Select dining - make a reservation?

jabrown40

On our Solstice cruise last week we made 6:30 reservations for eight people for all nights except when we had a specialty restaurant booking. There were no lines and we had a good table. There was a hiccup on the second formal night where they had failed to link the reservations together, so there were four reservations for two-tops. They ended up seating us in the MDR. Service suffered, as you can imagine. Otherwise, we'd make prior reservations again for a large group.

When my wife and I are cruising just the two of us, we've never made reservations and had no problems.

So I get it that select dining means you eat in the MDR when you want - but am I supposed to use the website to go ahead and make reservations? Thanks for the help!

We do select dining and never book, just turn up when we're ready to eat. No problems and only once have we been asked to wait....................... 5 minutes.

Obviously, there are certain times when the MDR is particularly busy, so just give those times a swerve

Edited by LF2C

We just took our first Celebrity cruise. It was port intensive to Alaska and a very late departure on the first night. We made a reservation for the 1st night and the first formal night before hand. Thought I had made both formal nights before hand but didn't and had trouble getting a reservation the night before. A lot of people had to get a buzzer and wait.

If you eat at popular times I would pre book, especially for special nights. Both formal nights were crazy in the MDR.

We were on Millennium.

So I get it that select dining means you eat in the MDR when you want - but am I supposed to use the website to go ahead and make reservations? Thanks for the help!

NO!!! they want you to, but we never make reservations. We go when we feel like it. That is the beauty of flex dining. We rarely have to wait and almost always we get in the same section with the same waitstaff. And if you ask, you will get the same waitstaff. If I want structure I will do set dining We go flex dining so we can be flexible and go eat when we feel like it. would never go back to set dining. Have done flex dining on every cruise line since it first came out.