Tell me about your Christmas-New Year cruise?

We're looking to book a Princess Christmas - New Year cruise for Dec 2016. The Emerald Princess will be in Australia and it's another opportunity to enjoy a grand class ships. The Tasmania + NZ B2B is especially appealing, as we'll experience a cool festive season for a change :).
I see the launch fare for an aft balcony is about $1000 pp dearer than a NZ February cruise. Will the food be a little more 'festive' in that case or is this price just a reflection of the demand?
We're expecting to see lots of children - is this the case?
I saw some cabins already booked (16 months out) and as we want the same cabin for both legs, is it wise to book early?Furthermore, as you can't buy insurance outside of 12 months, does one have no option but to risk the deposit? In our case it's the 20% one, as we have no FCCs.
Finally, how likely is a price drop with the Christmas cruises?
Any other tips or help would be graciously received. :) Edited by Kinkacruiser

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']We're looking to book a Princess Christmas - New Year cruise for Dec 2016. The Emerald Princess will be in Australia and it's another opportunity to enjoy a grand class ships. The Tasmania + NZ B2B is especially appealing, as we'll experience a cool festive season for a change :).
I see the launch fare for an aft balcony is about $1000 pp dearer than a NZ February cruise. Will the food be a little more 'festive' in that case or is this price just a reflection of the demand?
I saw some cabins already booked (16 months out) and as we want the same cabin for both legs, is it wise to book early?Furthermore, as you can't buy insurance outside of 12 months, does one have no option but to risk the deposit? In our case it's the 20% one, as we have no FCCs.
Any other tips or help would be graciously received. :)[/quote]

Hi Anna,

We did a Christmas/New year cruise on the Diamond and we've done three New Year cruises, Dawn, Diamond and Sapphire. The Christmas/New Year cruise was our very first cruise and I too wondered if lots of kids would be an issue. As it turned out, there were lots of kids and they filled the main pool and jacuzzis pretty much all the time but we enjoyed the adults only aft pool area which has continued to be our favourite spot on the Diamond and Sapphire.

There are festive decorations everywhere, particularly in the Atrium. There was even a snow making machine on our first cruise. The usual Turkey and Plum pudding is added to the menu Christmas Day and New Year's Eve usually offers lobster.

I really enjoy New Year on board. When at home we are usually in bed asleep by midnight but there is so much on offer on the ship we party into the wee hours. At dinner you are supplied with hats and noise makers etc. so you can make an absolute nuisance of yourself...if you wish.

The prices are always higher for these cruises and it isn't to cover the cost of the streamers and the turkey. It is because they are popular so Princess can charge more.

We always book about a year ahead, mainly because we can only cruise at a certain time each year so want to make sure we don't miss out. On every Princess cruise I have taken (apart from my first which was over Christmas) there has always been a price drop and Princess have allowed me to re-book and get the lower fare. That is the great thing about future cruise letters.

You will get your deposit back if you cancel before a certain time. I can't remember the exact number of days but you will find it on the website.

I'm sure you will get lots of others offering their advice.

cheers

Stu

We do most of our cruises around Christmas time, usually disembarking a few days prios to Santa coming (due to DWs work) but not an actual Christmas cruise, aging parents so worried we may miss their last Christmas.

The Christmas decorations often seem to go up for our cruise and he Christmasy music starts, my BiL is dead ken in us doing a family Christmas cruise, but I doubt we'd get my dad on, though maybe if we got him an AIBP that may work, but I don't think I've ever seen Tooheys Old so nope.

By the way which Emerald to Tas are you looking at we've got a hold on one.

[quote name='GUT2407']We do most of our cruises around Christmas time, usually disembarking a few days prios to Santa coming (due to DWs work) but not an actual Christmas cruise, aging parents so worried we may miss their last Christmas.

The Christmas decorations often seem to go up for our cruise and he Christmasy music starts, my BiL is dead ken in us doing a family Christmas cruise, but I doubt we'd get my dad on, though maybe if we got him an AIBP that may work, but I don't think I've ever seen Tooheys Old so nope.

By the way which Emerald to Tas are you looking at we've got a hold on one.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're going to Tassie on the Emerald . We are also looking at the 12-19th Dec (2016) followed by NZ 19 th Dec- Jan 2. Edited by Kinkacruiser

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']Looks like you're going to Tassie on the Emerald . We are also looking at the 12-19th Dec (2016) followed by NZ 19 th Dec- Jan 2.[/QUOTE]

We may get to meet on the Tas leg then.

We seem to kep cruising back to Tas again and again.

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']We're looking to book a Princess Christmas - New Year cruise for Dec 2016. The Emerald Princess will be in Australia and it's another opportunity to enjoy a grand class ships. The Tasmania + NZ B2B is especially appealing, as we'll experience a cool festive season for a change :).
Any other tips or help would be graciously received. :)[/QUOTE]

We did Christmas New Year 2013/14 - and paid up full amount by Feb 213. Used an online TA. Every now and again I would look and check if the prices dropped. Not that it was an issue - just curious. Then low and behold there was a price drop, a "sale" appeared on the Princess Site, early July. With nothing to lose, and perhaps something to gain, I contacted the big "E" and told them of the price drop, was there anything they could do about it. Sure enough, they got on to it, and came back with a yes, and we kept the same cabins (no surprises there - pointy end deck 10) and got a big fat cheque back on 30/7/2013. So bonus. As for the atmosphere, fantastic, fabulous New Years Eve party, or parties, we got hats, blowers, balloons great. Ship was decorated fabulously. Santa came for the kids on Christmas morning. Didn't realise there were that many "littlies" on board. Snow machine for the kids, Santa came down in the lift, there was commentary on Santa's arrival, ringing of sleigh bells. So it costs a little more at Christmas, it's worth it.
I would suggest you book early, I remember booking ours in Sept 2012. Edited by dizzy1948

[quote name='dizzy1948']We did Christmas New Year 2013/14 - and paid up full amount by Feb 213. Used an online TA. Every now and again I would look and check if the prices dropped. Not that it was an issue - just curious. Then low and behold there was a price drop, a "sale" appeared on the Princess Site, early July. With nothing to lose, and perhaps something to gain, I contacted the big "E" and told them of the price drop, was there anything they could do about it. Sure enough, they got on to it, and came back with a yes, and we kept the same cabins (no surprises there - pointy end deck 10) and got a big fat cheque back on 30/7/2013. So bonus. As for the atmosphere, fantastic, fabulous New Years Eve party, or parties, we got hats, blowers, balloons great. Ship was decorated fabulously. Santa came for the kids on Christmas morning. Didn't realise there were that many "littlies" on board. Snow machine for the kids, Santa came down in the lift, there was commentary on Santa's arrival, ringing of sleigh bells - great. So it costs a little more at Christmas, it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds wonderful Liz. I keep an eye on prices too :)

[quote name='awesome girl']Why not Gut it's the bestest State, a little cool though.:D[/QUOTE]

No arguments there, we have thought of moving to TAS many times.

Indeed I doubt DW would have agreed to first cruise if it hadn't been going to Tassie including Port Arthur.

When we went on Spirit of Tasmania she was violently ill on what the Capt said was the smoothest crossing he'd ever had.

A couple of years later We were looking at a cruise and Port Arthur persuaded her (she had just finished her PhD on Children Convicts and big chunk of it was on Point Puer.

After the cruise we were both hooked.

Next cruise sailed into Cyclone Monica, waves breaking on out 7th floor balcony, hundreds lined up at medical centre for shots, she just kept up with her Travelcal, ginger and green apples, right as rain, now we were really hooked.

Last year, shock of shocks, cruise 4 to Tamania, Bass Straight as only the Straight can be (floor shows cancelled as dangerous to dancers) SHE still no troubles.

Disappointed our round Aus isn't going to TAS.

[quote name='awesome girl']For some reason Princess on their round Australia and New Zealand don,t
seem to do Tassie, we have done 2 and neither one came here, it would
have been nice to cruise into Burnie and Hobart, and see them from the
sea.:D[/QUOTE]

Cruising into Burnie's nothing very special but up the Derwent and into Port Arthur are spectacular.

BTW the circumnavigation was put on our Bucket List straight after the first 8 mightier to Tas but had to wait till SHE could get time off work.

The fact that it includes the South Island of NZ is a bonus, but would gladly drop Bali for a day in Tas.