NEWBIE family of 5 cruiser...liberty of seas spring break 2016...lots of questions.

I've never been on a cruise before at all. thus the NEWBIE CRUISER in my title. :O) I have ZERO idea. Thanks.

Sorry OP, I was actually responding to the post directly above mine but somehow I dropped the quote. Planning and looking forward to your first cruise is exciting - and a little overwhelming - isn't it? :D

thanks all so much!!:) I put my down payment.

It is expensive at $3700. The week after is $3k so it's about $700 more. Yikes. The week before is $800 more though so there you go. Made me feel a little better. Ha ha.

I am nervous and excited. Will be reading up....

THANK YOU all for the great tips!

Trish

Edited by TnTWalter

It is expensive at $3700. The week after is $3k so it's about $700 more. Yikes. The week before is $800 more though so there you go. Made me feel a little better. Ha ha.

Trish

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127160&highlight=liberty

This may be of some interest - it's my review of the Liberty from last fall. One thing I always like to mention though is that the cruise product in general can morph pretty fast and the experience on any given ship in particular may vary widely from any review you read, buy the time you finally sail. Don't get your heart set on duplicating any specific experience you may read about in anybody's review.

We sailed a very similar itinerary on the Mariner of the Seas a while ago, so if you have any port-specific questions, please ask. The "Ports of Call" boards are also really good for up-to-date advice. And once you're booked, it's a common practise for many to re-check prices frequently; if the rates drop (which they almost always do from time to time) you will be entitled to the lower rate or OBC (if before final payment) or any applicable category upgrades (if after final payment). We ended up in a Superior Balcony for the price of an inside Promenade cabin that way. Good luck!

Edited by ronandannette

If you are using any of the cruise excursions, do it online and this way it is paid for ahead of time. You can also prepay tips ahead of time. I feel that anything I pay for ahead of time takes away from the sticker shock of my final bill. I hoped you shopped around to find a TA that would give you perks. I had a cruise once where my tips were paid and I received $100 onboard credit and reimbursement for my prehotel up to $100.00 $23 is not much for obc. If you only drink 1-2 drinks a day then package won't be for you. Someone once listed the break even point and I think it was 5 drinks. Liberty is a wonderful ship and you will enjoy the experience. I also bring a lot of one dollar bills to use for tips, taxis etc. You can also bring soda and water aboard ship with you. Try to check in as much luggage as you can. I see far too many people lugging around carry ons until the cabins are ready (about 1-1:30) Usually we have 1 small backpack to carry cameras, money, passports, and meds. We always wear bathing suits under our clothes so we can hit the pool or sun deck right away. Explore the ship before it gets crowded. Join your roll call and read reviews. You will love your cruise. Enjoy

Trish

Dear Trish,

Hello! Let me give you some perspective from someone who has been in your shoes

First of all, like many others said, shop around. I know you have put your down payment, but I don't know if you did it directly with RCCL. If so, immediately move your reservation to a TA.

I just put in your dates and your ship into the website of my favorite TA (a nationwide wholesaler club based in Seattle) and for the two cabins it came to about $220 of OBC

AS others have said, you may have other TAs who may do prepaid gratuities, which in your case would be a better deal (about $453 is the gratuities due by the 5 of you)

IN regards to Soda/Pop, if you kids even drink 2 cans a day, it is worth getting it. For your three kids, it works out to $325 and that will free them to have soda pop anywhere they want (pool, teen club, dinner, all around the ship). While it is true that RCCL broadly turns a blind eye to you bringing soda onboard, the limitation is that it is always in your room and if you are in the teen club or at dinner or at the pool, it is not convenient to always trudge back to the room

When it comes to alcohol, if you guys are wine drinkers, as long as you guys book one adult per room, as others have said above, you can get 4 bottles of wine. So that will help you during dinner as RCCL has NO CORKAGE FEE! If you drink beer, you can get beer by the glass or beer by the "bucket" which saves you a little bit of money. Beer can cost about $6 per glass, so if each of you drinks about 3 beers a day, you are looking at about $36/day. Keep in mind that on port days, you can buy beer cheaper at the port restaurants/bars

In regards to eating, the MDR and Windjammer as well as the multiple other free dining choices are GREAT!! if you want to splurge, just the 2 of you adults can do a Specialty Dining but I will tell you that in most cases, the kids will appreciate the MDR more than the "stuffy" Specialty Dining venues (again it is all about their perspective)

Now, if you did bring the four bottles of wine (mentioned above), that means that as long as you two grownups are splitting a bottle of wine with dinner, you would only have to buy 3 bottles of wine for the remaining three nights. There are decent bottles available for $35/bottle, so add $100 for those three bottles

When it comes to excursions, don't do anything at Falmouth but hang out in the Duty Free port area and Margaritaville. In Cozumel, take a cab to any of the great beaches or since there are 5 of you, rent a car. Avis does $50/day car rentals (all taxes included) and this way you can go to one of the free beaches and make it a great day. Just stop at a grocery store to pick up snacks/beer or buy them at the beach (fairly reasonable)

I have never been to GC, so I can't give you any advice there

If you need an internet package, it will cost about $129 for 2 devices for unlimited internet. This is always subject to some price revisions. The five of you can share this package as and how you need it. Just log off one device and you can now login with another device. This will help your kids keep their hyper important social networking going, because as we all know, if they were to ever go offline for more than an hour, the Time Space continuum will collapse and destroy the Universe

So, there you go!! That is your budget for an absolutely fabulous vacation, where you don't have to nickel and dime

In summary

Room Rate: $3700

Gratuity: $453

Soda Package: 325

3 bottles of wine: $100

24 beers: $150

Internet Package: $125

TOTAL: $4850 (some minor rounding up/down done)

Now, get the best "credit" that you can get from a TA (like OBC or Prepaid Gratuities) and SUBTRACT that from the total above

Use the money saved for the port days!!

So, a wonderful, no hassle, no nickel and dime Spring Break vacation for the kids and hubby and wife in one of the best ships for under $5000!!

Less than $1000 per person for everyone to eat, drink, play, swim, browse, have fun!!

Or another way to look at it, less than $150/per person/per day for unlimited fun!!

Memories are forever and time is a ONE WAY STREET! Money can be earned again. Spend wisely and spend within your means... but once you have set a realistic budget, don't worry about the small details

Hope that helps!!

God Bless!

Edited by panjabi

Dear Trish,

Hello! Let me give you some perspective from someone who has been in your shoes

First of all, like many others said, shop around. I know you have put your down payment, but I don't know if you did it directly with RCCL. If so, immediately move your reservation to a TA.

I just put in your dates and your ship into the website of my favorite TA (a nationwide wholesaler club based in Seattle) and for the two cabins it came to about $220 of OBC

AS others have said, you may have other TAs who may do prepaid gratuities, which in your case would be a better deal (about $453 is the gratuities due by the 5 of you)

IN regards to Soda/Pop, if you kids even drink 2 cans a day, it is worth getting it. For your three kids, it works out to $325 and that will free them to have soda pop anywhere they want (pool, teen club, dinner, all around the ship). While it is true that RCCL broadly turns a blind eye to you bringing soda onboard, the limitation is that it is always in your room and if you are in the teen club or at dinner or at the pool, it is not convenient to always trudge back to the room

When it comes to alcohol, if you guys are wine drinkers, as long as you guys book one adult per room, as others have said above, you can get 4 bottles of wine. So that will help you during dinner as RCCL has NO CORKAGE FEE! If you drink beer, you can get beer by the glass or beer by the "bucket" which saves you a little bit of money. Beer can cost about $6 per glass, so if each of you drinks about 3 beers a day, you are looking at about $36/day. Keep in mind that on port days, you can buy beer cheaper at the port restaurants/bars

In regards to eating, the MDR and Windjammer as well as the multiple other free dining choices are GREAT!! if you want to splurge, just the 2 of you adults can do a Specialty Dining but I will tell you that in most cases, the kids will appreciate the MDR more than the "stuffy" Specialty Dining venues (again it is all about their perspective)

Now, if you did bring the four bottles of wine (mentioned above), that means that as long as you two grownups are splitting a bottle of wine with dinner, you would only have to buy 3 bottles of wine for the remaining three nights. There are decent bottles available for $35/bottle, so add $100 for those three bottles

When it comes to excursions, don't do anything at Falmouth but hang out in the Duty Free port area and Margaritaville. In Cozumel, take a cab to any of the great beaches or since there are 5 of you, rent a car. Avis does $50/day car rentals (all taxes included) and this way you can go to one of the free beaches and make it a great day. Just stop at a grocery store to pick up snacks/beer or buy them at the beach (fairly reasonable)

I have never been to GC, so I can't give you any advice there

If you need an internet package, it will cost about $129 for 2 devices for unlimited internet. This is always subject to some price revisions. The five of you can share this package as and how you need it. Just log off one device and you can now login with another device. This will help your kids keep their hyper important social networking going, because as we all know, if they were to ever go offline for more than an hour, the Time Space continuum will collapse and destroy the Universe

So, there you go!! That is your budget for an absolutely fabulous vacation, where you don't have to nickel and dime

In summary

Soda Package: 325

TOTAL: $4850 (some minor rounding up/down done)

Now, get the best "credit" that you can get from a TA (like OBC or Prepaid Gratuities) and SUBTRACT that from the total above

So, a wonderful, no hassle, no nickel and dime Spring Break vacation for the kids and hubby and wife in one of the best ships for under $5000!!

Less than $1000 per person for everyone to eat, drink, play, swim, browse, have fun!!

Or another way to look at it, less than $150/per person/per day for unlimited fun!!

Memories are forever and time is a ONE WAY STREET! Money can be earned again. Spend wisely and spend within your means... but once you have set a realistic budget, don't worry about the small details

Hope that helps!!

God Bless!

Not sure where you're getting the soda price, but at most for the 3 kids is $130 total. For kids I think at most it's $6 a day. So $6 × 7days = $42 per kid x 3 kids = $126. Right? Some one will correct me if I'm wrong. So there a couple hundred in savings 😁

... For kids I think at most it's $6 a day. So $6 × 7days = $42 per kid x 3 kids = $126. Right? Some one will correct me if I'm wrong ...

You're correct, even over estimating, The kids soda package is $5.50 per day including gratuity.

Not sure where you're getting the soda price, but at most for the 3 kids is $130 total. For kids I think at most it's $6 a day. So $6 × 7days = $42 per kid x 3 kids = $126. Right? Some one will correct me if I'm wrong. So there a couple hundred in savings 😁

You're correct, even over estimating, The kids soda package is $5.50 per day including gratuity.

Oops!! Both of you are correct. My fat fingers have once again run amok!

Here is the revised part of the post, starting from the SUMMARY

-----------------------------------

In summary

Soda Package: 115

TOTAL: $4650 (some minor rounding up/down done)

Or another way to look at it, less than $140/per person/per day for unlimited fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

great tips.

i'm having a hard time finding a TA to transfer the reservation such a bummer you can't post recommendations.

I have joined the meet and greet and have obsessively been on the port forums. I plan on doing something in each port...we are explorers. So I'm planning $250-$400 each port day. Yikes. Only 1 kid drinks soda.

$5k is ALOT of money as we typically spend about $3k doing pretty nice vacations so I'm nervous. But it should be fun.

I have 1 adult on each room and I was just asking if I should change that but sounds like no...I am the wino in the family [lol] but hubby will have a glass or two with me a few nights so we'll like the 4 bottle rule. We'll also see what the drink special is each day in case we like it.

Oh I thought I've read that you cannot bring bottled water on board. Is this true or not? Conflicting information. And is it necessary? Is the ship water bad? We are tap water people [hate using all that plastic.]

Thanks for the other tips. Helpful!!

Trish

Edited by TnTWalter

The tap water is fine! You can also get water at the bar (by the pool), in the Windjammer, and at the pizza and snack place in the promenade.(sorry can't remember the name)

In the Windjammer they have unsweetened tea, lemonade, and flavored waters so there are other free options.

Tenering in GC is prioritized to ship excursions first. Our last trip however, we arrived a bit early and they had two tenders go with "normal folks". 8:30 *should* be OK as long as you watch for when to get tender tickets (day before I think) and be there early AND the company understands it may run late.

You can easily do a tour and be dropped on 7 mile beach for a few hours. Taxis are easy to get back at any hotel and cost about $5 US per person. Some prefer your not soaked though :)

Read the port of call board for more info.

We have also spent "excursions" on the ship. Less of a line on the flowrider makes for a great time! Add a Johnny Rockets w/ a view

great tips.

i'm having a hard time finding a TA to transfer the reservation such a bummer you can't post recommendations.

I have joined the meet and greet and have obsessively been on the port forums. I plan on doing something in each port...we are explorers. So I'm planning $250-$400 each port day. Yikes. Only 1 kid drinks soda.

$5k is ALOT of money as we typically spend about $3k doing pretty nice vacations so I'm nervous. But it should be fun.

I have 1 adult on each room and I was just asking if I should change that but sounds like no...I am the wino in the family [lol] but hubby will have a glass or two with me a few nights so we'll like the 4 bottle rule. We'll also see what the drink special is each day in case we like it.

Oh I thought I've read that you cannot bring bottled water on board. Is this true or not? Conflicting information. And is it necessary? Is the ship water bad? We are tap water people [hate using all that plastic.]

Thanks for the other tips. Helpful!!

Trish

In regards to a TA, you can always go for the Warehouse company from Seattle, whose name rhymes with MostCo (assuming you are a member)

In regards to water, take a 35 pack case of water from MostCo (cost $4) and put it in a zippable canvas bag and put a luggage tag on it and do NOT lock it. 99% it makes it to your cabin. If it does not, you are out $4

You don't have to spend $250-$400 per port. Here is what we spent in Cozumel (as a reference point)

$50 (inclusive of taxes) on Avis rental car

$7 on gas (when we returned it)

$0 on beach entrance fees at Playa Palancar

$70 on beach food and beer (and trust me we ate a lot of food and drank a lot of beer)

$0 on sightseeing (as we had our rental car we drove all across the island)

$20 for two T-Shirts that said "Cozumel". Seemed a good idea at that time to buy them, to prove to everyone that we actually did visit Cozumel

Total: $147 ... and trust me.. it was not like we chintzed out of anything... we ate and drank to our hearts content

On a previous visit we did do the Dolphin thingy bob at Chakanab for about $200 for my wife and 2 kids... but that is something you only do once

Spring break is going to up the price (as you said, the difference between week before and after). We are gonig in April to avoid cruise and air fare prices, but do understand not everyone wants to pull kids out of school.

Not sure if you need air fare or can drive to the port.

There are ways to keep the cost down....stick to complimentary dining (and these days, there are so many choices), skip excursions (do research and do your own thing or private), skip spa, etc. Drink package...you can see what makes most sense or do as others suggested and bring your own.

As for TA, I'm not sure..guess you can shop around. We booked directly with Royal as we didn't want a third party involved (and at the time, they have OBC).

Either way, you'll have an amazing vacation. Cruising is a great way to travel as you can do everything or nothing. Are your kids young or teenagers? Royal apparently has a great kids club (different ages).

Enjoy!

PS - Compare the same week on a Disney cruise and you'll feel better about your cost

Edited by LuCruise

Trish,

Even if you don't get your reservation transferred to a TA, keep an eye on these boards, your roll call and Royal's site to take advantage of any price drops that occur between now and your final payment. We were able to get our total price (for 7 people) down over $1700 last Spring Break and also ended up getting $400 in OBC that wasn't there when we first booked.

You're already a step ahead by using CC to plan! :) It's fantastic for newbies!

Forgive me if it was mentioned and I didn't see it, but if your departure port is Miami or Fort Lauderdale in late February-March, be prepared for University Spring breakers on board with you and the associated craziness all that entails. Although I'd expect there would be less on a 7 day due to costs.

Thanks everyone. Great tips.

RCCL is much cheaper than NORWEGIAN, CELEBRITY AND DISNEY. It was slightly more than Carnival.

We are sticking with direct with RCCL. I emailed them to link the 2 reservations but haven't heard back yet. I should call I suppose.

The cruise leaves from Galveston which is about a 16 hour drive from our home. So we'll save money that way.

Thanks again.

Trish

Several years ago in Grand Cayman our family went out to stingray city with Captain Crosby there was only 9 of us it was an awesome day! Check on tripadvisor and see whether he's still in business.

Remember when they say a time you are in port from 7 to 4 you have to be on board a half hour before.

We started cruising when my 3 kids were in their late teens they all fell in love with it, we never buy extra drinks and as we don't drink alcohol we can keep our expenses down to just the cost of our excursions usually booked off the ship and a splurge of a couple of family pictures as I no longer do yearly Christmas pics. On the big ships there is enough free stuff to keep busy without additional charges.

We are budget traveller's but almost always do everything we want we are soon taking the kids on their 8th cruise to the Greek isles!

Thanks everyone. Great tips.

RCCL is much cheaper than NORWEGIAN, CELEBRITY AND DISNEY. It was slightly more than Carnival.

We are sticking with direct with RCCL. I emailed them to link the 2 reservations but haven't heard back yet. I should call I suppose.

The cruise leaves from Galveston which is about a 16 hour drive from our home. So we'll save money that way.

Thanks again.

Trish

Try giving them a call. I've always had great customer support.

You won't regret your decision. Royal is great.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a courtesy hold on connecting inside rooms Liberty of the Sea [we are family of 5].

My goal was to be as close to $3k as possible for the cruise part; it's around $3700. This includes only $26 in ship board credit.

We like to drink on vacation probably 1-2 drinks in the evening. We are bringing 3 kids 17 15 13. 1 likes soda the other 2 mostly drink water but might want fake foo foo drinks on occasion. I don't want to be nickle and dimed to death. My fear is it will end up outrageous or we will always be saying no to things. etc.

So how much should I plan on spending on 7 night cruise? on ship. [obviously I need to take tips into account].

What about excursions? we have 3 ports. Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'm just trying to decide if this is going to be too expensive for one week.

Any tips to make it less expensive? how to get onboard credit? prepaid tips etc. Thanks.

Trish

I haven't looked at prices for March, but we are booked on Liberty at the end of May and have 5 people. We are paying less than $3500 and that includes all our port charges and gratuities and insurance from an outside company. We are booked in a family promenade room. Have you looked into that type of room? Also when we booked we got $100 OBC and have the visa card that I will have around $300 more OBC by the time we cruise. You get $ for OBC for just signing up for the card.

• 4 weeks later...

We started cruising with our 2 dds when they were 11 and 6, (they are now 23 and 17), and we have taken an RCCL spring break cruise out of Galveston on almost an identical itinerary. Here's what I have to add to the already excellent advice you've received.

1) Have each kid pack a sports bottle. That way they can fill it up with the free water, lemonade, iced tea, or Arnold Palmers (1/2 lemonade 1/2 iced tea) to have by the pool or wherever. I also take a ziploc bag filled with the individual serving packets of Crystal Light or similar drink mixes so they can have something else if they want it. Neither of our girls are big soda drinkers, and we told them ahead of time that on the ship they could drink what was free. On formal nights we let them order a soda or Shirley Temple with dinner, so all told we paid under $30 extra the whole trip for drinks for them. It costs us more now that the oldest one can drink wine with us. ;-)

2) If you use up the wine that you brought on board before the end of the cruise, and you order a bottle in the MDR you don't have to finish it in one sitting. They will recork it and hold it with your name and stateroom # for your next meal. We ended up using the wine we brought in our stateroom--when we got back at the end of the day, we'd have a glass out on our balcony, along with the free appetizers we ordered from room service. That kept us going til the 8:30 dinner seating. Your steward will bring you wine glasses if you ask. I carry a tiny bottle of dish soap, so we asked for them the first night then just washed them ourselves and stowed them in one of the cabinets. That way we didn't have to keep asking or track down the steward to get more.

3) FYI-the Galveston based cruises will have mainly Texans onboard, and Texas public schools have spring break in March. So the ship will probably be at max capacity. That means all the rooms with 3rd and 4th bunks will be full, so expect things to be very crowded, especially at peak times. In our case there were so many younger children on board that Adventure Ocean overflowed into the teen club, so the teen activities were scheduled elsewhere in random places around the ship. So be aware of that if your teens were planning on using the club or taking part in any of those scheduled activities.

4) Again, since it will be during spring break I would avoid any beach club that offers a day rate that includes unlimited food and alcohol. We spent the day at one on Cozumel and were surrounded on the beach by extremely drunk college students from a different cruise line on their spring break, who alternated between cursing, throwing up and falling down into my kids' sandcastle. Not exactly what we had in mind! :eek: We ended up leaving early. So if you stick to public beaches or hotel ones where people have to pay per drink, you'll probably be much better off. ;)

Hope this helps. Whatever you all do, you and your family will have a blast! It's a great way to travel. :)

I was able to book a family panoramic yesterday The rep I spoke with at RCCL called it a FO but when he told me the deck and cabin number, I was happy! I posted on here because I didn't know anything about it but no one replied so I researched and got excited. [if you're curios about that thread it's under my username]

Giving up an extra shower and privacy but saved over $500 from the 2 interior rooms I had booked back in July. I'll be sure to pack ginger and bonine as I am prone to motion sickness but kids will dig it.

So now I'm just above $3k at $3104! Woo Hoo.

Texas spring breaks seem to fall more in March. We are going first week of April. I do anticipate crowds but not from texas kiddies at least. Really counting on teen stuff for my kids.

We were debating Mexico for a week or even back to the florida keys but this price drop and all the additional slides makes me vote for the cruise!

Still trying to find a travel agent to switch to for OBC. That would be icing on the cake!

Thanks. Trish