August 21, 2015 - Enchantment of the Seas - Review with QUESTIONS!

Ericular

I agree 100%. We're still new to cruising, but I do wish it wasn't such an unknown for each cruise. If we can all get on the same page that a suit is overkill for a 3-day Bahama cruise, that's fine - all the more room in the suitcase. But yes, can we at least get up to business casual for formal night? If not, let's not call it formal night in the Compass and list the dress code. What's the point?

I had an idea since the Enchantment has a 2 level dining room, and the two levels hardly interact - make one level or the other be the more "formal" level, and the other more casual. Anyway.....

Same here. We didn't get around as much on our Princess cruise, so this was a fun side of cruising to discover. We won't miss stuff like this again!

We booked a 3 day on Enchantment a few weeks ago - and until your thread I didn't even realize there would be a formal night :o I just assumed no one would bother I guess. I was planning on business casual for all nights until I realized that apparently people DO dress up for Halloween (which is also the second night - formal night I am guessing).

I agree 100%. We're still new to cruising, but I do wish it wasn't such an unknown for each cruise. If we can all get on the same page that a suit is overkill for a 3-day Bahama cruise, that's fine - all the more room in the suitcase. But yes, can we at least get up to business casual for formal night? If not, let's not call it formal night in the Compass and list the dress code. What's the point?

I had an idea since the Enchantment has a 2 level dining room, and the two levels hardly interact - make one level or the other be the more "formal" level, and the other more casual. Anyway.....

Same here. We didn't get around as much on our Princess cruise, so this was a fun side of cruising to discover. We won't miss stuff like this again!

Your idea of making one dining room level for those cruisers who want a more formal 'formal' night is probably very unrealistic to accomplish. Dining room table layout takes place according to table size needs to be accommodated along with C&A status. I believe the higher the status the closer to the windows those guest are given preference to. Add to the fact that on a reservation, there is no stipulation as to whether the cruiser prefers 'formal attire' or not; then add to the consideration that what one considers formal enough, is not the same determination of what is formal to someone else. The cruise line wants it to be a welcoming experience, and has recommendations for dining, which at best are difficult to enforce.

• 4 months later...

Ummmm, that's because it is self service.

Touche...

To be fair, there were cruise staff walking around taking drink orders and bringing drinks, but they'd take my glass and it would be 5-10 minutes before they got back. That's when I realized it would be easier just to go get some water myself.

I was just contrasting this with the Ruby Princess breakfast and lunch buffets, in which every time there were staff taking drink orders immediately after you sat down, and were more attentive (like a typical restaurant).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, especially since many of the waiters on the Ruby were not only taking your drink order, but trying to upsell you on a drink package or wine tasting or specialty restaurant... so sometimes less is more. :D