Rainforest Sunctuary Ketchikan

yamatonadeshiko

I would like to know if I have to pay for a tour for entering this area because it seems like the Rainforest Sanctuary is private property, isn't it? I searched every forum and was able to read the posts of people who bought a tour. My main purpose to go there is to see bears. I don't need any guides because I am not an English speaker. So far I found out that the taxi will take us to Herring Cove, which is where the Rainforest Sanctuary is located, at $75 for a round trip. I have no idea if we can enter without paying for a tour after that.

We have visited the sanctuary twice, most recently in July 2015. Each time we did this as a shore excursion thru the ship. It doesn't seem as though they let you wander around the bear area without a tour group. There is a series of platforms and hanging bridges as well as walking paths they guide you on depending on where the bears are and where the other groups are. They separate tourists into small groups - our last group was maybe 10. We had to turn in any food items, sanitizer, etc - anything that might smell and attract the bears before starting the walk. Got our stuff back upon return. Portapotties are available right before starting out, and rain ponchos were provided. The guide also carries bear repellent. The first time thru 3 years ago we saw about a dozen bears; this time maybe 6 - 8, in the river, sitting on trees eating salmon, cubs climbing trees etc. Groups also zipline above here, and after the walk you see samples of trees in Alaska, someone carving a totem pole, a few birds of prey and a gift shop. On our first visit we had 2 guides in our group - one at the front and one at the back. A member of our group freaked out and was given the option of walking back to the start with one of the guides or remaining with the group - walking back to the start by themselves was not an option.

Hope this helps.

I would like to know if I have to pay for a tour for entering this area because it seems like the Rainforest Sanctuary is private property, isn't it? I searched every forum and was able to read the posts of people who bought a tour. My main purpose to go there is to see bears. I don't need any guides because I am not an English speaker. So far I found out that the taxi will take us to Herring Cove, which is where the Rainforest Sanctuary is located, at $75 for a round trip. I have no idea if we can enter without paying for a tour after that.

This is private property and you DO have to pay the admission to enter. They do pick ups downtown, but no matter how you get there- it is going to cost you $199 to enter.

We booked a private tour with Wild Wolf Tours, and she took us to a small spot of public land across the stream from the boardwalk of the rainforest trail etc. We weren't as close to the salmon hatchery (and hence, the bears) as the rainforest tour, but we got some decent pictures nonetheless.