HOU & Galveston Travel/Stay Questions (family of 6)

JeremyAmy

Hi everyone,

I know these questions have been asked before but I'm really trying to figure out the best option for our spring break cruise next April. This is the first time we have sailed out of Galveston so it will be new to us. Traveling is me, wife and 4 kids (ages 16, 14, 9 & 6.) We arrive in HOU on Saturday, the day before cruise, around 5:00pm and will be sailing on Liberty of Seas. Our return flight is not until Monday morning at 8:00am following our Sunday return. Questions:

1. Should we stay in HOU near airport and take shuttle/taxi to Port in morning? Or, should we travel to Galveston on Saturday and take taxi to port in morning from hotel there?

2. How much is taxi from HOU airport to Galveston?

3. On return, we have all Sunday to do something. Any suggestions? We are thinking of renting a car (Texas City?) and exploring Galveston (maybe waterpark) and then drive back to HOU airport hotel for night. Not sure how we rent car in Galveston/Texas City to do this. If not, we will probably take taxi/shuttle back to airport hotel and hang there all day, but that sounds a little boring.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Shuttle/taxi from Houston to Galveston is very pricey- especially with 6. My suggestion would be to find a good deal on a 8/9 day rental car big enough for 6. Drive to Galveston area Saturday night. If you find a hotel that does park and cruise, you can then leave the rental car there. Take the hotel shuttle to the ship/ back from ship and then do your exploring and stay near Airport Sunday night. I know it sounds crazy to rent for the whole time, but there really aren't any one way rentals to/from Galveston.

Edited by Kcruiser2014

We did the Carnival Magic out of Galveston about 4 years ago...same as you there were 6 of us...we flew into Hobby booked Super Shuttle to Galveston...it was 80$ one way. We stayed at San Luis resort for 2 days. It was nice....we were able to hang out at the Pier...the hotel had a complementary shuttle....the day of the cruise we took a taxi to the pier....it was about 15$....the San Luis resort is on the seawall side, so it was a short ride to get to the port side...after the cruise, we took a Super Shuttle back to Hobby airport. Hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I also would first price a rental car from Hobby for the full Saturday to Monday. If you get a decent deal on the full length rental, then you can pile into your rental car, and drive to Galveston hotel with parking package (many hotels offer these packages and often seem to be good deals). You could even enjoy a morning drive around Galveston dropping five plus luggage at the port so only one needs a shuttle from hotel to port...or all six can take the shuttle to port of you wish. Same upon return...while family has leisurely breakfast, the designated driver can take shuttle to hotel to reclaim car, then rerun to port to collect the rest of the gang (and bags) to continue your Sunday fun. Stay in Galveston or Hobby or part way between (NASA?).

If the long rental is cost prohibitive,then work through your other options.

If u rent a car this would give you the most flexibility. Hotels are pricey in Galveston. If cost is a factor check hotels near Hobby. I would definitely stay close to the airport Sunday night. Traffic in Houston is bad even at 6 AM. Enjoy the beach till later in the evening or you will crawl back to Houston Sunday. Galveston is fun but by the time you get there Saturday night your day will about be done. Hobby hotels are only 45 minutes from the pier.