Viking Star -2nd breakdown!

avonglen

"The engine burned out again on our trip, we got in to Lisbon 3 hours late. The ship slowed down greatly as we crossed the Bay of Biscay during the Beatles concert. I told everyone something was wrong with the 2nd engine as we were no longer trailing 2 rooster tails, only one. People laughed at me but sure enough, the next morning, we got the announcements of maintenance issues and 3 hours late in to Lisbon, this time was not given back either, we just lost the 3 hours"

Have just been reading the Reviews of Viking Star on CC & found the above entry posted on 27 August regarding the 15 day Bergen to Barcelona cruise which actually started in Copenhagen as a consequence of the Tallinn breakdown delays.

As this is the only reference to a second breakdown I can find on CC, can anyone confirm or add to the scenario mentioned above?:confused:

I read that too. Clearly "the engine burned out" is hyperbolic. Shutting down one engine contributing to a three hour delay is a far cry from the previous incident.

Later in the review:

When we docked at Barcelona, the shipyard had a large group of technicians there waiting with what appeared to be 3 LARGE engines and crates of equipment that were being craned on to the ship, no doubt a replacement engine transformer and what appeared to be two back up units to keep on board

With the implication that this was related to the "second incident". The logistics to stage, assemble, and deploy the type of equipment listed and the people need to install it in the time between Lisbon and Barcelona ports is simply not possible. (And if were, it would be an amazing feat and very much to Viking's credit.)

I wasn't there of course, but sounds like Barcelona was planned well in advance and was likely the final fix for the original root problem. That would mean that the Star sailed from Copenhagen to Barcelona with a repair or interim solution rather full restoration. Slightly concerning, but apart from this 'glitch' (which seems more accurate than 'engine burnout') it worked.

I read that too. Clearly "the engine burned out" is hyperbolic. Shutting down one engine contributing to a three hour delay is a far cry from the previous incident.

Later in the review:

When we docked at Barcelona, the shipyard had a large group of technicians there waiting with what appeared to be 3 LARGE engines and crates of equipment that were being craned on to the ship, no doubt a replacement engine transformer and what appeared to be two back up units to keep on board

With the implication that this was related to the "second incident". The logistics to stage, assemble, and deploy the type of equipment listed and the people need to install it in the time between Lisbon and Barcelona ports is simply not possible. (And if were, it would be an amazing feat and very much to Viking's credit.)

I wasn't there of course, but sounds like Barcelona was planned well in advance and was likely the final fix for the original root problem. That would mean that the Star sailed from Copenhagen to Barcelona with a repair or interim solution rather full restoration. Slightly concerning, but apart from this 'glitch' (which seems more accurate than 'engine burnout') it worked.

Thanks for the explanation - seems entirely logical for all the necessary parts to be sent to Barcelona. The scheduled three days in Barcelona would allow completion of the repair work without any interruption to the itinerary.

We are just off Star on the ill-fated Bergen/Copenhagen to Barcelona segment. I suspected all along that the ship was not completely fixed. If the ship was capable of full speed, why did it get only as far as Copenhage? Why did we dock at LeHavre rather than sailing down the Seine to Rouen? Why were we 3 hours late into Lisbon? My suspicions were confirmed when I noticed there was only one propeller wake behind the ship! I even took a picture of it. Sailing on one engine is not all that uncommon and was certainly better than cancelling the cruise, but I guess my beef was being kept in the dark about it by the ship's officers. I even asked the cruise director (the only officer I could find) if all engines were operating and he assured me they were. When I asked about the single propeller wake, he was obviously flustered and said "he would find out." If he did, he didn't tell me. The ship's captain explained the delay into Lisbon as "maintenance". Yea, sure. As a retired airline pilot, I am more than familiar with mechanical problems that lead to delays and inconvenience, but I found out early in my career that being forthcoming, truthful and candid with the passengers was by far the best way to go. I wish Viking officers had felt that way, too. I sincerely hope the engines are finally fixed by the Barcelona installations and subsequent trips are uneventful on this beautiful ship.

• 3 weeks later...
Well at least it's a beautiful ship. We leave in a few days🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

We are sailing on Viking Star from Barcelona to Venice starting October 27. Are there any floridians or New Jersey saing then? We hope there will not be any more engine break downs

We are sailing on the Mediterranean Explorer cruise in January. We did one of the Viking Rhine river cruises in April 2015 and loved it so we thought we would give the ocean cruises a try. After reading about some of the problems people have been experiencing on the Viking Star, I'm getting a bit concerned. I hope all of the engine mishaps are fixed by then.

Anyone else out there going on this cruise?