galveston booked up - where to stay?

mj2015

My husband and i booked a last minute cruise out of galveston in November. We get it at 3pm the night before (to IAH as we arr coming from Canada) the cruise and There are no hotels in Galveston so we are looking where else to stay. We will not have a car and will not rent one. Should we stay near the airport and go back to the airport to take the cruise lines shuttle in the morning? My husband really wants to go to Nasa but how would that work? Take a taxi from the airport to hotel near nasa and do a couple of hours before taking another taxi to the ship? Or, as our flight out of texas lives at 5pm when we get backcan we see nasa on our way home? And vis taxi or bus? There are no excursions through the cruise line for galvestom so we'd have to do it on our own. Thanks for any suggestions!

We are flying in the day before our 10/18 cruise. I am booking a night at hotel near IAH that has a shuttle.

Morning of the cruise, we will be picked up at the hotel by http://galvestonexpress.com/ and driven to port. Upon return, we will do early off carry our own bags and meet the shuttle at 9:30AM back to IAH

I have read many good reviews on trip adviser and CC. about Galveston express.

I also got a last minute deal…was unsure of logistics, after much research this seems to be our best option.

I cruise November 2015. There are no excursions through carnival for galveston or nasa

Are you cruising first week in Nivember . If so it is Lone Star Motorcyvle Rally .

400000to 500000 of your closest friends will be on island for 4 to 5 days.

Keep looking between Houston asll the way down to Galveston and around Airports

We are flying in the day before our 10/18 cruise. I am booking a night at hotel near IAH that has a shuttle.

Morning of the cruise, we will be picked up at the hotel by http://galvestonexpress.com/ and driven to port. Upon return, we will do early off carry our own bags and meet the shuttle at 9:30AM back to IAH

I have read many good reviews on trip adviser and CC. about Galveston express.

I also got a last minute deal…was unsure of logistics, after much research this seems to be our best option.

Sounds almost like our plans, and I'm assuming it's the same cruise on the Navigator? We actually fly in on Friday, arriving around 8:40. Renting a car, but returning it on Saturday night. Staying in a hotel near IAH and Galveston Express is picking us up at the hotel that Sunday morning at 7:30 as well. We plan on carrying off our luggage and Galveston Express is scheduled to pick us up at 9:45 am and they will drop us off at the car rental place since our flight doesn't leave again until 6:45 pm.

We are planning on going to NASA on Saturday morning first thing, want to check out Galveston that afternoon. Friday, haven't really decided yet as the 3rd person in our party doesn't arrive until about 2:30 that afternoon.

So - anyway - sounds like we might see you on the shuttle?

Sounds almost like our plans, and I'm assuming it's the same cruise on the Navigator? We actually fly in on Friday, arriving around 8:40. Renting a car, but returning it on Saturday night. Staying in a hotel near IAH and Galveston Express is picking us up at the hotel that Sunday morning at 7:30 as well. We plan on carrying off our luggage and Galveston Express is scheduled to pick us up at 9:45 am and they will drop us off at the car rental place since our flight doesn't leave again until 6:45 pm.

We are planning on going to NASA on Saturday morning first thing, want to check out Galveston that afternoon. Friday, haven't really decided yet as the 3rd person in our party doesn't arrive until about 2:30 that afternoon.

So - anyway - sounds like we might see you on the shuttle?

It does look like we have the same plan....What hotel are you staying at on Sat? I haven't booked yet, I will try to keep them close to keep our driver happy

It does look like we have the same plan....What hotel are you staying at on Sat? I haven't booked yet, I will try to keep them close to keep our driver happy

We are staying at Marriott Towneplace Suites there next to Bush International. He's picking us up between 7:30 - 7:45 that Sunday morning. Come on over and share the ride!!

Rita

My husband and i booked a last minute cruise out of galveston in November. We get it at 3pm the night before (to IAH as we arr coming from Canada) the cruise and There are no hotels in Galveston so we are looking where else to stay. We will not have a car and will not rent one. Should we stay near the airport and go back to the airport to take the cruise lines shuttle in the morning? My husband really wants to go to Nasa but how would that work? Take a taxi from the airport to hotel near nasa and do a couple of hours before taking another taxi to the ship? Or, as our flight out of texas lives at 5pm when we get backcan we see nasa on our way home? And vis taxi or bus? There are no excursions through the cruise line for galvestom so we'd have to do it on our own. Thanks for any suggestions!

My initial reaction would be: Stay at an airport hotel, and arrange your transport to the dock in Galveston for the next day either on your own or as you suggested, back to the airport to pick up the cruise line transfer.

Working NASA in is going to be difficult. As you've probably figured out via G..... maps, IAH is NOT near NASA or Galveston, although NASA is on the way to or from IAH and Galveston.

My second thought would be: Arrange transport from IAH to a hotel near NASA on your arrival day. Do NASA the next morning, then on to the pier in Galveston through your arranged transport. I would NOT use taxis for this...it would be very expensive. I'd use a car service, or maybe Uber.

Draw back to this plan is you'll arrive at the pier tired from your NASA tour, and while you're touring NASA, you'll be worrying about getting Galveston so you don't miss your sailing, so you'll probably rush. I have to admit I do not know how long it takes to do NASA properly, maybe someone else can help with that.

What I'd really suggest is doing NASA when you return from the cruise, and changing your travel to spend an extra night in Houston after NASA. If you can't do that, then you can be the first off the ship in the morning of your return, have your transport setup ship-NASA-IAH, and go to NASA on your way back to the airport...but what to do with your luggage? If you book a car service for all of this, your luggage could just sit in the car, but it's not going to be cheap to do that.

Not sure what your best option would be....also remember you have to allow extra check in time at IAH on your return since you are getting on an "international" flight.

Edited by VideoTech

We are staying at Marriott Towneplace Suites there next to Bush International. He's picking us up between 7:30 - 7:45 that Sunday morning. Come on over and share the ride!!

Rita

Thanks....I just booked, daughter is not thrilled with sleeping on a pull-out.

But the price is great. Will see you on the shuttle, if not before.