Just Stingray City

cruzanisfun

The official taxi fare would be US $26 for up to four people, one way. There would be an extra charge for more passengers. Since you have been to Antigua you will know that the taxis are all minivans. Taxi or car rental would be the only options for the stingrays - you have to get from the west coast to the east coast but bear in mind the island is only 10 x 10 miles. You may want to negotiate with a taxi driver to take you there, wait a couple of hours and bring you back or make a stop somewhere else on the way. You would be close to Long Bay and Devil's Bridge, for example.

• 5 months later...

We did the ship excursion to Stingray city with Princess in September 2015. It was $65 per person, and we felt it was a fair price. No need to do any coordination for rides. The operation was smooth and efficient, and the company is set up with plenty of boats to ferry groups out. We didn't wait long at all before we were on a boat out to Stingray City.

Did we like it? Yep - we sure did. I suppose if you have done a similar trip in Caymans or Belize you may not want to do this one, but we loved it. We had a great sunny day. The Rays were abundant and friendly. You can feed them straight from your hand to their mouths. We had several swim right through our legs or even over our backs as we were snorkeling and went down a little under the water. One sucked onto my back for a short while (seeing if I was food I guess). It was weird - but not scary in any way. They are very used to humans. We would have liked to have brought our 8 year old granddaughter (maybe next time). Depending upon temperament, that's about as young as I would recommend for Kids to try this.

There is also a small bit of a shallow reef in the snorkeling area and you can see a few other fish around. That part was not amazing - but certainly ok. We felt it was a well spent morning. Took a little over 3 hours in total. We were probably out at the Docks by the Rays for 45 min to an hour.

Don

• 2 weeks later...