Best beach on St Thomas

Micky1

Can someone please tell me what nice beaches are closest to Charlotte Amaile? From what I can see there will be three ships in St.Thomas the day we will be there. I know we will wait for a taxi so would prefer something close but still pretty. Don't want to waste too much of the day getting there and coming back.

Can someone please tell me what nice beaches are closest to Charlotte Amaile? From what I can see there will be three ships in St.Thomas the day we will be there. I know we will wait for a taxi so would prefer something close but still pretty. Don't want to waste too much of the day getting there and coming back.

Depends on where you're docked. If you're at Havensight the closest is beach at the Marriott. It's nice and about 5 mins away. Emerald is my favorite south side beach. It's in the opposite direction toward the airport--about 10 mins more driving. Hangout at the Best Western and buy some drinks at the bar and you can use the facilities.

Looks like Lindquest is the most beautiful. But we are not stay in the water or sit in the sand people. :rolleyes: (I am rolling those eyes at myself, not anyone else)

We would like a beach that has real bathrooms...I don't do port a potty on my worst day...chair and umbrella rentals and food and drink. I know, I am high maintenance on a low maintenance budget.

I guess that leaves Mangen or St John. Too many decisions...

Looks like Lindquest is the most beautiful. But we are not stay in the water or sit in the sand people. :rolleyes: (I am rolling those eyes at myself, not anyone else)

We would like a beach that has real bathrooms...I don't do port a potty on my worst day...chair and umbrella rentals and food and drink. I know, I am high maintenance on a low maintenance budget.

Sapphire, Emerald, Secret Harbor, Bolongo, Sugar Bay Morningstar, are all ok & will have the amenities, & I would rank Sapphire at the top. Secret Harbor is nice but small Magens will be crowded if there are even a few ships in port.

Here's a beach listing

http://www.visitusvi.com/stthomas/attractions

VInow dot com has more info

Thank you HarpHarp!! What a great resource you shared!

You're quite welcome. I loved living in St Thomas when I was young & single & am looking forward to showing my DH the beautiful island & some of my favorite spots.

I am puzzled as to why this site doesn't allow the link to vinow dot com. That site has a nice beach chart.

The beaches on St John are even more spectacular & Trunk Bay at the national park is one of my favorites.

There are real restrooms at Sapphire and Secret Harbor, and rentals at both (no umbrella rentals at Sapphire because there is abundant natural shade).

If you want more of a hotel experience with a nice restaurant, beach bar, and more "upscale" restrooms head for the Best Western Emerald Resort in Lindbergh Bay.

I am puzzled as to why this site doesn't allow the link to vinow dot com. That site has a nice beach chart

Yes vinow dot com is a great site for all things USVI including maps, taxi and ferry info, and sightseeing info. CC and tripadvisor are sister sites and are appear to be linked but others are hit or miss

http://www.**********

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

The best beach on the island is the beach that you are enjoying. ;)

Hello Blue Water

With 5 ships in port, would you still suggest Sapphire beach? It's our first choice but weary of overcrowding...

And have you visited Cowpet Bay? If so, how do you rate that in terms of sandy swimming areas and peace?

Appreciate your response

Cheers

Hello Blue Water

With 5 ships in port, would you still suggest Sapphire beach? It's our first choice but weary of overcrowding...

And have you visited Cowpet Bay? If so, how do you rate that in terms of sandy swimming areas and peace?

Appreciate your response

Cheers

Cheers!

We've stayed in a Sapphire condo and enjoyed the beach with 5 larger ships in port. There were day visitors for sure, and it was a little crowded in the sandy swimming area, at least on the beach near the dive center. But nothing like Coki or Magens. We love Sapphire and would not have a concern if coming in on a ship that day because there are many areas to relax (with natural shade) other that that beach section. In terms of a nice swimming beach we much prefer Sapphire over Cowpet Bay or Elysian Beach. But although there are many condo properties and the beach isn't as nice as Sapphire, Elysian Beach where the Elysian condo property is located will be one of the quietest beaches with a beach grill and a decent beach.

For a quiet day and a nice beach with a beach bar and restrooms we'd go to Hull Bay. Maybe not as stunning as Sapphire, but a nice beach where you're sure to have a quiet spot to yourselves.

Edited by blue_water