A few questions - help appreciated :)

Vicav

We are just back from a fab cruise with RC and are now looking at booking with Carnival for August 2016. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children (14, 10 & 5 at time to travel) so we are looking at booking the Family Harbour Suite with balcony for an 8 night cruise around Europe. With flights from Manchester, UK the total price was £5567. Does this seem right or should I hold out for offers?

I also had a few other questions if anyone can help please?

Drinks Packages - Do Carnival do any offers with these included or do I have to pay extra at time of booking? We're not big drinkers so it wouldn't be worth it if we have to pay. I'm more thinking of drinks for the kids really.

Onboard credit - Do Carnival do this as I haven't seen any offers of this from any travel agents with this included?

Gratuities - Does anyone ever cancel these and would it make us look very bad and affect the level of service we receive onboard? I always tip well at the end of a cruise, but at $12 per day for a family of 5 this adds up to almost $500 for the cruise and would take us well over our holiday budget. I don't want to sound mean and we always tip well, but I just feel that $500 is a lot for our family.

Teen clubs - I have seen a lot of information about kids clubs for our younger children but I was wondering if there was anything for our 14 year old? RC had a great club for 11-17 year old's that my eldest son really enjoyed this year and I was hoping for something similar.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

We are just back from a fab cruise with RC and are now looking at booking with Carnival for August 2016. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children (14, 10 & 5 at time to travel) so we are looking at booking the Family Harbour Suite with balcony for an 8 night cruise around Europe. With flights from Manchester, UK the total price was £5567. Does this seem right or should I hold out for offers?

If you see a lower price between when you book and 90 days out from cruising, just call and you will receive the lower price. If you book early saver, you are guaranteed the lower price.

Drinks Packages - Do Carnival do any offers with these included or do I have to pay extra at time of booking? We're not big drinkers so it wouldn't be worth it if we have to pay. I'm more thinking of drinks for the kids really.

They do have alcoholic beverage packages, but if you are not big drinkers, it probably would not be worth it. Here is a link to information about the "Cheers" program (alcohol) and the "Bottomless Bubbles" program (soda, juice, etc.) http://www.shipcruise.org/carnival-cruise-drink-packages/

Onboard credit - Do Carnival do this as I haven't seen any offers of this from any travel agents with this included?

Carnival offers on board credit off an on when they do special sales. Again, if you see a better offer you can always call and have it applied.

Gratuities - Does anyone ever cancel these and would it make us look very bad and affect the level of service we receive onboard? I always tip well at the end of a cruise, but at $12 per day for a family of 5 this adds up to almost $500 for the cruise and would take us well over our holiday budget. I don't want to sound mean and we always tip well, but I just feel that $500 is a lot for our family.

I have never removed the tips, but I understand what you mean as I too have traveled with the whole family - it is a big chunk of change!

Teen clubs - I have seen a lot of information about kids clubs for our younger children but I was wondering if there was anything for our 14 year old? RC had a great club for 11-17 year old's that my eldest son really enjoyed this year and I was hoping for something similar.

There are teen clubs/events for that age range as well as the younger kids.

One more tip - check the deck plans and make sure the cabin you choose is not under a public space! Happy sailing!

My two cents.

Each person over 21 in the cabin would have to purchase the Cheers package. With such a port intensive itinerary I don't think for a moderate drinker the package is a good value.

I don't know about the UK site or travel agents but booking on the US site there can sometimes be specials offering OBC. It is never much though, maybe $100.

If you tip less than the $12 per day then each person who should be receiving some of this money is shortchanged. They will not know until after the cruise that they did not receive the full amount and will not know why. If your service is good then please don't punish the hardworking crew. Save a bit more, buy one less coffee a week or something.We are 4 on a 10 day cruise so our gratuities come to $480 and it's part of my budget.

There is Circle C for the 12-14 age group. There will be activities like dances, video games and other things.

Edited by trvlgirlmq

One more tip - check the deck plans and make sure the cabin you choose is not under a public space! Happy sailing!

The OP mentioned a FH Suite. These are all located under the galley. While not a public space, there have been noise complaints at all hours from those staying in Coves on the Dream class ships, which are in the same location as the FH Suites on the Vista. Until the Vista actually launches, there's really no way to tell if the problem continues or if additional soundproofing has been added. Food for thought

Great thread as you are doing the same as us. ...We just off RC...loved it but fancy a change. We family of 4. I used to work gor Carnival 20yrs ago. (Youth director ) and know they have a great teen program. Called Circle C ....unless it changed. We too need to fly Manchester. . they 8 day they offer flights but not the 12 day which I find strange. I want to do a package including flights transfers etc .....booking our own flights will add up. Good luck and hope you enjoy if you do decide. Looks a great ship.

Great thread as you are doing the same as us. ...We just off RC...loved it but fancy a change. We family of 4. I used to work gor Carnival 20yrs ago. (Youth director ) and know they have a great teen program. Called Circle C ....unless it changed. We too need to fly Manchester. . they 8 day they offer flights but not the 12 day which I find strange. I want to do a package including flights transfers etc .....booking our own flights will add up. Good luck and hope you enjoy if you do decide. Looks a great ship.

I've just booked! :D

The best price I got was from Ramsay World Travel. They were £400+ cheaper than booking direct with Carnival and include flights and transfers. Which cruise did you do with RC? We got off Rhapsody on Sunday, lol.

Wow. . £400 cheaper. ..going to investigate. Thanks. We went on the Allure...was amazing. Vista similar ports but we didn't get off in every port do will swap things round this time....if we get booked. Top tip... We did alot of DIY stuff in the ports...saved money. Enjoy

• 5 weeks later...