Port of Marseilles excursion help

mrf311

Hello,

I am traveling on the Allure of the Seas in October, and I am looking for help deciding on our shore excursion in Marseilles. I have searched the board prior to posting this thread, but I am unable to get detailed shore excursion information/reviews.

Originally I was hoping to visit Aix-En-Provence and have lunch there, but the only tour through the ship is 4.5 hours and would not give us enough time. I have instead narrowed down my options between the two exursions below:

AVIGNON DISCOVERY:Spend the day Avignon, walking in popes’ footsteps on a guided walking tour of some of Europe’s best-preserved medieval architecture. Tour the staggering Palace of the Popes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. See the dining room, kitchen, courtyards, chapels and chambers with ornate frescoes and tiles. Discover renowned local wines, including Châteauneuf-du-Pape. See the remains of Pont d’Avignon, the famous 12th-century bridge. Plus enjoy free time in Avignon to shop and explore.

LUBERON VILLAGES: DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF PROVENCE: Bring the whole family and discover the natural splendor of Provence on a commentated coach tour including visits to two charming villages and a tour of a lavender factory. Drive through striking solitary woods, rocky countryside and picturesque hilltop villages. At the entrance of a vale dug by the Aiguebrun stream, you’ll find Lourmarin, well known as one of the most beautiful villages in France. Stroll the quaint, cobblestone streets lined with boutiques, plus visit the 16th-century Renaissance Château de Lourmarin, taking time to see the many impressive antiques and objets d’art. Literature buffs may want to visit the town cemetery, where author and philosopher Albert Camus and French author Henri Bosco are buried. Next, behold Rousillon, famous for its magnificent red cliffs and ochre quarries. The red, yellow and brown shades of the earth form a striking contrast with the lush green pine trees. It is like an artist's pallet, with the infinite combinations of colors varying from yellow to purple with all the shades of pink and red in between. Then take a guided tour of a lavender factory, where you’ll see firsthand how this fragrant, flowering plant is transformed into beloved beauty products known the world over.

Any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I don't really have a preference for either tour. I am hoping to do the excursion that allows my family and I to see the most in a short time.

Thank you.

You can save a pile of money if you go to Aix-en-Provence on your own. Our family did this a couple of weeks ago. We took the free shuttle from port into town and then walked to the train station to catch the #50 bus (yes, the bus departs next to the train station), which leaves every 5 minutes, takes about 1/2 hour, and costs 5.2 euro, if I remember correctly. You should have plenty of time (and leftover money) for a very nice lunch.

Both of those tours look fine for those who like tours :). There is no right or wrong and if you limit yourself to only those two options you are choosing between two totally different tours. Avignon is actually a pretty large city (we have rented an apartment there) with all you would expect in a city. The Luberon is a very rural region dotted with small villages. Both are excellent places to visit on a day trip, or for a few months :).

As has been posted, if you want to go to Aix en Provence it is relatively easy (and inexpensive) to go there on your own via either the train or public bus from Marseille. Avignon is also accessible by train from Marseille, although it is a longer distance then going to Aix.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you. I appreciate your responses. I have read conflicting information about the shuttle into Marseille. I have read that the free shuttle does not run on Tuesdays which would mean we have to pay 23 Euro per person for Royal's shuttle into the city. At that price, I figured it was best to book a tour through the ship even though I would prefer going to Aix on our own.

I am leaning more towards the tour of Avignon because it is a city, and I think there would be more to see there. However, Luberon sounds like an interesting place to visit.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from the Allure last week. We did not have anything planned for this port and decided to "wing it". When we got off the ship we walked a little ways and ended up talking to a taxi driver and set up a little tour of our own with him. He ended up taking us to Notre Dame church (really cook) and then to a beautiful lookout over the fishing village of Cassis. We then drove to Cassis where he gave us about 2 hours to shop and eat lunch in Cassis. It is a really charming little town and we really ended up enjoying this impromptu tour. The only thing is that I guess taxi drivers are not really suppose to do "tours" so the driver asked to tell any port personnel (if they asked) where the taxi took us.....if they asked he told us to just tell them that the taxi took us to Notre Dame church. I hope you have a wonderful cruise in the Mediterranean on the Allure! We really enjoyed this itinerary!

• 3 weeks later...