I day in Rome

good and bad

Newie poster here!!

Travelling on P&O Azura departing Soton 12th Septemer.

We have been to Rome via Civitavecchia once before on an privately organised tour but felt that we experienced very little.

Is there anyone who could suggest a way of seeing edited highlights instead of just drive bys? Any suggestions to make the very best of the one long day there would be very much appreciated.

We're considering whether to travel from Florence by train and stay overnight in Rome so that we could get an early start and (potentially) beat some of the crowds at St.Peter's, particularly as our Rome day is a Sunday

Thanks for reading

If you're suggesting what I think you are - which is getting off the ship in Florence and then rejoining the next day in Rome, I don't think that would be allowed. However you'd have to check that with P&O direct.

Rome would be very difficult to do everything in a day though IMHO. If you want to really see Rome, perhaps a few days land trip would be better.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your response Homelessbear.........yes, I did think I should ask P&O if this would be allowed and you've just jogged my memory.....well done!

A longer trip would be great but time is always limited and there are so many places to visit....will just have to make time.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for your response Homelessbear.........yes, I did think I should ask P&O if this would be allowed and you've just jogged my memory.....well done!

A longer trip would be great but time is always limited and there are so many places to visit....will just have to make time.

Thanks again for your help.

As you want to try and squeeze everything in I am wondering if Rome on your own ,with p an o may be a good idea. You get taken to Rome and dropped off, and that's it.

You will be given a time to be back at the pick up point. The time in between is up to you to run around as much as you like.

I suggest that as you don't have the worry of getting back to the ship before she sails.

Catching the last possible train back, and then encountering problems is not a good way to end the day.

Any entry tickets you can purchase on line before you go?? To cut down on queing for tickets.

Somebody posted on this subject quite recently. They have done Rome 2/3 times various ways..diy etc. They felt the p and o way was best as it took away the worry aspect and they felt they ended up with more time to look at things.

We did the 'Rome on your own' excursion which ensured that the transfers were with P&O so no worries re being late. We were dropped off at the Vatican and then got a taxi to the Forum / Coliseum before walking back to the Vatican area in our own time.

To be honest there is no way that you can see the best of this amazing city in one day - we've tried and failed. We've tried a 2 day stay pre cruise and failed as well !!

Just pick what you want to see and, if we were you, we'd do the Rome on Your Own trip

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised from Athens to Rome on Queen Elizabeth last September and booked a cruise only fare, arranging our own flights (using BA air miles) for 2/3 days before and after. It took some organising as obviously we had to make our own way to and from airports. In Rome, we booked the Rome on your Own trip, taking our luggage with us. Obviously we didn't use the return leg, but we could take our luggage on the coach and it was only a short walk from the coach park near the Vatican to our hotel (The Columbus, an amazing place - a 14th century papal palace. Unmodernised but full of character and not expensive. Used a HOHO bus but a demonstration and a special mass meant our nearest stop wasn't always available. We did do a lot in the 1 whole and 2 half days we had - an awful lot of walking, my knees knew about it! If you do Rome on your Own from the ship, plan what you want to do in advance and pre-book to avoid queues (we had a 3 day ROMA pass). Don't be too ambitious - you need to get back to the ship. Go again on a city break. Wonderful city - enjoy it.

The queues inside The Vatican are ridiculous and completely spoiled the experience for me - you are herded like cattle. Don't attempt it in a one day trip. Rome is a walking city but the Metro and buses are easy to use. Buy tickets for Coliseum and Forum at Palentine Hill - no queues. Spanish Steps and Trevi are in the same area - lots of nice little wandering streets around there. Piazza Navona is a nice area to spend time in. TripAdvisor is full of info and tips. If the weather is good, stay outdoors, museums are for when it rains! You can do a lot in one day but enjoy it - you're on holiday! The Rome on your Own with P&O is a good option.