DR Question They changed our itinerary!

Robin G

Hopefully I'm in the correct thread.

Our 2/06 cruise just changed itineraries -- they've dropped Grenada and St. Kitts and we'll now be in the DR for 3 days, 2 at Casa de Campo and 1 at Catalina Island.

We're seriously considering cancelling, even though we already have our airline tickets. I'm very disappointed in the change and just don't want to spend thousands of $$ to be in DR for 3 days. If I wanted to do that, I'd be in a hotel and not a cruise. I know it's always a possibility and Celebrity gave me a ligit reason, but I'm still bummed.

I suppose I'm looking to my CC friends to tell me reasons why we should or shouldn't cancel, basing it upon your experiences at these places. We've never been to DR at all, nor have we been to Grenada or St. Kitts, 2 places we really wanted to see. HELP!! :eek:

Our 2/06 cruise just changed itineraries -- they've dropped Grenada and St. Kitts and we'll now be in the DR for 3 days, 2 at Casa de Campo and 1 at Catalina Island.

I am very sorry to hear that due to a change in the itinerie you will not be stopping in Grenada-you will be missing out on a visit to a beautiful island.

I can understand why you're disappointed. I'd be disappointed too if my itinerary changed as that is the biggest factor in why I choose the cruises I choose.

As far as your cruise goes, I have not been to the D.R. but I've heard good things about their beaches. I have been to St Kitts and it was okay. I would not rate it among the top islands I've been to. I liked Antigua, Aruba, St Martin, St John, and the BVIs all much better (and some others a little better).

So, because I've never been to the D.R. and I thought that St Kitts was just okay, I would choose a cruise with the D.R. over one with St Kitts.

Robin G - I too, am booked on one of the Constellation sailings that changed itineraries. This is being discussed on my roll call (12/3/05) and also on another thread, and the info from other posters that talked to their TA's is that the Celebrity website is slightly incorrect. Grenada was dropped, but St. Kitts is still on.

This is the info posted elsewhere and confirmed by other posters that called Celebrity:

Sat 12/03 San Juan, Puerto Rico - Embark - Times are Subject to Change 11:00 PM

Sun 12/04 Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic 05:00 PM

Mon 12/05 Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic 08:00 AM

Mon 12/05 Catalina Island, Dominican Republic 09:00 AM 05:00 PM

Tue 12/06 At Sea

Wed 12/07 Bridgetown, Barbados 09:00 AM 05:30 PM

Thu 12/08 Basseterre, St. Kitts/Nevis 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

Fri 12/09 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 08:00 AM 05:30 PM

Sat 12/10 San Juan, Puerto Rico - Disembark - Times are Subject to Change 07:00 AM

So, only an overnight in Casa de Campo, and they replaced Grenada with Catalina Island. Not a fair trade, in my opinion, especially because I chose this itinerary to see Grenada again (I love it there) :(

As far as the DR goes, I spent a week there in March at a resort and basically, there isn't much to do on the island outside of resorts or some golf. Not a port that I was looking forward too, so even a night there isn't too exciting for me. If we hadn't already paid for the cruise and airfare (and convinced some friends to come along with us) we would be considering changing to a different itinerary (the other S. Carib itinerary was more interesting to us overall - Aruba, Margarita Island, St. Lucia, etc).

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

Thanks for the input, guys.

I spoke with Celebrity again today. They confirmed that they have indeed cancelled both the St. Kitts and the Grenada stops for this cruise as follows:

Sat, Feb 11 San Juan, Puerto Rico Departure Depart 11:00 PM

Sun, Feb 12 Casa De Campo, Dominican Rep Docked Arrive 5:00 PM

Mon, Feb 13 Casa De Campo, Dominican Rep Docked Depart 8:00 AM

Tue, Feb 14 Catalina Island, Dom Rep Tendered Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Wed, Feb 15 At Sea

Thu, Feb 16 Bridgetown, Barbados Docked Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 5:30 PM

Fri, Feb 17 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:30 PM

Sat, Feb 18 San Juan, Puerto Rico Arrival Arrive 7:00 AM

They told us they would not be bringing Grenada back anytime soon due to hurricane damage as they are rebuilding. I don't know what the problem is with going to St. Kitts.

We are cancelling and are going to try to find something else. Thanks! :)

Robin G - Now I'm confused...you confirmed this with Celebrity? Because now they have updated their website to match the itinerary including St. Kitts. I've also heard from some folks on other threads that say Celebrity confirmed the inclusion of St. Kitts verbally, prior to their updating the website. Nice mix of info we are getting from Celebrity...:rolleyes:

re: the reason for dropping Grenada...I'm not really inclined to buy it. Grenada has been rebuilding since Hurrican Ivan (which was some time ago, not recent) and they were continuing to have stops there, when the damage was much worse. Reports I have seen are that any recent hurricane damage did not affect the southern tourist areas. Interesting reasoning from Celebrity....

Anyway, good luck with your new choice (I might have done the same if I weren't locked in) and have a great cruise!

re: the reason for dropping Grenada...I'm not really inclined to buy it. Grenada has been rebuilding since Hurrican Ivan (which was some time ago, not recent) and they were continuing to have stops there, when the damage was much worse. Reports I have seen are that any recent hurricane damage did not affect the southern tourist areas. Interesting reasoning from Celebrity....

Have you been told that Grenada has been sidelined using hurricane damage as an excuse? Hurricane Emily cause practically no structural damage in the south of the island- was limited to the north and main damage was to ocoa trees and banana plants. Structural damage was confined to far north of Grenada.

Much hard work has been done since Hurricane Ivan and although still much to do Grenada has no problems which would affect visitors from the cruise ships.

If they are using this as an excuse then they are being less than truthful about current conditions in Grenada which I find very sad as such actions are not only disappointing cruisers looking forward to visiting but is also unhelpful to Grenada's economic recovery from such a major natural disaster.

Here, here - denboy! I'll second that!

I was very concerned about the info Celebrity gave to Robin G re: dropping Grenada. I emailed them yesterday and the response was much more vague - told me to call customer service and quoted their policy - which I did this morning and still didn't get any specifics as to why the drop. I guess that is better than the hurricane damage excuse, but it concerns me that this info was given to ANYONE as the reason for dropping the port.

Sucks to miss Grenada, any way you slice it.

denboy - Thanks for your eloquent words and your many great comments regarding Grenada.

• 2 weeks later...

Does somebody knows if there is a shore excursion from Catalina Island to another place to see? Well I really don't like to much the beach and I would like to see another thing. I live in Puerto Rico a tropical island and 10- minutes from the beach, you can understand me.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

Hey Lil,

They still dont have the website updated since they show 145pm depts from CDC and we arent getting there until 5pm. Not sure why they havent advised the Shore Excursion people to change the website since they are still offering tours that are impossible that day.

If I remember correctly when we did Catalina Island about 3 years ago, they did offer excursions to the mainland. You got on another boat and went to the mainland to start the tour (probably CDC dock). Not sure what they will offer though. Probably some of the things showing at the CDC stop now. You could see if there is anything showing there that you want to do, then call Celebrity to see if someone knows if they will be offering them until they get the website updated.

Edited- Just sent Celebrity an email asking them to get someone to update both the CDC and Catalina excursions. Will let you know what they say.

2 days there equals a week in the brig on the Connie. Maybe they can arrange an excursion to the other side of the island and you can watch the fighting in Haiti. Well atleast they should let you bring a couple of bottles of DR rum back to your cabin. You'll need it!:eek:

Yippee!!! :D Just saw a posting by a TA on another thread...and confirmed on Celebrity's website...Grenada is back and the original time into Casa de Campo is restored. My online TA is about as useful as snowshoes in Mexico - so I can't personally confirm. Anyone out there with a great TA that can confirm this?

Just got a note from Celebrity advising that the itinerary is back to original stops with Grenada and Barbados swapping days. They said they are working to update the shore excursions.

Good to hear they have come to their senses and will now be stopping off in Grenada

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

boy oh boy, joy of joys

just what i'd want to do, go to an island where even the cruise ship crew warns the pax to NOT go ashore there!!

the crew told us that several trips prior to ours a group of big guys went up the street (thinking that numbers and big stature would protect them) got so badly beat up that they had to be hospitalized there.

so we thought, hey how bad could it be?? we walked up to the town area and were met by two riot police with riot shotguns and riot batons (just in case!)

we did go to altos de chavon. it WAS beautiful. but to be stuck there for 23 hours at a place that is unsafe, and inhospitable to tourists........

so... yup i'd drop that cruise!

Archived