Payment method to take Skytrain

popomama

Hi,

I will have an Alaska Cruise trip(Whitter to Vancouver) next week, and I plan to take the skytrain at the water front station to the Vancouver airport after the cruise.

Does anyone know the Payment method to pay the Skytrain fare? Does the ticket machine accept US credit card?

Thanks.

Hi,

I will have an Alaska Cruise trip(Whitter to Vancouver) next week, and I plan to take the skytrain at the water front station to the Vancouver airport after the cruise.

Does anyone know the Payment method to pay the Skytrain fare? Does the ticket machine accept US credit card?

Thanks.

There are kiosks which accept credit cards. BUT, I've had some problems, (yes, more than once) I ALWAYS travel with several credit cards. Had one recently denied for "suspicious" activity. :) (I know- some people seem to only travel with one card). There also can be foreign transaction fees on some card.

New machines are also rolling out right now as we are finally moving over to the Compass Card system for everyone. New machines will allow reloading of reuseable cards, but still issue tickets for single trips - I don't know the new specs, but it's possible that they might require Chip cards to use since by this point these are the norm for all Canadian cards and even US banks have started to issue them (old machines don't ask for a PIN at all, transactions are small so the risks are deemed tolerable).

For at least several months there will still be old machines on platforms too - if you have trouble, try different card(s) as already wisely mentioned, but also try another machine if there are two different-looking ones.

Worst case, you can use cash - to acquire the necessary CAN$4pp, offer one of the folks begging or doing the 'hold door to induce guilt' routine at the station US$5 for a couple of toonies. They'll be more than happy to find a currency exchange later to change it into Canadian with the current 30%+ differential...

There are kiosks which accept credit cards. BUT, I've had some problems, (yes, more than once) I ALWAYS travel with several credit cards.

last three trips had to go through 3 credit/debit cards each time. capitalone is first to use as no foreign purchase fees but also no purchase.

it also helps to read the instructions on the kiosk