Planning a cruise..I have questions

twinklen01

We live in Riverside, CA & currently do all of our travel out of LAX (until ONT gets 100% control of the airport back from LAWA flights out of ONT are much more than it costs us to drive into LAX). We usually take a red eye out of LA on American (when going to AI resorts in the Caribbean) however flying in a day or two prior to embarkation is something we plan to do for our next cruise.

We always vacation in April so I'd suggest cruising in March if you can hold out! Good luck with your decision, any itinerary in the Caribbean is a winner!!

We like to fly Southwest. Usually some of the best rates and bags fly free. Plus, if fares go down, you can ask for the credit.

For us, our favorite is Southern or Eastern.

Once you decide on your itinerary, visit the Port of call forums to find excursion ideas based on the preferences of your family.

There is usually always somewhere nearby to purchase soda before embarkation. We have always found a drugstore or gas station mini mart within walking distance of our hotel. (We always fly in a day early).

I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll have an awesome trip!

DocF,what beach do you recommend in Grand Turk? We leave in about 19 days and one of the stops is Grand Turk, and we can't decide what to do while there.

By the way, very cute furbaby!!

Free beach just at the pier, Go left and walk up to Jack's Shack. Inexpensive prices on drinks but there are no chairs or loungers available up there although they do have a nice patio.

We fly from Sacramento for all our cruises. If you want to keep the AF down you might look at going out of Galveston. American seems to have the best/most routes down into the Caribbean. We just did Belize and Rotan, which were interesting. If you do Belize I can recommend the Cave Tubing and Zipline it was great fun.

Thanksgiving flying will be expensive not matter what and if flying home on Sunday after I would stay a night and go home on Monday. Saturday is not to bad. Thanksgiving cruise prices will be higher than normal.

I haven't done an eastern or southern-they are on my list though!

I have done the western Caribbean three times, and going to do it for a 4th-

grand cayman-first time-did the submarine, not a semi sub, fantastic

second time, walked up to Don Foster's Dive shop, and snorkeled for free-I love free

Cozumel-tour of the island on the first trip-

second and third trip-spent the day at El Cid, (day pass, within walking distance of Carnival port) and if I was going with beach babies again on the fourth trip I would go back, but we are doing Salsa and Salsa.

Belize-the first time we snorkeled the reef, not too impressed after snorkeling at El Cid

second time, we walked through town to the Museum, town is scary, best customer service at a museum I have ever seen. (oh, I work at an arts center)

Honduras-ship missed mahogany bay on our first trip there, the reason for the that particular trip -but we got to go the second time. the waters in Honduras at Roatan are beautiful.

To fly all that way to go to HMC? you could do an inexpensive Bahamas cruise from Charleston, Jacksonville, and Orlando to get to HMC. you could do that and Disney World for a few days. You could do a B2B, but here is the secret that no one has shared-well they might be while I am typing---

HMC is a beautiful beach -but if the weather is bad, seas are choppy, or a storm is coming in-you wont get there. It's a tender port on a private island. They wont risk your safety trying to move you there. And they don't come back the next day if you miss it. So I wouldn't plan my whole cruise around one beach.

Especially if you are traveling that far-have you thought about Bermuda?

We like to fly Southwest. Usually some of the best rates and bags fly free. Plus, if fares go down, you can ask for the credit.

For us, our favorite is Southern or Eastern.

Once you decide on your itinerary, visit the Port of call forums to find excursion ideas based on the preferences of your family.

There is usually always somewhere nearby to purchase soda before embarkation. We have always found a drugstore or gas station mini mart within walking distance of our hotel. (We always fly in a day early).

I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll have an awesome trip!

Eastern is looking like #1 choice. 2nd is out of San Juan

We live in Riverside, CA & currently do all of our travel out of LAX (until ONT gets 100% control of the airport back from LAWA flights out of ONT are much more than it costs us to drive into LAX). We usually take a red eye out of LA on American (when going to AI resorts in the Caribbean) however flying in a day or two prior to embarkation is something we plan to do for our next cruise.

We always vacation in April so I'd suggest cruising in March if you can hold out! Good luck with your decision, any itinerary in the Caribbean is a winner!!

Airfare is killing this chance for a trip :/ southwest is $553 one way to Miami and there's 3 of us. I know airfare sometimes drops but not sure if it will since its spring break

We fly from Sacramento for all our cruises. If you want to keep the AF down you might look at going out of Galveston. American seems to have the best/most routes down into the Caribbean. We just did Belize and Rotan, which were interesting. If you do Belize I can recommend the Cave Tubing and Zipline it was great fun.

Thanksgiving flying will be expensive not matter what and if flying home on Sunday after I would stay a night and go home on Monday. Saturday is not to bad. Thanksgiving cruise prices will be higher than normal.

Belize cave tubing is on my list of things to do someday. I heard Belize has nice beaches with blue clear water but not sure which beach would be a good one. I don't know a lot about Rotan. I thought Rotan would be one to avoid not sure why I thought that but I'm hearing nice thing about it.

I haven't done an eastern or southern-they are on my list though!

I have done the western Caribbean three times, and going to do it for a 4th-

grand cayman-first time-did the submarine, not a semi sub, fantastic

second time, walked up to Don Foster's Dive shop, and snorkeled for free-I love free

Cozumel-tour of the island on the first trip-

second and third trip-spent the day at El Cid, (day pass, within walking distance of Carnival port) and if I was going with beach babies again on the fourth trip I would go back, but we are doing Salsa and Salsa.

Belize-the first time we snorkeled the reef, not too impressed after snorkeling at El Cid

second time, we walked through town to the Museum, town is scary, best customer service at a museum I have ever seen. (oh, I work at an arts center)

Honduras-ship missed mahogany bay on our first trip there, the reason for the that particular trip -but we got to go the second time. the waters in Honduras at Roatan are beautiful.

To fly all that way to go to HMC? you could do an inexpensive Bahamas cruise from Charleston, Jacksonville, and Orlando to get to HMC. you could do that and Disney World for a few days. You could do a B2B, but here is the secret that no one has shared-well they might be while I am typing---

HMC is a beautiful beach -but if the weather is bad, seas are choppy, or a storm is coming in-you wont get there. It's a tender port on a private island. They wont risk your safety trying to move you there. And they don't come back the next day if you miss it. So I wouldn't plan my whole cruise around one beach.

Especially if you are traveling that far-have you thought about Bermuda?

Well if airfare is to much $$ I might have to look at some of the palces you mentioned. Airfare might be cheaper . I want to experience some beautiful beaches and places that I feel safe in too

Airfare is killing this chance for a trip :/ southwest is $553 one way to Miami and there's 3 of us.

Not sure why you are so focused on Southwest; there are several airlines to choose from. I found flights on AA for March 18-26, $539 round trip pp LAX to MIA, nonstop both ways. You could pair this with the 3/19 Carnival Glory sailing to the Eastern Caribbean (HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk).

Not sure why you are so focused on Southwest; there are several airlines to choose from. I found flights on AA for March 18-26, $539 round trip pp LAX to MIA, nonstop both ways. You could pair this with the 3/19 Carnival Glory sailing to the Eastern Caribbean (HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk).

Southwest has free bags and if prices goes down they will price adjust. I also think if I need to cancel I can get credit and not lose my $$. I'll have to checkout the other airlines too. I want to fins the best deal

A couple of things to be aware of. One is spring break. Prices tend to be higher, both for cruises and for hotel rooms. I know that Ft. Lauderdale limits their hotel rooms to 4 people. When we did a cruise out of there for spring break with 3 kids, we had to buy two rooms. Since our flight didn't get in until 2 am or so, we just rented a minivan, parked in the airport garage, and slept until dawn. Had breakfast, shopped, returned the van around 11 am, and caught the free shuttle to the port. It ended up being $40 instead of 2 x $150.

Another thing to consider...would it be a major deal breaker to take the kid(s) out of school for a week? We've done that more than a few times, and most teachers are happy to give them assignments in advance. And we also made the kids take photos, write about their trip, and hand in to the teachers.

I've always maintained that kids can learn more on a 1 week cruise than they ever can in 1 week of school.

DH and I are also West Coast cruisers and use Southwest Airlines, they adjust for price drops and if we cancel we get a credit good for one year. When cruising from the East coast or gulf coast, we fly in a day ahead. I know it adds to expense but worth the piece of mind.

Also, water can be purchased from Carnival's website, I think it's 2.99 a 12 pack, very convenient.

Hi there! I live in Rancho Cucamonga, about 10 minutes away from Ontario airport and am also doing my first Caribbean cruise in March! We're flying out of LAX on American Airlines because they off many nonstop flights to Miami! And it's cheaper than flying out of Ontario, it's always so much more expensive to fly from Ontario. We're doing an Eastern Caribbean on the Glory sailing March 19th. Half moon Cay, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. The perfect itinerary IMO. I also did a Mexican Riviera also this past March.

I would either try American or Southwest from LAX. Southwest offers great fares from LAX. But I looked into southwest when I was looking at flights to Florida for my cruise in March, and I also couldn't see the wanna get away fares, so instead we booked tickets on American for $400pp round trip from LAX

Edited by Alexv500

Southwest doesn't fly into Miami so be prepared for about $70-$100 each way in ground transportation. The same goes for Orlando & Galveston for all airlines. Those airports are not near the seaports.

You can see the Ft Lauderdale sea port from the air port and there are some local airport hotels with free shuttles. This is a good port for Eastern Caribbean or Bahamas.

New Orleans can be a good option with shorter air flights and the sea port is right next to the French Quarter. You could get the Western Caribbean from there, Nice beach in Roatan and cave tubing in Belize or hit Progresso where you can take a long bus trip to Chichen Itza, the grandfather of Mayan ruins. Plus you get a 6 hour River cruise on the Mississippi before you reach the Gulf.

If you choose San Juan you can fly to Orlando one day, stay in the Hyatt inside the terminal and fly on the San Juan the next morning. In San Juan I like the Hilton Ocean View rooms, or the Sheridan across the street from where the ship docks.

A couple of things to be aware of. One is spring break. Prices tend to be higher, both for cruises and for hotel rooms. I know that Ft. Lauderdale limits their hotel rooms to 4 people. When we did a cruise out of there for spring break with 3 kids, we had to buy two rooms. Since our flight didn't get in until 2 am or so, we just rented a minivan, parked in the airport garage, and slept until dawn. Had breakfast, shopped, returned the van around 11 am, and caught the free shuttle to the port. It ended up being $40 instead of 2 x $150.

Another thing to consider...would it be a major deal breaker to take the kid(s) out of school for a week? We've done that more than a few times, and most teachers are happy to give them assignments in advance. And we also made the kids take photos, write about their trip, and hand in to the teachers.

I've always maintained that kids can learn more on a 1 week cruise than they ever can in 1 week of school.

My daughter is in High school and she wont miss any school. She's very into school and won't want to miss . It was easier when she was in K-2 and we would get a packet of work for the week.

Hi there! I live in Rancho Cucamonga, about 10 minutes away from Ontario airport and am also doing my first Caribbean cruise in March! We're flying out of LAX on American Airlines because they off many nonstop flights to Miami! And it's cheaper than flying out of Ontario, it's always so much more expensive to fly from Ontario. We're doing an Eastern Caribbean on the Glory sailing March 19th. Half moon Cay, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. The perfect itinerary IMO. I also did a Mexican Riviera also this past March.

I would either try American or Southwest from LAX. Southwest offers great fares from LAX. But I looked into southwest when I was looking at flights to Florida for my cruise in March, and I also couldn't see the wanna get away fares, so instead we booked tickets on American for $400pp round trip from LAX

$400pp round trip that's a pretty good deal. When I was looking one way per person was $500+ . I'll Keep checking AA and SW. Non stop would be awesome!

The distance is about 9 miles. Taxi is $27 flat rate, I believe.

Thanks for the info :)

any recommendation for an decent inexpensive hotel in Miami by the airport?

Question is the Early Saver Last call past guest Bonus rate the same as regular Early saver? The bonus one doesn't say price protection like the regular Early Saver. I might be ready to buy

Ship Glory out of Miami

Month of March

Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

Planning on arriving a day ahead and departing on the last day of the cruise. What time will ship get back to Miami. trying to figure out what time to get my return airfare

any recommendation for an decent inexpensive hotel in Miami by the airport?

Question is the Early Saver Last call past guest Bonus rate the same as regular Early saver? The bonus one doesn't say price protection like the regular Early Saver. I might be ready to buy

Ship Glory out of Miami

Month of March

Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

Planning on arriving a day ahead and departing on the last day of the cruise. What time will ship get back to Miami. trying to figure out what time to get my return airfare

We're also flying in the day before too! We're staying at the Howard Johnson hotel near the airport got a pretty good deal on it (we booked it today) and it includes a free shuttle (I've heard to the Port of Miami, but I will call tomorrow and see if it's true!) We're doing the exact same itinerary on March 19th sailing. Oh by the way, I saw some outstanding deals on plane tickets to Miami from LAX today! The same flight I have booked already was like $385 this evening PP Roundtrip!! My aunt is also coming along with us, and she got that really good flight for that price!! The ship is due to arrive back in Miami at around 8am, but disembarkation is always hectic so leave some wiggle room just in case! Our flight back home to LA doesn't leave till 2PM so that gives us plenty of time to get off and head straight to the airport. I am super excited, this is my first Caribbean cruise and first time to Florida!! If you have any questions, let me know :)

Edited by Alexv500

We're also flying in the day before too! We're staying at the Howard Johnson hotel near the airport got a pretty good deal on it (we booked it today) and it includes a free shuttle (I've heard to the Port of Miami, but I will call tomorrow and see if it's true!) We're doing the exact same itinerary on March 19th sailing. Oh by the way, I saw some outstanding deals on plane tickets to Miami from LAX today! The same flight I have booked already was like $385 this evening PP Roundtrip!! My aunt is also coming along with us, and she got that really good flight for that price!! The ship is due to arrive back in Miami at around 8am, but disembarkation is always hectic so leave some wiggle room just in case! Our flight back home to LA doesn't leave till 2PM so that gives us plenty of time to get off and head straight to the airport. I am super excited, this is my first Caribbean cruise and first time to Florida!! If you have any questions, let me know :)

Hi Alex. Thanks for the info. I'm excited I so want to hit the book button right now-lol! I need to go over the info with my husband. I'm ready to pack now-lol!

Just an add'l fyi to weigh...

When we cruised out of Miami, we actually flew into Fort Lauderdale because it was quite a bit cheaper. We also stayed overnight in Fort Lauderdale then booked a shuttle (SAS) to take us from hotel to port of Miami for only $15pp.

Just an add'l fyi to weigh...

When we cruised out of Miami, we actually flew into Fort Lauderdale because it was quite a bit cheaper. We also stayed overnight in Fort Lauderdale then booked a shuttle (SAS) to take us from hotel to port of Miami for only $15pp.

---> Another west coaster from Spokane. We will be doing the Carnival Dream Aug 2016 out of NOLA and Caribbean Princess early December 2016 out of Ft Lauderdale. We have in the past taken the kids out of school a week or so before winter break to get the cheaper fare. The cruise or two heading up to the holidays are usually much cheaper. Some times 2x less than the holiday itself. When we did the Princess Dawn, they were just putting up all the Christmas decorations. It was really pretty. We also prefer to use Southwest. Some times they are a bit more, but when you add in paying for luggage fees, they end up being much cheaper and we can still dress up at formal nights.

ps, we always fly in at least a day before. For NOLA, we might do two days prior to sight see.

Edited by familyoutdoors

We're from Long Beach and have done Western out of Ft. Lauderdale, Eastern and Southern out of Miami, and Western out of New Orleans. All beautiful beaches and fun excursions. Did the same Eastern ports you're looking at and loved them.

I totally get the no missing school thing. My girls would never have considered that when they were in high school. We actually waited until our youngest was 21 last year to cruise with them. It was a blast!

We flew on American (we get free checked bags on them) to MIA and FLL twice on the red eye; not too bad but much better to fly in the day before. NOLA we flew on Southwest. All direct flights out of LAX since LGB has no direct flights. I've read that people get cheaper fares to FLL but that hasn't always been the case for us. MIA has been cheaper with more direct flights out of the west coast. If you can get a round trip fare for under $400/person, I'd consider it a good fare.

We're finally doing Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach next year. Looking forward to no airfare or added hotel costs!

Enjoy your cruise!

We're from Long Beach and have done Western out of Ft. Lauderdale, Eastern and Southern out of Miami, and Western out of New Orleans. All beautiful beaches and fun excursions. Did the same Eastern ports you're looking at and loved them.

I totally get the no missing school thing. My girls would never have considered that when they were in high school. We actually waited until our youngest was 21 last year to cruise with them. It was a blast!

We flew on American (we get free checked bags on them) to MIA and FLL twice on the red eye; not too bad but much better to fly in the day before. NOLA we flew on Southwest. All direct flights out of LAX since LGB has no direct flights. I've read that people get cheaper fares to FLL but that hasn't always been the case for us. MIA has been cheaper with more direct flights out of the west coast. If you can get a round trip fare for under $400/person, I'd consider it a good fare.

We're finally doing Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach next year. Looking forward to no airfare or added hotel costs!

Enjoy your cruise!

American seems to have the lowest prices. Almost grabbed 3 roundtrip flight for $998 but I needed to discuss it with hubby and he fell asleep :/ Prices went back up so I'm hoping I'll find another good deal. How do you get free bags...are you a member or rewards member? Please do tell :) I told hubby and my daughter 1-2 suitcase only and you better believe I will try to stuff my carry on bag-lol! Thanks to Alex, I will book Howard Johnson Hotel if we go. Hopefully they have free shuttle to the port and airport.

I just finished counting my change jar......$29 in coins :) We save all of our coins and recycle bottles and all the money goes into our vacation fund for shopping or extra fun stuff. We have about $308 in our vacation account :)

How crowded will eastern cruise beaches be during March19-26 ? Not sure when everyone's spring break is