Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

Couldn't agree more with the above.

There was some sort of survey that was published a while ago asking people their worst fear while on vacation away from home. I thought the answers would be 'losing my passport', 'missing my flight' etc., but no...the #1 answer was (to my great surprise) "losing my travelling companion"!

I had never considered the possibility of losing my travelling companion, but in light of the event in this thread, I can only imagine the fear and worry the mother would have had...and would have had if the missing person(s) were her partner/spouse/SO/children/best friend/ whoever.

I would have left the ship as well for whoever I was travelling with if they failed to make it back in time.

Me too 100%

Actually, when departing the ship, there is a BIG GIANT SIGN with the time for crew and passengers to be back on the ship.

Seriously, it's a BIG GIANT SIGN.

Which exit did you use on this ship this week? Forward or middle? I'm only curious because there always is a sign and was looking for it. I saw the numerous signs about what not to bring back on board, but no time sign. I spoke with many people that day and they hadn't seen a sign either. Maybe they put it by one exit and not the other?

Which exit did you use on this ship this week? Forward or middle? I'm only curious because there always is a sign and was looking for it. I saw the numerous signs about what not to bring back on board, but no time sign. I spoke with many people that day and they hadn't seen a sign either. Maybe they put it by one exit and not the other?

LOL :)

I'll be on the lookout for the big giant sign this week, but maybe Dawn has 3, and is holding Breakaway's captive?

Wondering, who shares the blame other than the two young ladies who couldn't get back to the ship on time? The other 4,000 passengers somehow managed to know what time they had to be back and got back on time?

I asked GamblingMommy how they knew what time to be back, because if she knew the time and made it back and the other 4,000 passengers made it back on time, there was obviously more than enough communication from the ship on what that time was.

They have said there was no sign at the gangway.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one that thought this was the best blackmail material a mother can hold over her children forever and the daughters did it to themselves!:eek: Mom is never going to let them live it down, she'll even tell the grandchildren years from now, about the time in Bermuda when their mothers were in their 20's missing the ship, HA!

Not all families are vindictive. Some treat each other with respect and don't dwell on others mistakes.

This was posted: "Two young ladies in their 20s having too much fun at Calico Jacks, the pirate boat, and totally forgot about the time. Mom had to get off the ship and go get them, and by that time the ship was leaving, mom very very mad. Plan to return one hour before departure, taking it to the last minute is not going to do anything for you."

Sort of me too. If it was my husband drunk in the bar in Bermuda, not sure if I wouldn't leave him behind.

...just read a review:

Calico Jacks,

“Fun spot to watch the cruise ships sail away or walk the plank”

I thinks Jacks should offer the girls a free drink on their return cruise.:p

My take is the mom knew all 3 would be missing the ship and had the needed docs with her and then some...the ship knew she was getting to basically "rescue" the girls and wasn't expecting her back

Mom did the right thing and it actually is quite logical that ncl may have been well aware that she was not leaving her daughters stranded without docs etc.

Since everyone here is so seasoned a cruiser then you would know that it is not at all unusual for a family member to stay behind and wait with docs clothes money etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly! I would like to think the mother was in communication with the ship's staff and once it became apparent the ship would leave without the girls, she loaded up everything needed and left the ship with everyone's blessing. I would also think she was in a panic and worried about the girls. Lesson learned by everyone.

It seems that 4,000 folks paid attention to details and 2 didn't, so the blame lays solely on the shoulders of the two young ladies. Also, on all my NCL cruise, they tell you to bring an id along with our keycard when departing the ship, if NCL didn't do this on your cruise shame on them.

They won't be able to check you off the ship without your keycard. It must be read into the computer before they let you go to the gangway. I have also been required to show them my picture ID. Where did the info come from that the girls didn't have these things ??

It seems that 4,000 folks paid attention to details and 2 didn't, so the blame lays solely on the shoulders of the two young ladies. Also, on all my NCL cruise, they tell you to bring an id along with our keycard when departing the ship, if NCL didn't do this on your cruise shame on them.

Wouldn't it also be appropriate to criticize the ship's security officers for letting people off the ship without checking for a picture ID ??

That has been a requirement for many years.

Exactly! I would like to think the mother was in communication with the ship's staff and once it became apparent the ship would leave without the girls, she loaded up everything needed and left the ship with everyone's blessing. I would also think she was in a panic and worried about the girls. Lesson learned by everyone.

They also would want to be absolutely sure the girls were not onboard. It really would have been a cluster f# if the mom left and they were onboard. Even though their keycard had not been swiped back in there could have been something wrong with the computer system. On one cruise I heard a friends name in my group called several times before departure. I knew this friend had not gotten off the ship. I knew the lounge she usually hung out at so I went there and there she was. It was a noisy lounge so she did not here the announcements. I said they have been calling your name to go to guest relations. We went to guest relations and they thought she had not returned which was weird because she never left! And they had terrible quality color copies of her picture. They using those to look for her onboard. So there can be glitches in the card system.

Edited by Charles4515

Not all families are vindictive. Some treat each other with respect and don't dwell on others mistakes.

This is one of those times where a parent can hold it over their kids forever because the kids genuinely screw up badly. And with mom on trip too.

They won't be able to check you off the ship without your keycard. It must be read into the computer before they let you go to the gangway. I have also been required to show them my picture ID. Where did the info come from that the girls didn't have these things ??

Because mom was holding it....

Who said? There was the usual electronic sign with the red letters.
Thank you for the info. One poster said there was no sign and also mentioned that folks didn't know to bring a picture ID, which I took as them saying NCL was not communicating properly when to be back and that they needed an ID.

Here is what the other poster said: The time was on the original itinerary paperwork and on the daily. However it was not prominently displayed. And: I just think there needs to be a little more communication about the time and also to have a picture ID with you. You should have seen the line of people on the first day in Bermuda who didn't bring ID off the ship and had to check their ship cards with a passenger list in customs.

Wouldn't it also be appropriate to criticize the ship's security officers for letting people off the ship without checking for a picture ID ??

That has been a requirement for many years.

The ships does not check you for a photo ID leaving. Bermuda checks it returning. The ship tells you in the daily sheet and usually on the sign. And since this was the third day the ship was there you would think the girls would know by then they needed their ID.

Anyhow who said that the girls didn't have their Photo ID?

Edited by Charles4515

No.

I have never been asked for ID, other than the ship card, when disembarking. Never.

I have never been asked for an ID, other than my keycard, when leaving the ship either. NCL and every other cruise line I've been on (over 35 cruises) is very clear in their communications to take a picture ID with you when you get off the ship and not one of them every asked for me to show it to them when I got off the ship. If people don't read or hear the directions, then it is their own fault, not the cruise line's, if they don't follow the directions.

Anyhow who said that the girls didn't have their Photo ID?

No one ever said or insinuated that the ladies didn't have their photo ID (a poster must have misread the posts), another poster said when saying there wasn't enough signing or communications with regard to time to be back and needing photo IDs: I just think there needs to be a little more communication about the time and also to have a picture ID with you. You should have seen the line of people on the first day in Bermuda who didn't bring ID off the ship and had to check their ship cards with a passenger list in customs. Edited by NLH Arizona

They make sure you swipe you ship card when you leave and when you come back onboard. They don't check your photo ID either way. Your photo is on the machine. They look at that. If it is checked, ( not all countries check) it is checked by the local authorities when you are going back onboard.
That is exactly how it has worked on all my 35+ cruises. Maybe someone is getting the ship card and photo ID mixed up.

Although it has never happened to us I have seen it many times in many ports. I think the worst of it most people have their money, CC and important stuff on the ship so finding your way home could be a challenge.

Security will go into their stateroom and open their safe to see if they have their Passports in there and hand it to the Harbor Master.....