a Fjords cruise last year, but could not get any info from P&O prior to sailing as to what would be suitable, they said talk to the tour staff on board - once on board we were told, you should have booked accessible tours before coming!! It seemed that we would have been able to do a lot more, so have booked to go again this year, so any info you could give me on these ports would be great?! Thanks.

Hi folks,, there is a section for European Disabled Cruising.It is at the moment in its infancy but the more people use the section the more info will come available.

This is good to hear and hope there will be lots of information there as it will be helpful.

In regard to Bergen we were there last year and it was wet. We docked in the commercial dock so could only get out via a coach, we were glad we booked a panoramic trip because of the rain.

Hi everybody,

Glad to see that there is more interest in moving info toward European ports of call. As people express an interest in the various ports, we should be able to share our experiences or information that will help all.

Shortly after I get home, I will attempt to write a little note on what to do after a little flip (applies to anywhere and everywhere). At this moment, my advise is to make sure you have travel insurance. Loosing the cost of a cruise is just a minor thing. Getting airlifted back to the States gets real pricey and they want Cash in Advance.

Hope to post more info next week... after I finally get home from the mishap.

Betty

When we visited Flam I took a manual wheelchair. You can buy tickets for the train online. The train guard put down a ramp for me to get on the train and there are wheelchair spaces for the chair once on board. The station is a out200m flat walk from where the ships dock.

There is a Europe Disabled Cruising Forum just above this one, but hardly anybody posts in it.