Power outlets in stateroom

bwgreen

Please bear in mind that I have attempted to provide a by and large non-technical description of thyristors, surge protectors and AC wiring. The actual engineering jargon and mathematics would be much more involved. There can actually be a fire hazard from use of some of these appliances aboard a ship. The danger is minimal but it is real.

I hope this simplified explanation is helpful. Everyone go enjoy that next cruise but leave the surge protectors at home.

:):):):)

[/b][/color][/size]

Leave them at home if you want to. That is up to you. I think if there is a hazard the cruise line would know and shoud ban them. But they have not.

As far as your simplified explanation what you leave out is that the fire hazard is that if the ship is wired as you describe, and there is a fault in the ship wiring that might cause a fire when certain kinds of old or low cost Surge Protectors are used. It is the fault in the ship wiring that could cause a fire, if the ship is wired Delta.

Are cruise ships wired Delta instead of Wye like in US homes? That depends on the vessel. Also both Wye and Delta wiring has a ground wire. You state cruise ship wiring does not have a ground wire. Where did you find get that? Please provide a reference. Perhaps you mean they don't have a neutral?

Leave them at home if you want to. That is up to you. I think if there is a hazard the cruise line would know and shoud ban them. But they have not.

As far as your simplified explanation what you leave out is that the fire hazard is that if the ship is wired as you describe, and there is a fault in the ship wiring that might cause a fire when certain kinds of old or low cost Surge Protectors are used. It is the fault in the ship wiring that could cause a fire, if the ship is wired Delta.

Are cruise ships wired Delta instead of Wye like in US homes? That depends on the vessel. Also both Wye and Delta wiring has a ground wire. You state cruise ship wiring does not have a ground wire. Where did you find get that? Please provide a reference. Perhaps you mean they don't have a neutral?

Engineer Officer on Reflection told me that the S ships are wired Wye not delta .

Sad that I asked I suppose but he seemed very pleased to be asked and pointed out that many of the Greek alphabet letters are used in Electrical theory. He was also highly amused when I reminded him that our Queen seems to have a penchant for Greek men and has, allegedly, been sleeping with one for many years.

I didn't see it mentioned here, but suites (CS, RS, and PH) have more than 2 outlets.

I was in a CS on Summit in April, and there were 4 in the dressing area, some in the bedroom, and some in the living room.

Many more than that in M-class PH suites.