train to madrid

cruisinpoler

Hi. We are cruising from barcelona next year and are thinking of taking the high-speed train from barcelona to madrid post-cruise. there will be 7 of us- 4 men, 2 women and a toddler. my concern is lugging all that luggage through the train station... we will have at least one medium-sized bag per person since we are going on a 12-day cruise... i have taken trains in europe and know that some of the train stations have stairs and can be difficult to navigate. how are the train stations in barcelona and madrid? we would probably take cabs from the port to the station, then the station to our hotel in madrid. thanks!!

The AVE high speed areas are going to be accessible an any change in level will involve moving ramps, escalators or elevators.

I am a big fan of 'Spinner' bags when moving through airports and train stations. The ease of changing their direction is the greatest feature.

They do offer a service where they will take your bags at Barcelona and deliver them to your hotel. It costs 20 euro for the first bag and 16 for the second and third. Then a second passenger could check 3 bags this way as well. Otherwise they do not offer the discount if it is one 20 euro bag per passenger.

I think they might even collect the bags at the cruise port, but am unsure and this might get too complicated. Another problem with this is that it appears to be next day delivery and not same day.

You do have the brief security stop before entering the secure AVE area of the train station and all bags and carry on items must go through the scanner.

Edited by MADflyer