Dress code MDR for kids

scgirl82

will they kick him out or not seat him? No

Do I feel it's appropriate? No. Sometimes in life, dress codes are important. 11 is a perfect age to begin this training.

My son didn't want to wear slacks. I felt that kids should have choices.

His choice was wear what momma wants him to wear, or, stay home with Grandma. He chose the slacks.

(Actually, this was back in the tux days)

After the reaction he received from the girls on the ship, he reminded me before our next cruise that we needed to get fitted for tuxes.

Now my mean side

Since when did 11 year olds start dictating what they will and what they won't wear?

Edited by klfrodo

Many posters will probably tell you that the "code" for elegant night is slacks for the male of the species, therefore end of discussion. I, personally, see nothing wrong with a child wearing "dress" shorts, but then I am not part of the fashion police and can't tell you what your particular Maitre D will say.

Is the dress code the same for both kids and adults in the MDR? My 11 year old has some nice shorts (long) he would like to wear on elegant night. Would that be acceptable? He would wear it with a nice Polo shirt.

I do not believe he will be "kicked out". If you feel your family looks nice, then go for it. It is your vacation and everyone in your family should be comfortable.

Now my mean side

Since when did 11 year olds start dictating what they will and what they won't wear?

Most kids have their style by the time they start pre-school. And I THINK kids should have some say in how they look and what they wear....they are't Mommy's little doll to dress the way she wants, they are little people. You could probably control what a child wears but you may be hard-pressed to control his reactions to that force. I don't think I'd want to eat a nice meal with a surly child...but then some parents would probably "control" the surlyness out of their child, too. YMMV

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Is the dress code the same for both kids and adults in the MDR? My 11 year old has some nice shorts (long) he would like to wear on elegant night. Would that be acceptable? He would wear it with a nice Polo shirt.

I'm certainly not the fashion police, but no it wouldn't be acceptable. Both my 10yo and 7yo happily dressed up for both elegant nights (they look forward to them). Most kids are dressed up (to some extent) in MDR on elegant night. Based on our trip on the Valor two weeks ago, your son dressing in shorts on elegant night would have definitely felt (and looked) out of place.

Edited by sarmat1

Last july my cusins two teen boys were not allowed in the dining room with khaki shorts (golf like) and button down shirts. This was on the paradise. They were a bit disappointed to miss lobster night. For what its worth be prepared to get turned away.

The dress code applies to children as well as adults.

It is UNLIKELY that they would ask a child to leave; but it is not completely implausible that it would happen. Just be prepared for a night on the Lido if any member of your party chooses to not dress according to the elegant night dress code.

Most kids have their style by the time they start pre-school. And I THINK kids should have some say in how they look and what they wear....they are't Mommy's little doll to dress the way she wants, they are little people. You could probably control what a child wears but you may be hard-pressed to control his reactions to that force. I don't think I'd want to eat a nice meal with a surly child...but then some parents would probably "control" the surlyness out of their child, too. YMMV

pre-school? really

Control? Maybe

Then again, I was a parent not a friend.

They're in their late 20's and early 30's now.

my son was 8 last year. he wore dress slacks, Sperry dress shoes, sports coat, button up shirt and a tie. next years cruise, he'll wear the same. the compliments came pouring in because its not common to see a child actually DRESSED UP. proud momma moment :p:p

as for when kids have their own style, i agree with a PP that by prek/kindergarten, they do. mine did. he's almost 10, and it hasnt changed much. by the time he was aware of clothing/colors/style (way before kindergarten), he had his preference. while yes, im the parent, there are other hills to die on.

Edited by KLD1019

Last year my (at the time) 16 month old had on a tuxedo tshirt and some dark pants on. We had any time dining and we sat at a table for 6 which was just my cruising party.

If anyone had a problem with that in the MDR and felt that it had a negative effect on their experience.... well, they have bigger issues in my opinion. :p

I worry about myself, I don't care what someone else is wearing.

Shorts every night other than formal night is fine with a decent shirt, I wear the same, my 12 year old would change right after dinner

Edited by dvond